Juniper Health Issue - Interior Foliage Browning

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like bwaynef said, county extension to diagnose soil sample is great if this is happening a lot, and like guywires said, emergency repot some. Plants in stress give off signaling hormones from their roots that opportunistic bacteria/fungi can likely smell we don't even know what's going on with soil science anymore getting so complicated. The good news is we do know some pathogens and and we know effective treatment if identified.

I would do a soak, put the plants in the kiddie pool like mentioned, and instead of the recommended drench do 1/2 dose (because they are sitting in the water) A FEW kiddie pools if you have lots of plants. Don't mix the healthy with quarrantine plants.

Largest consideration how much money/time to spend 'fixing' and what plants get first treatments.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I actually did a subduemaxx root soak of this tree over the weekend - just in case there was a root fungus. This tree's soil isnt the best, so it's possible there are other issues going on in there. I'll consider a repot, but i don't think i have much time left regardless of what happens lol
I've read a specific sentence that subdue maxx doesn't cure it. That's why I mentioned the broad spectrum stuff.
One of the first hits in google for "juniper root rot" leads to a page where phytophthora is mentioned and which fungicides might work.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No possibility misting foliage could help🤔? Other thread(s) mention dry climate/nite fogs help American Junipers survive in very dry hot area and San Jose is that. Seems piling on fungicide endlessly can only harm plant in time. Maybe also suffocating foliage by now.

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had similar reactions when I've been too aggressive with repotting and root removal.

When did you repot them last and how much of the root ball did you remove? Did you bare root them?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've also had similar reactions, but to aggressive use of (non-bonsai specific) fertiliser (Westland - Growmore granules)

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
I've had similar reactions when I've been too aggressive with repotting and root removal.

When did you repot them last and how much of the root ball did you remove? Did you bare root them?
Didn't report anyone this season

I've also had similar reactions, but to aggressive use of (non-bonsai specific) fertiliser (Westland - Growmore granules)
Just using osmocote plus for fertilization

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The originator of our bonsai group says if the problem shows up at the bottom, it is something with the potting or roots.
If on the tips of foliage, it's outside influence.

eeeealmo

Mame
Reaction score
The originator of our bonsai group says if the problem shows up at the bottom, it is something with the potting or roots.
If on the tips of foliage, it's outside influence.
meaning the bottom of the shoot, like what i'm seeing?

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since you haven't repotted this year you should be able to pull out of containers and post photos of the roots - sides, bottoms, crown (worst sides) don't be shy!

Top Bottom