Just more R and R since last update.

Attachments

• 66AF88F1-0F8D-4998-9F9F-DE79AC017055.jpeg
    66AF88F1-0F8D-4998-9F9F-DE79AC017055.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 56
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I should probably reduce at least that top left branch now, do you think? Or wait until spring and bring it to a workshop?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just removed the wires from a Feb wiring my brother in law performed. It maybhave been a little soon to take off.. my Tsuga was starting to cut in, but it is also a much more vigorous grower. I think the bends held pretty well as is.341515F5-89F7-4A64-B8AD-112D75E88E6F.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Coming along.

Attachments

• 116DF1B4-E52F-49AE-9338-C61959F305E5.jpeg
    116DF1B4-E52F-49AE-9338-C61959F305E5.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey quick question; but I found some spiders on the junipers that are weaving pretty tight webs.

I thought spiders were the good guys, but I’m a little concerned the webs might kill off the foliage.

should I just try and blast them off with some water?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey a couple more questions:

My friend thinks I should take off the lowest cascade branch as the next one up is coming into it’s own for holding the role. I am on board... eventually but also think that leaving the current cascade will only help the base/ taper. Any thoughts? Should I remove now or later?

Also, I’m planning on repotting a bit deep to hide some of those roots sticking out. Should I adjust the angle to make it more upright?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey a couple more questions:

My friend thinks I should take off the lowest cascade branch as the next one up is coming into it’s own for holding the role. I am on board... eventually but also think that leaving the current cascade will only help the base/ taper. Any thoughts? Should I remove now or later?

Also, I’m planning on repotting a bit deep to hide some of those roots sticking out. Should I adjust the angle to make it more upright?
925266CA-7647-4829-828F-2698F9865C19.jpeg47222902-7446-4A84-879F-D401E23F98E8.jpeg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
spiders on the junipers that are weaving pretty tight webs.
What became of the spiders?
the current cascade will only help the base/ taper.
That's my intuition as well, but I have the same question because with pines, their apex increases girth, more than lower branches
which is why Adair posts the photo of the JBP's growing 10-15' tall but being corrected for as bonsai down low.
Should I adjust the angle to make it more upright?
Sorry just seeing this, I think you've brought this guy around really nicely, looking good.
I would not, the angle out of the soil is good, and the rest of the tree looks pretty well upright to me.
Was hoping to see your hemlocks in the background, but this ones doing great.
Have you repotted it yet? Didn't look like you had changed the angle if you did.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What became of the spiders?

That's my intuition as well, but I have the same question because with pines, their apex increases girth, more than lower branches
which is why Adair posts the photo of the JBP's growing 10-15' tall but being corrected for as bonsai down low.

Sorry just seeing this, I think you've brought this guy around really nicely, looking good.
I would not, the angle out of the soil is good, and the rest of the tree looks pretty well upright to me.
Was hoping to see your hemlocks in the background, but this ones doing great.
Have you repotted it yet? Didn't look like you had changed the angle if you did.
I sprayed off the spider webs with water, but no damage.
I have not yet repotted.. may soon. I’ll stick with same angle, but go a little deeper/shallower in the same pot.
I only gave it a light trim late last summer and No wiring since Jan 2019, so should be plenty of energy.

Thank you for the compliment!

The hemlock are not quite moving yet, though the buds are swelling.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice bush!
Coming up on 10 years in captivity. I usually bring to a workshops with a hemlock, because the experienced hands like working the shimpaku with the soft foliage. Much softer than a JBP anyways.
I haven’t made it to a workshop in years now though. Last attempt this past Spring I drove through snow to a NVBS workshop and it was canceled, but no one bothered to let me know. Maybe I’ll try the Baltimore club this Spring?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Coming up on 10 years in captivity. I usually bring to a workshops with a hemlock, because the experienced hands like working the shimpaku with the soft foliage. Much softer than a JBP anyways.
I haven’t made it to a workshop in years now though. Last attempt this past Spring I drove through snow to a NVBS workshop and it was canceled, but no one bothered to let me know. Maybe I’ll try the Baltimore club this Spring?
Vast improvment in tree since 2013. Love gorgeous cascading branch😍. Also love most upright trunk😍. Would be perfect for tree growing on edge of cliff(with special custom made pot)and use both🤗. Why not take to National Bonsai collection for help;)? Helpers there surely willing to offer assistance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
We had been planning to remove the lowest branch, so I had been reducing it, but maybe it stays for a while longer. Pretty good nebari for a juniper.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Same old. It is looking healthy, but hasn’t been repotted in a while. The water pools for a moment, at the surface of the pot. I was thinking I’d desoiliate the surface and put some aggregate on top, maybe mixed with some spaghnum?

IMG_7434.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My friend recommends to leave the wire on for over a year. I see his point to let it go.. but, I think I pay too much attention to let it bite real hard.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Coming right along!
Yes the soil looks repellant. As for the sphagnum I would wait till the weather dictates.
Expecting hotter temps this year I'm assuming, but I'd wait.
If I were seeing runners, I would say repot now, but I am not.
My Kishu's are running up here already. I have an Itoigawa that is in bad need of potting.
I got it at the Nationals last year and the soil is absolutely terribly piss poor.
It is not running yet, and I have my doubts that it will ever run if it stays in the soil that it is.

Additionally the 2 lowest branches are becoming a bit more confusing with the recent shortening.
I would still leave it on, taking nothing off before you repot. Nothing more than underneath cleanup
of branches. In particular the yellowing shoot.
If the foliage is exposed to sunlight, leave it till after recovery from repotting.

Top Bottom