Just picked up this funky elm. What kind of pot you guys suggest ?

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well if that isn't interesting. Maybe a photo of the entire tree pot and all. Like this. Tree and pot from an angle like this.
View attachment 358976
image.jpg
Here hope this is better. I have weird lighting in my room this time of day lol. It’s just in a tiny 4 inch nursery pot now

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If this tree is new to you. I would allow it to acclimate and learn to keep it healthy before considering a pot.

Developing the canopy further would possibly give more direction of style pot for a down the road repot.

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If this tree is new to you. I would allow it to acclimate and learn to keep it healthy before considering a pot.

Developing the canopy further would possibly give more direction of style pot for a down the road repot.
I plan on repotting in a few weeks once it’s fully acclimated but I really just want to get it into a bigger pot so it can grow and develop more. It’s current pot is pretty tight and will dry out too quick but I also just want something nicer looking that will let me enjoy the tree more when I look at it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are some of the roots compromised?

Welcome to Crazy!

I like it.

I'd put it in something real formal.

Sorce

Tiki

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Your tree is giving me some strong War of the Worlds vibes. Not in a bad way...just creepy.

Funky tree gets a funky pot, but not so "loud" that it takes attention away from them legs. 🦵

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The space around the exposed roots seem appropriate. I'm not sure I would super over up pot this. You want development...keep it in a semi cascade pot for depth/development. If it drained good after watering... I might be apt to just slip it into a prettier sleeve if you will. And set it inside a nicer pot and leave alone this year. Elm need bright light. So it may sulk with the change in location. I wouldn't repot a sulking tree. Time will tell. Not knowing where or how this tree was kept and the light spectrumit seen prior. I'm all about exposed roots. So you did good with the purchase.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I would repot it soon into a round pot, roughly 6 inches in diameter by 2 to 3 inches depth. Or a rectangle roughly 8 x 4 x 2 or 3 inches. For example, I have a couple pots from "the Pot Punchers" who are members here on BNut. Sorce is a member of BNut and he makes excellent rectangular pots. Both of them are fairly modest in their prices. There are several potters who are members here who I didn't mention, please don't take offense.

IMG_20210105_222037874.jpg IMG_20210105_221902919 (1).jpg

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are some of the roots compromised?

Welcome to Crazy!

I like it.

I'd put it in something real formal.

Sorce
So they roots seem ok for but there are some fine feeders at the surface I watered it yesterday but it just seems like there’s not much soil in the pot. I am new to bonsai but just figured it would be good for the tree to have some more room and fresh soil to start the growing season.

That is what I am thinking as well just want a color that compliments the nice grey bark
Your tree is giving me some strong War of the Worlds vibes. Not in a bad way...just creepy.

Funky tree gets a funky pot, but not so "loud" that it takes attention away from them legs.
The space around the exposed roots seem appropriate. I'm not sure I would super over up pot this. You want development...keep it in a semi cascade pot for depth/development. If it drained good after watering... I might be apt to just slip it into a prettier sleeve if you will. And set it inside a nicer pot and leave alone this year. Elm need bright light. So it may sulk with the change in location. I wouldn't repot a sulking tree. Time will tell. Not knowing where or how this tree was kept and the light spectrumit seen prior. I'm all about exposed roots. So you did good with the purchase.
So it’s from Florida and I’m in NY thankfully it’s getting plenty of good light in a southwest window and night I have a couple CFL full spectrum tubes in desk lamp in my room. I’ll keep an eye on it but so far the newest leaves have grown from yesterday it’s only been 24 hours but 2 of my ficus and my BRT are growing quite nicely.

Thanks for the sleeve suggestion that might be good for now. I want something deeper for development but like you said I don’t want to go too big either

Funky tree gets a funky pot, but not so "loud" that it takes attention away from them legs. 🦵
haha no worries it is a little creepy in the shadows it’s nice and sunny now and it is looking very leggy for sure
I would repot it soon into a round pot, roughly 6 inches in diameter by 2 to 3 inches depth. Or a rectangle roughly 8 x 4 x 2 or 3 inches. For example, I have a couple pots from "the Pot Punchers" who are members here on BNut. Sorce is a member of BNut and he makes excellent rectangular pots. Both of them are fairly modest in their prices. There are several potters who are members here who I didn't mention, please don't take offense.

View attachment 359051 View attachment 359052
Cool thanks I’ll def check there stuff out for sure ! I’ll need a couple of more pots soon. I think I found one for the elm though it’s 6.5 inch diameter and like 2.5 deep

Attachments

• D377D5A6-2E6B-463E-89C5-C2F9AE1E12DE.png
    D377D5A6-2E6B-463E-89C5-C2F9AE1E12DE.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 11

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would allow it more time to acclimate then, by being brought indoors. Observe it. If it starts to drop leaves and sulk from the move. I would hold off on repotting. Many of my trees are from Florida. Acclimating is very important. Especially its been outside and now indoors.

I've one I'm waiting to ship from Florida. Waiting for spring. So it acclimates out on my bench. Coming from Schley bonsai nursery..It's being babysat currently paid for.

Bingobango21

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would allow it more time to acclimate then, by being brought indoors. Observe it. If it starts to drop leaves and sulk from the move. I would hold off on repotting. Many of my trees are from Florida. Acclimating is very important. Especially its been outside and now indoors.

I've one I'm waiting to ship from Florida. Waiting for spring. So it acclimates out on my bench. Coming from Schley

I've one I'm waiting to ship from Florida. Waiting for spring. So it acclimates out on my bench. Coming from Schley bonsai nursery..It's being babysat currently paid for.
For sure I’m going to wait at least a couple of weeks but it’s looking good so far. I noticed some of the newest growth has kept progressing since I unboxed it. But it’s good to be cautious most of my trees or cuttings are from Florida but most are starting to grow nicely now, especially my tiger bark and BRT

Top Bottom