Juniper health

gusmyy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi guys

i bought a juniper but i don't know exactly the species. It looks like a shimpaku but i was told it is not. The tree has some foliage yellow and the rest does not have a bright green i would expect from a health tree. I have two question. First is can anyone identify the exact type of juniper? and second is it health?

I live in south brazil and we are in the end of the summer here.

20240316_133518.jpg20240316_133512.jpg20240316_133509.jpg

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boa tarde! Looks pretty much like a shimpaku to me, but could be another chinese juniper variant, quite hard to tell, looks similar to my itoigawa from here.

It does not look healthy though, junipers can yellow and drop foliage in certain seasons but this looks a bit different. Potential spidermites attack maybe? Does it drain OK?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is how my junipers look when a spider mite infestation starts up. Grab a white sheet of paper and put it under some of those yellowing branches. Shake the branches over the paper then rub your hand over the paper. If you see lots of tiny moving specks, or lots of red smears, you have spider mites.

gusmyy

Seedling
Reaction score
This is how my junipers look when a spider mite infestation starts up. Grab a white sheet of paper and put it under some of those yellowing branches. Shake the branches over the paper then rub your hand over the paper. If you see lots of tiny moving specks, or lots of red smears, you have spider mites.
Thanks very much! It does look like it has some spider mite infestation. I saw a few very tiny black dots moving. But it was not many. How do you treat this kind of infestation?

gusmyy

Seedling
Reaction score
Also, is it serious, like at the point of being in danger to lose the tree?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There is no way to positively identify this as a shimpaku or another juniper that exhibits the same type of foliage.

The yellow color is a concern. Could be something as simple as an iron deficiency or a bigger problem like spider mites or a root issue

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also, is it serious, like at the point of being in danger to lose the tree?
If kept unchecked it could be very harmful.
To help identify if it is spider mites, take a clean white sheet of paper and hold it under the branches. Tap or shake the branches over the paper and examine what falls on it. If you see tiny reddish brown specks crawling around that make a reddish brown streak when you run your fingers across the paper, it's probably spider mites.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For spider mites you could treat the tree with neem oil which will smother the mites. Make sure to keep the tree in the shade for a few days when you spray it.

Neem oil + sun and heat = not good for tree

Top Bottom