Juniperus Communis yamidori, literati

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Found this one in the woods, really liked its potential as a literati. This one has only been potted, no styling.

I hate that common junipers are so impossible to bend. I don't know how every one of them don't snap in two every time a strong wind hits them with the lack of flex they have.

20231107_125154.jpg
20231107_125213.jpg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Found this one in the woods, really liked its potential as a literati. This one has only been potted, no styling.

I hate that common junipers are so impossible to bend. I don't know how every one of them don't snap in two every time a strong wind hits them with the lack of flex they have.

View attachment 516768
View attachment 516767

Literati is a tricky style to pull off effectively, at least it is for me. That said, the trunk on this little tree is probably well-suited to the style, so I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Are you sure it's a common juniper? If you found it in the woods, I'd assume it's an eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana).

Also, did you collect it recently? I don't know what your winters are like in Kentucky, but this isn't the best time to collect unless you can keep the roots from freezing solid while they heal.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Literati is a tricky style to pull off effectively, at least it is for me. That said, the trunk on this little tree is probably well-suited to the style, so I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Are you sure it's a common juniper? If you found it in the woods, I'd assume it's an eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana).

Also, did you collect it recently? I don't know what your winters are like in Kentucky, but this isn't the best time to collect unless you can keep the roots from freezing solid while they heal.
I can keep it protected, about to build a 16'x24' greenhouse, which will make that an even easier task. No scale bark, zero flex to any hardened branches, and the foliage looks like common juniper to me, though I could be mistaken.
Screenshot_20231110_201649_Gallery.jpg

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No scale bark, zero flex to any hardened branches, and the foliage looks like common juniper to me, though I could be mistaken.

You're probably right. Years ago I found an English yew growing in the woods, likely planted by a bird. I never would have expected to find one in the wild, but there it was. I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask you about your tree to see how certain you were about the I.D.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're probably right. Years ago I found an English yew growing in the woods, likely planted by a bird. I never would have expected to find one in the wild, but there it was. I just figured it couldn't hurt to ask you about your tree to see how certain you were about the I.D.
I have actually collected 3 or 4 of them similar to this so far, I know where quite a few of them are. I have been contemplating doing a forest with them. There are also tons of eastern red cedar in the area, I have some spectacular specimens I have located that I'll eventually collect when I feel up to the task.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Communis seems to be very difficult to collect as well. So I hope yours live!
I have difficulty finding a "right" way to style the cultivar versions of it. Padding is difficult with their foliage type.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Perfect literati material and looks rather healthy. Love that lower trunk detail.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have actually collected 3 or 4 of them similar to this so far, I know where quite a few of them are. I have been contemplating doing a forest with them. There are also tons of eastern red cedar in the area, I have some spectacular specimens I have located that I'll eventually collect when I feel up to the task.

Eastern red cedar is tricky. I've only seen two good ones, and I never had any luck myself getting them to respond to bonsai treatment. Also, be aware that you'll be inviting apple cedar rust into your collection.

Go ahead and give them a try if you want, but if your efforts are frustrated, don't blame yourself for failure. They're just challenging subjects.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eastern red cedar is tricky. I've only seen two good ones, and I never had any luck myself getting them to respond to bonsai treatment. Also, be aware that you'll be inviting apple cedar rust into your collection.

Go ahead and give them a try if you want, but if your efforts are frustrated, don't blame yourself for failure. They're just challenging subjects.

There's an apple tree next door or I would already have some eastern red cedar.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Communis seems to be very difficult to collect as well. So I hope yours live!
I have difficulty finding a "right" way to style the cultivar versions of it. Padding is difficult with their foliage type.
I think that's why I want to try a forest and just prune them into what I want rather than force it to conform. I rather like the ruggedness of communis. I'm just placing a wire loosely around the new growth so that they go in a suitable direction. Wiring to form them is pretty much impossible on any hardened off branches. Any flex on these I have immediately tells me no.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Would you consider repotting into a shallower wider pot? That pot looks really unstable for such a tall tree.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Would you consider repotting into a shallower wider pot? That pot looks really unstable for such a tall tree.

I was under the impression it's just a temporary pot that the root ball fit into nicely. I guess I shouldn't assume.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was under the impression it's just a temporary pot that the root ball fit into nicely. I guess I shouldn't assume.
Could be. He has only potted it on friday so I assume he wont be repotting it for another year or so. It just looks very wobbly to me especially when he put it balancing on that narrow plank 😁 But he will be putting it into a greenhouse over winter so wind shouldn't be an issue.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Could be. He has only potted it on friday so I assume he wont be repotting it for another year or so. It just looks very wobbly to me especially when he put it balancing on that narrow plank 😁 But he will be putting it into a greenhouse over winter so wind shouldn't be an issue.

That's a good point. It'll be important to secure the tree, so it's less likely to fall over in the wind. That said, if it's going to be a literati tree, then the final pot likely won't be much more stable.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a good point. It'll be important to secure the tree, so it's less likely to fall over in the wind. That said, if it's going to be a literati tree, then the final pot likely won't be much more stable.
I actually already repotted it after a day. (After it tipped over after strong winds hit the next day lol)

Top Bottom