Lichen on Very Old Engelmanns Spruce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi all,

I have had an Engelmanns spruce now for I think year 2, from Nature's Way. Unfortunately, I'm not a chronic documenter, though this post gives me reason to be, and just am a little concerned. Today I noticed some lichen starting on the bark, and upon reading, read that could indicate the tree maybe being a little off in terms of happiness.

Also, neither the Engelmanns or my random not-bonsaied weeping spruce, both in pots, have yet to push buds out, which I thought might happen by now. I'm in zone 6b Maryland and do think I fertilized with pellets too early this year, maybe early March.

Just thought I'd ask and see what you all thought. Both trees are pictured, and close ups of engelmann bark. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240401_164741.jpg
    20240401_164741.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 20240401_163755.jpg
    20240401_163755.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20240401_163835.jpg
    20240401_163835.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 46

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Not bad to have some. I've had it so thick on my juniper bark that it was holding too
much moisture and damaging the bark. It tweezes off pretty easily, and adds character actually.
I would warn against it on thin barked trees like hinoki that has peeling kind of bark.
I think it prefers shaded areas, but not limited to.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not bad to have some. I've had it so thick on my juniper bark that it was holding too
much moisture and damaging the bark. It tweezes off pretty easily, and adds character actually.
I would warn against it on thin barked trees like hinoki that has peeling kind of bark.
I think it prefers shaded areas, but not limited to.
It is a cool aesthetic, but I can see how too much could become burdensome.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have one hawthorn with a great deal of lichen. While I think it looks incredible, I’ve noticed that it somewhat inhibits backbudding, and can sometimes stifle small twigs. Of course this may be different on a conifer, and mine is positively covered in lichen so it’s quite different. I’ve been told by quite a few that it’s not dangerous, but it can flake off bark in some cases and will die off eventually in full sun.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sold. This is purportedly a wild collected specimen from Colorado that's around 150 yo si I just want what's best for it. I suppose if it starts creeping near the edges of the old bark or under, it may be time for a plan.👍 @Colorado

Top Bottom