Difficult Juniper Raw Structure

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Uncovered bar/parallel branching, inverse taper, stiff junctions etc.
IMG_5045.jpeg
IMG_5047.jpeg

After large necessary chops creating interest and trunk movement, beginning of deadwood and shari, and application of thick wire, the initial styling is complete
IMG_5054.jpeg
IMG_5058.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5041.jpeg
    IMG_5041.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 28

TimIAm

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
From the last two pictures it's hard to see what the trunk is doing after the lowest branches.

I understand it's a 2D photo so looks can be deceiving, but one helpful design consideration that's helped me in the past is to consider the negative space between your branches when you're looking at the tree from your chosen front. Think about the negative space as a deliberate choice and part of your composition. Think about how the negative space(s) on the left side relate to those on the right. Try and avoid clumps of overlapping branches and then having a big gap above them. Even if the branches are not clumped together from the same side of the trunk, one branch can create this effect with a back branch from a given angle. You need to avoid that from your chosen front.

Another good question is, 'how do my own eyes travel over the composition'. With this tree, my eyes start at the base and then travel straight up and then over to the left as it follows the wired down top branch and then back down to the clump of branches on either side.

What are your future plans for the tree / design? You may already planning an apex or more branches, so my comments may be premature, but you didn't mention. The top just doesn't sit right for me. Maybe if more of the trunk line was exposed, but I still think it needs a little bit extra on the top and maybe something slightly out to the right to balance it out.

I think it's great you are sharing your work and designs. I am a person that likes to dive in and learn by doing and learn by my mistakes. I've seen some harsh feedback, but I think if you can take the constructive feedback and work that into existing and future designs then you will only benefit and you will develop. There are plenty of people on here who can give you some really good insights.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Considerations at this point.

Branch length and thickness in relation to trunk thickness and the branches position on the trunk?

Thinning portions to retain healthy foliage near the trunk, pruning apical tips or cutting back to strengthen interior foliage.

Japonicus

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1713889700081.jpeg

1713888968664.jpeg
Assuming the soil is more organic nursery soil…
Based on last picture here, the amount of work done will prolong getting it out
of the nursery soil. 2 years to be on the safe side.
I would not do any further cut backs till the year following it’s 1st transition to bonsai soil.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
From the last two pictures it's hard to see what the trunk is doing after the lowest branches.

I understand it's a 2D photo so looks can be deceiving, but one helpful design consideration that's helped me in the past is to consider the negative space between your branches when you're looking at the tree from your chosen front. Think about the negative space as a deliberate choice and part of your composition. Think about how the negative space(s) on the left side relate to those on the right. Try and avoid clumps of overlapping branches and then having a big gap above them. Even if the branches are not clumped together from the same side of the trunk, one branch can create this effect with a back branch from a given angle. You need to avoid that from your chosen front.

Another good question is, 'how do my own eyes travel over the composition'. With this tree, my eyes start at the base and then travel straight up and then over to the left as it follows the wired down top branch and then back down to the clump of branches on either side.

What are your future plans for the tree / design? You may already planning an apex or more branches, so my comments may be premature, but you didn't mention. The top just doesn't sit right for me. Maybe if more of the trunk line was exposed, but I still think it needs a little bit extra on the top and maybe something slightly out to the right to balance it out.

I think it's great you are sharing your work and designs. I am a person that likes to dive in and learn by doing and learn by my mistakes. I've seen some harsh feedback, but I think if you can take the constructive feedback and work that into existing and future designs then you will only benefit and you will develop. There are plenty of people on here who can give you some really good insights.
Much appreciated on the feedback. My plan is to grow primaries and secondaries on the way up the tree and eventually angle them downward and out front/back/left/right like a lampshade.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
W
Considerations at this point.

Branch length and thickness in relation to trunk thickness and the branches position on the trunk?

Thinning portions to retain healthy foliage near the trunk, pruning apical tips or cutting back to strengthen interior foliage.
Will do, my good sir ✅

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great start! My thoughts:

- I agree with other comments that I'd like to see more of the trunk. It is, however, pretty straight near the base and perfectly vertical. When you eventually repot, I'd change the angle. Do you think the trunk is possible to bend at all? May not be necessary, but could add some interest.
- I like that you removed some of the larger branches. That will definitely help with proportions. I like what Frank said regarding prioritizing interior growth on the remaining branches. Since you already removed a good deal of foliage, it would probably be a good idea to wait a bit on any further pruning.
- What's your design goal for the tree? Do you see it being roughly the same height it is now?

Top Bottom