How to maintain the health of Western collected juniper

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Later this year or early in 2024 I will receive this wonderful western juniper that was collected for me in a tree swap. I have been told that keeping western juniper healthy will be difficult for where I live (US South) and where I am going to be (US East). I now would like to get advice on the best regimen to keep my tree healthy.
1699544755351.png

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Later this year or early in 2024 I will receive this wonderful western juniper that was collected for me in a tree swap. I have been told that keeping western juniper healthy will be difficult for where I live (US South) and where I am going to be (US East). I now would like to get advice on the best regimen to keep my tree healthy.
View attachment 516658
I’d reach out to @markyscott . He successfully kept CA collected junipers in Houston for several years before heading to VA and can probably give you some pointers. I’m going to guess that large, aggregate inorganic soil and timely anti fungal treatments are a must. Nice tree! Good luck with it.

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amazing specimen. Is the discoloration due to time of year?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Amazing specimen. Is the discoloration due to time of year?
I don't know. The collector has kept it for me from collection earlier in the year to assure survival. He said the tree is healthy now and I trust him.

Top Bottom