How to get rid of lichen? Bad case.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
but always keep your soil in mind. dont go too heavy on any chemical or detergent, diluted peroxide, or castilian soap is safe, be careful with vinegar!

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
I would have thought that covering the soil of your bonsai with some kind of plastic would reduce any risk of contaminating the soil. Then spray or paintbrush works a treat.
Charles

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would brush first so that the lichen get small abbrassions, then apply kitchen(!!!) vinegar with a soft painter brush.
Cleaning vinegar has soaps in it.

Put it in the sun and brush again after a day.
Vinegar in small amounts should not hurt your plants at all. Acetic acid has a boiling point of 117°C but it will evaporate quite easily in the open air, and kitchen vinegar has just a 4-8% volume of acetic acid. If you put 50mL on your branches, and mix that with water a day later, the pH would likely drop with less than 1 point. Another watering and it's gone.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I would brush first so that the lichen get small abbrassions, then apply kitchen(!!!) vinegar with a soft painter brush.
Cleaning vinegar has soaps in it.

We have something called "alcohol vinegar" here, 6%, that is used for cleaning. I guess it works as you say.

20230527_081058.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm always extolling the virtues of 300 ppm hydrogen peroxide as a broad spectrum fungicide (and antibacterial). It is maybe too late @Clicio, but lichen is an algae-fungi symbiont. Kill the fungus = kill the lichen (maybe add a few drops of detergent).
Hydrogen Peroxide does kill off Lichen. I have always hesitated using it for unknown reasons. A diluted form may be an answer. So, I agree with your advice of a few drops with detergent. HOWEVER, do not mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. The combination produces a deadly gas. Google the mixture to understand more as it can be quite lengthy. One or the other, vinegar OR hydrogen peroxide, but not mixed together. I just wanted to add this caution…I dint know about this combination problem until I Googled whether I could mix the two for killing off shingled roof moss and lichen.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hydrogen Peroxide does kill off Lichen. HOWEVER, do not mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. The combination produces a deadly gas.

Thanks for the warning, I am one of those who would mix them without thinking .
Thanks!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
UPDATE:

The deed is done.
After some hours of careful brushing, and with the invaluable help of the tweezers, the little tree is free of the lichen.
It's quite leggy, and I guess the neglect AND the lichen are the culprits.
Now let's wait for it to recover and then chopchopchop.

BEFORE:
20230526_164445.jpg

AFTER:
20230528_090321.jpg

20230528_090315.jpg

Unfortunately I have found some deadwood (in fact rotten wood) down on the trunk, due to moss sticking to the base for many years.

Baku1875

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
UPDATE:

The deed is done.
After some hours of careful brushing, and with the invaluable help of the tweezers, the little tree is free of the lichen.
It's quite leggy, and I guess the neglect AND the lichen are the culprits.
Now let's wait for it to recover and then chopchopchop.

BEFORE:
View attachment 490663

AFTER:
View attachment 490662

View attachment 490661

Unfortunately I have found some deadwood (in fact rotten wood) down on the trunk, due to moss sticking to the base for many years.
That's a satisfying before and after comparison! good stuff!😀

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The deed is really well done!
Thanks for capturing and sharing the before and after photos.
Now the tricky part is staying on top of the removal so it does not repeat again.
Mighty fine work you did.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Looks like a lot of work, best of luck with it's recovery.

Top Bottom