Juniperus Communis first work

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It’s time I actually made some well thought out good decisions on this in-ground Common juniper…

This is what it looks like “pre-work”
IMG_8572.jpeg
IMG_8574.jpeg

As you can see there is some movement lower down, all be it slight (for a juniper that is).

Tho being a common juniper this is quite impressive since, they usually have a a very “straight-trunk bushy” growth habit, examples below.

IMG_8592.jpeg
IMG_8591.jpeg

The tree has this straight growth up top, which is what I focused on before (creating a naturalistic two-trunk formal upright from a layer)

IMG_8587.jpeg

Tho, since so many common junipers (the only wild juniper here in sweden) have straight trunks it’s probably a better idea to collect a more naturally ramified tree than to have to develop it post trunk chop.

Now, with all that out of the way, let’s get to the fun stuff shall we?

I’ll start by making a shari line, for now.

IMG_8579.jpegIMG_8575.jpeg
I find a good sharp box cutter makes a really nice and clean cut

IMG_8576.jpeg
I also found this type in the toolshed… I did not use it since I didn’t find that it was necessary, tho if I need to make a shari on shohin junipers they might come in handy, since they are so precise.

IMG_8580.jpeg

That’s really all there is to do for now.

I plan on making approach grafts somewhere in these areas in the future

IMG_8582.jpeg

Tho, I don’t have any stock in the form of a good juniper foliage type (kishu, shimpaku, itoigawa etc.)

They’re highly wanted. 😅

I haven’t found any online seller that ships stock to sweden for a reasonable price, tho I have found they do have the variety blauuw down south.

I will try to source some and get them shipped before spring next year, when I plan to make the grafts.

If you have experimented with blauuw do let me know if it’s a good foliage to look for or not.

Attachments

• IMG_8589.jpeg
    IMG_8589.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 6

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have experience with blaauw and with communis.
Don't use blaauw on communis; both are slow in our environments.

I'm ordering a couple kishu and itoigawa later this year. If you want, you can check the shipping from NL to SWE for a +/- 1kg package.
Usually the cuttings themselves cost around 12-16 euros, I get mine from spain or portugal but I can forward them - might save you a little.

First things first, if I were you I would focus on getting that communis out of the ground. Because that's the biggest challenge. They are picky about root work and repotting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have experience with blaauw and with communis.
Don't use blaauw on communis; both are slow in our environments.

I'm ordering a couple kishu and itoigawa later this year. If you want, you can check the shipping from NL to SWE for a +/- 1kg package.
Usually the cuttings themselves cost around 12-16 euros, I get mine from spain or portugal but I can forward them - might save you a little.

First things first, if I were you I would focus on getting that communis out of the ground. Because that's the biggest challenge. They are picky about root work and repotting.
I’ve noticed that the roots are sensitive, thanks for your help man!

Top Bottom