Kurume Azalea

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good job!

There is good evidence that old branches become less efficient over time and need to be regrown over the years. That said, considering antigen tree also stalled, perhaps it’s something else.

Just speculating …inner shin root ball water percolation issues comes to mind… as I usually need to drill our bigger tree’s shin to keep the percolation effective after a couple years … yearly souji sometimes helps.

Cheers
DSD sends

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good job!

There is good evidence that old branches become less efficient over time and need to be regrown over the years. That said, considering antigen tree also stalled, perhaps it’s something else.

Just speculating …inner shin root ball water percolation issues comes to mind… as I usually need to drill our bigger tree’s shin to keep the percolation effective after a couple years … yearly souji sometimes helps.

Cheers
DSD sends
I do have holes in to this one’s interior roots as it has such a large flair. And all was really good there. I have two other people in this area with these large old azaleas and both had the same sort of stalling issue. So all I can assume is weather related.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mystery.

Just a thought, exploring alternate ideas triggers by the data that some stalled and others didn’t. Also the Kurumes in general and Kozan tend to be on the cold hardy side. In any event, it’s a beautiful tree!

cheers
DSD sends

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mystery.

Just a thought, exploring alternate ideas triggers by the data that some stalled and others didn’t. Also the Kurumes in general and Kozan tend to be on the cold hardy side. In any event, it’s a beautiful tree!

cheers
DSD sends
Yeah I’d really love to know the answer but have no idea. Only thing I can think is the affected trees are all pretty old ones. I would have expected the Gekko to be more affected from weather than Kurume for sure. But it was very vigorous this spring.

Top Bottom