Picked up a 3 pack of Kishu Shimpaku yalls guy!

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 49943
  • Start date Start date
Eric recommends a one gallon for the first repot (see his video). Don’t think you’ll get anything out of pushing that size.

He also has a unique way of uppotting the next uppot into an Anderson flat. Also in the video.

Last year I didn’t have any space for 1 gallon pots on the rack, so I put mine in a smaller container. Not as much growth, but the trees flourished. This fall these guys may head for the ground.

IMG_9836.jpeg

Cheers
DSD sends

Eric recommends a one gallon for the first repot (see his video). Don’t think you’ll get anything out of pushing that size.

He also has a unique way of uppotting the next uppot into an Anderson flat. Also in the video.

Last year I didn’t have any space for 1 gallon pots on the rack, so I put mine in a smaller container. Not as much growth, but the trees flourished. This fall these guys may head for the ground.

View attachment 506259

Cheers
DSD sends
Looking good!
What soil do you use in these nursery pots? I am thinking about Miracle Gro potting mix but I worry that maybe too wet?

Basically 4:1 1/8+ pumice:composted manure +5% Biochar.

It’s the basic grow mix most of the young trees are in except for azaleas and the pumice can be recycled/reused.

(Sometimes we toss in 1 part akadama from the sifting of larger akadama.) But not for junipers.

Joy share a hard lesson I learned when first starting out… One of the first things I had to come to grips with is to discipline ourselves and standardize the media used. So basically we only use two basic media mixes plus two for azaleas. Grow out and developmental/refinement. Size varies with the tree stage/species.

Right or wrong it’s what we use. The trees all seem to like it though.

Cheers
DSD sends

Looking good!
What soil do you use in these nursery pots? I am thinking about Miracle Gro potting mix but I worry that maybe too wet?

I did sunshine pro mix 40% 20% pine bark small chunks at homedepot %40 pearlite not perfectly measured. Would swap pearlite for 1/4 pummice.

One of the first things I had to come to grips with is to discipline ourselves and standardize the media used. So basically we only use two basic media mixes plus two for azaleas. Grow out and developmental/refinement. Size varies with the tree stage/species.
Is it so you can stay consistent across all trees on watering and fertilizing?

Yes, it cuts down the media variables one faces in the hobby so we can concentrate on other things. This is one of the keys to good practice

There are no surprises, or “I forgot that tree is in…” it also gets one really familiar of what each media acts inn different conditions, in addition keeps stocking and working with media (sifting, mixing, recycling) so much simpler.

Also mixing: Since we mix our own medias we know exactly what it contains.

Anyways, don’t want to get in a media battle, it’s just what we do.

Cheers
DSD sends

Looking good!
The problem with miracle grow is that it's mostly fines. You have to sift it and you don't end up with much at the end. You're better off sifting a bale of peat and adding pumice or pearlite to that for growing out.

The problem with miracle grow is that it's mostly fines. You have to sift it and you don't end up with much at the end. You're better off sifting a bale of peat and adding pumice or pearlite to that for growing out.
I am not using in a bonsai container. I intend to use it in nursery pots just like the commercial growers do. The added depth should help with pulling water down and out of the pots.

I prefer fabric pots to get fast growth look at the video on bonsaify YouTube

How to grow juniper fast its short and sweet

I am not using in a bonsai container. I intend to use it in nursery pots just like the commercial growers do. The added depth should help with pulling water down and out of the pots.
That's not going to overcome the issue caused by fine soil particles especially the part where they become hydrophobic when dry. I also would add more pearlite to the mix.

imho the mix OP described will work. It may not work as well as others, but watered properly the juniper will grow consistently.

There are lots of things to learn in bonsai, finding out what works for you in your yard is an important one.

Granted this changes over time, but one has to start somewhere.

Cheers
DSD sends

From the video both plants are the same everything except the pot. Thankfully for me I have a few fabric pots laying around.

The video

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230902_202153_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20230902_202153_YouTube.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 36
Eric is the boss on propagating junipers and JBP! Highly recommend his JBP course.

One could learn an awful lot by watching his videos.

Cheers
DSD sends

Cheers
DSD sends

That's not going to overcome the issue caused by fine soil particles especially the part where they become hydrophobic when dry. I also would add more pearlite to the mix.
Thanks for the advice. I don’t plan to let the soil to dry out totally so hydrophobic isn’t too much of a concern. I am adding turface and pumic to the mix though.

Thanks for the advice. I don’t plan to let the soil to dry out totally so hydrophobic isn’t too much of a concern. I am adding turface and pumic to the mix though.
I’ll state what I imagine is obvious to all, but I made this mistake when I first started… always sift any soil components you use, that is almost as important as what soil components you use.

I planted the last kishu from bonsaiafy.com in my pine tree mix with all the pearlite from the orignal pot. Drains beautiful will up the pummice in my pine mix next time.

Attachments

• 20230903_084301.jpg
    20230903_084301.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230903_084258.jpg
    20230903_084258.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 32
Back
Top Bottom