Leaf problems on Hawthorn, need help!

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Buds broke early this year so I repotted about 2 weeks ago. Since then foliage was coming out nicely until about 3-5 days ago I started noticing some problems. I cant tell what it is though. We've had a few cold nights so I've been putting everything back in the greenhouse and putting them back out for sun during the day, if the temp allows for it. So I'm not sure if its weather related or if there's some pest/disease problem. I have applied a system insecticide to the soil, a 3-1 spray to the foliage and yesterday tried spraying diluted dawn dish soap on the leafs. I may have over done it but nothing seems to make any difference.

Any thoughts?IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2933.JPG IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2931.JPG IMG_2932.JPG IMG_2933.JPG IMG_2934.JPG IMG_2935.JPG

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would think fungus or insect, or cold. I have had early issues with haw leaves before, usually it'll put out new leaves if it's healthy so I would not worry too much. Treat with fungicide, and watch for insects in the greenhouse. And keep it out of frost.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
weather related

Odd because you been putting them in.

But I got a feeling we are going to see a lot more of this this year.

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That looks like an odd combination of too much nitrogen (large and wrinkly), pest damage (holes), weather (dieback while leaves are not hardened). I am willing to accept I am wrong about any of the above.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I've been putting everything back in the greenhouse and putting them back out for sun during the day, if the temp allows for it.
I have applied a system insecticide to the soil
3-1 spray to the foliage
yesterday tried spraying diluted dawn dish soap on the leafs.
I may have over done it but nothing seems to make any difference.

Any thoughts?]
Any or all of these are the likely problem. Why are you nuking the poor thing?
Moving a freshly potted tree damages new roots, which are necessary to sustain new growth. Insecticides and fungicides and dish soaps can damage brand new leaves. Unless it's dropping into the 20s, leave the tree alone outside for a few weeks and let it grow. Mine has handled frosts following repotting, with fresh leaves opening, without any damage.

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I admit I panicked and started throwing everything at it hoping something would work. It's definitely not getting into the 20s so I'll just keep it outside and not move it unless absolutely necessary.

As far as what to apply, should I lay off all for a while and see what happens? Or should I keep applying something?

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So, I'm pretty sure I can rule out the repotting and the weather as the source of the issue. The hawthorn continues to decline and now my trident is starting to have the same burnt, shriveled leafs. So whatever it is it seems to be spreading.
IMG_3021.JPG IMG_3022.JPG

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My guess is blight. But I haven't been able to find any potential cures, from what I've read once you get it game over. Some recommend removing the infected areas, while I may be able to do that with the maple, I think its too late for the hawthorn. If I remove all the infected areas, there wont be any foliage left. At least not enough, I don't think.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My guess is blight. But I haven't been able to find any potential cures, from what I've read once you get it game over. Some recommend removing the infected areas, while I may be able to do that with the maple, I think its too late for the hawthorn. If I remove all the infected areas, there wont be any foliage left. At least not enough, I don't think.
One thing you need to do for sure is to get these affected trees away from all of your others. So whatever it is doesn't spread more.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wonder if you haven't been so attracted to the leaves that you haven't looked elsewhere for the source of the problem.

I know hawthorn branches are kinda gnarly to begin with...but Yours look a little more black and nasty than normal.

Trunk pics? Other pics?

Soil?

History?

Throw them old mittens out....

And wash your hands before touching the other ones!

Sorce

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not much history, I bought it from a good bonsai nursery in Seattle in January and had it shipped to okc. It was in basic nursery pot with regular soil. I repotted just as buds were beginning to swell into a wooden grow box, not the red colander shown in one of the pics. I used pumice and lava with a little charcoal and pine bark. The pics below are from before the problem started. I haven't noticed a change in them. That isn't to say nothings wrong with them, just that since I've had it I haven't noticed any changes.

The maple I bought last September from ebay. Its in a large plastic nursery pot with dirt and some sand. Its new in the pot and hasn't fill it with roots so I left it as is this year, maybe two.

All my trees are new to me since last year, it was my first year in bonsai so I don't have much history with them. It was my first winter/spring in bonsai. Way to new to be able to diagnose haha expect when the leafs turn brown and curl up.

Attachments

• Feb '17 Bud Break1.jpg
    Feb '17 Bud Break1.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Feb '17 Bud Break4.jpg
    Feb '17 Bud Break4.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Feb '17 Bud Break7.jpg
    Feb '17 Bud Break7.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Feb '17 Bud Break9.jpg
    Feb '17 Bud Break9.jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Feb '17 Bud Break10.jpg
    Feb '17 Bud Break10.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Feb '17 Repotting1.jpg
    Feb '17 Repotting1.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Feb '17 Repotting2.jpg
    Feb '17 Repotting2.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 35

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The move seems a great one...
And at the worst time too...

Are you watering everyday?

What where the roots like? Pics?

a good bonsai nursery

I don't think a tree from a good bonsai nursery can make such a move....
Maybe an exceptional one....

If these where greenhoused it could be just that....they miss it..

In the future....

I would highly consider only buying local trees that have been housed the same as you can house them....

Which for me...

Means collecting local!

Sorce

tstrum

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, only when it starts getting dry. I didn't bare root, so the old root ball is still in tact and holds water a bit.

When is a good time to ship? I assumed dormancy...

I have a JBP from them and its doing amazing. I agree with your recommendation, I got too greedy with the trees up there since Oklahoma doesn't have anything even semi-decent in terms of bonsai material. Home depot, a TLC and street corner mallsai. And our local collecting is poor too. It all flat plains so only telephone pole trees, nothing with character.

I'm probably being too greedy, and just need to learn to appreciate whats available here since at least it may stay alive haha

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don't know what is affecting your trees, @tstrum, but try mixing 2 tablespoons of 3% hydrogen peroxide (from the pharmacy/grocery store) in a quart of water and spraying it on your trees. Repeat every few days. This will nix mildew and similar fungi as well as bacteria should your troubles be due to one or more of them. You won't see affected leaves change much, but the problem should stop progressing if it is fungal/bacterial.

Of course, quit spraying when the air there becomes drier or when it is obvious to you that it isn't working or us unnecessary.

Top Bottom