How Difficult to Raft a Forest Twin-Trunk Dwarf Alberta Spruce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Considering an Upright or Raft Forest

IMG_3184.jpeg

I have small twin trunks already so considering changing things up

Would this be hard to accomplish? Would they root out of the bark windows without issue?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Considering an Upright or Raft Forest

View attachment 529526

I have small twin trunks already so considering changing things up

Would this be hard to accomplish? Would they root out of the bark windows without issue?
You can give it a try. I'd use bark windows. Give it a few years, though. Will probably take a while, if it works.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can give it a try. I'd use bark windows. Give it a few years, though. Will probably take a while, if it works.
I was hoping you would respond. You and one other have been a wealth of knowledge on this species. Thanks and appreciated. How deep do I cut the bark windows? Is it to the zylum/phloem? And is root hormone recommended?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was hoping you would respond. You and one other have been a wealth of knowledge on this species. Thanks and appreciated. How deep do I cut the bark windows? Is it to the zylum/phloem? And is root hormone recommended?
I've not done it. I've heard it is mostly impossible to air layer--which is basically what you're doing. I'd try a variety of cuts to see what works. I'd use rooting hormone (just not too much)

This might help--

Top Bottom