Joshua Tree Bonsai?

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I went camping in Joshua Tree NP over the NYE long weekend (BRRRRR! It snowed!) and as I looked around at these amazing trees, I kept wondering if they could be bonsai-ed! Thoughts? The little welcome center had little kits with seeds and pots and I picked one up in case it can be done. :)

One can "bonsai" just about anything with varying results.

Its my opinion that the Joshua Tree, Yucca, Pony Tail Palm, Sago palms and etc are more of a novelty tree than a bonsai. But I also am biased as I've seen people get really ripped off by purchasing a "100 year old bonsai!" that was really an eight year old Pony Tail in a cheap pot...

That being said the Joshua tree is a beautiful plant and will make an awesome garden tree or focal point.

One can "bonsai" just about anything with varying results.

Its my opinion that the Joshua Tree, Yucca, Pony Tail Palm, Sago palms and etc are more of a novelty tree than a bonsai. But I also am biased as I've seen people get really ripped off by purchasing a "100 year old bonsai!" that was really an eight year old Pony Tail in a cheap pot...

That being said the Joshua tree is a beautiful plant and will make an awesome garden tree or focal point.

Yes, thank you for clarifying that. That is what I meant -- "bonsai" as in grown in a container and kept smaller. Not much room for styling these types of tree.

I have absolutely no idea if Joshua tree can be kept smaller in a container. As you know, it's not a tree, but a yucca species, which means structurally it's made up of small fibers and has no growth rings. It's spines can't be pruned, or at least pruned to push growth on limbs like a true tree.

When I lived in Arizona, we had a "pet" 18-foot Joshua Tree in the front yard. We called it "cousin it." It was a relatively fast grower and seemed to have a deep root system, at least deeper and a lot more extensive than cactus.

I suspect if you containerize a small one and its roots don't have anywhere to run, it may become a bit smaller or at least slower growing. Of course, such confinement with its drainage problems could also kill it...

Give it a try.

I had a seedling of one for quit a while. They're very slow growers and maintain a "grass" look for the longest time. I gave up on it :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom