Just my short notes on interesting azaleas (with pictures)

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I find some azaleas, mostly satsuki cultivars, that I think I might want to add to my collection, I will post notes on them here. Probably usually a picture I found on the internet and what I like about it or some of the info given with the images.
As a beginner, who does not speak nihongo...
Constructive comments are welcome and part of the reason why I dont just make a folder on my desktop for this

Love a good azalea thread with pics. Looking forward to it.

Kokuko no Tsuki
Initially interested for fall color but the flowers have 'grown on me'
Its fairly high on my wanted list right now
There are close relatives that might be interesting, too
Screenshot (49).pngScreenshot (21).png

Aozora
I believe I've seen this with nice flowers somewhere but what's driving my interest really is Fall color. I dont enjoy the flowers in the image here very much, but they're alright

Screenshot (10).pngScreenshot (50).pngScreenshot (51).png

Shiryu no Mai
Again, nice Fall color. It's flowers are not my cup of tea

Screenshot (52).png

Interesting that you are so intrigued with azaleas yet not with the flowers. No criticism here, just that I find it interesting that you have to put up with flowers you don't like to enjoy the foliage. Reminds me of old Adam's Family episodes of the lady of the house cutting the roses off to enjoy the thorns.

Kinsai
I like this one best with some amount of bell shaped flowers in the mix
Wasnt named but I believe the image shows one
I prefer it to Chojuho but feel like it could still be better and even more spider lily -like

Screenshot (53).png
Spider lily, if I remember right symbol of death and parting lovers:
1654338840365.png1654338874998.png1654338998785.png

For Aozora, those flowers that lose the green colour drop. Touching those yellow leaves will likely cause most of them to fall off right away.
The yellow leaves with red spots are like the pink flowers with purple stripes. And the entirely red branches likely have purple flowers with white centers.
I usually get good fall colours on Aozora, and many satsuki. But I suspect the weather has to transition rapidly for there to be a good show. Else, it is too gradual.

Kokuko no Tsuki is know for the dark red colour. I have two sports. The white background one won best new flower just a few years ago.

Matsuri no Tsuki
There are many red/white combinations that might be nice and look similar, but just going by a selection of single pictures, this one might be one of the best

1654342881445.png

I'm sorry, but if you don't like purple flowers, I cannot be your friend.
What are some purple varieties? I just have very few pictures to go by and because I know there is a limit to how representative a single picture is in satsuki, it has to be very nice.
Moeka with a bit better color distribution, I might be interested.
But there dont seem to be very many purple satsuki. Most are white, salmon, pink or red. I think I especially dislike salmon in mixes

Suiho
Still has a clear white next to a variatrion of other colors, with no salmon. Might be interesting

1654414015623.png

Last edited:
What are some purple varieties? I just have very few pictures to go by and because I know there is a limit to how representative a single picture is in satsuki, it has to be very nice.
Moeka with a bit better color distribution, I might be interested.
But there dont seem to be very many purple satsuki. Most are white, salmon, pink or red. I think I especially dislike salmon in mixes

Suiho
Still has a clear white next to a variatrion of other colors, with no salmon. Might be interesting

View attachment 440402
My Lavender Lady is blooming now,I'll get a picture in a bit.

Last edited:
I am finding a fair amount with mixed colors that are nice but there is not much point in posting these because there are too many and it would not give any special attention to any if I posted them all. I will try to focus on unusual ones, like I did above. Still, here is a nice and more normal type

Ayasakura
Grown here as a flower tower

Screenshot (55).png

Hinomaru
Extraordinary flowers, colors seem to be white with red throat and uniformly so. Less variable than other varieties, seemingly

@penumbra I like some flowers but I am hard to please lol

View attachment 440200
I have one of these. Still recovering from import..."Hinomaru" is a nickname for the Japanese flag--red circle on white ground...

I am noticing I get annoyed by ugly leaves. I will have to get rid of my Macranthums

Also I found this, Rhododendron indcum 'Togenkyo'. But I know little about it other than what is obvious. It can be more reddish, and the bell shaped flowers can resemble those of Kinsai
1667287640136.png

Talking about leaf quality, checek out these two bonsai:
The large neagari Osakazuki, timestamped 21:24

Here, it is just not the variety. The health of these two is just insane, which is why they look so lush and dark green. Well, I kinda assume though that the look I like is also a sign of health.

I swear I have this memory of seeing an insane Nikko with very dense layered almost spiky foliage pads, extremely well done. But I can't find it and now I wonder if it was actually real.
The closest thing I can find is this Kozan:

Kozan, Nikko, Osakazuki, and to some respect Kinsai and Yata no Kagami are just on another level in terms of foliage quality.

Yeah, Yata no Kagami is the most graceful azalea Ive got, foliage-wise
I actually bought a number of varieties I previously mentioned in this thread in the online shop you linked me, Glaucus.
Hinomaru, Matsurinotsuki, Kokuko no tsuki - great finds
also Aka Kozan, if I remember right. I know Aka and Beni mean red, so it seemed like something I might like. The trunk was nice, too

I did not buy Shiryu no Mai because there wasnt one at decent price and I question if Id appreciate the flowers

If anyone knows of , ideally, sports or maybe relatives of Shiryu no Mai, let me know

Back
Top Bottom