JBP variety or sickly plant?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have one JBP that is yellow. When I bought it I thought it just needed fertilizer. I've fertilized for 5 months, used iron and micronutrient supplements, basically everything I can think of, and still get yellow needles. Compare to the green JBP in the background. Is this some sort of variety of JBP? or just a sickly specimen?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hmmm... the site is really acting up today. I can't see any of your images.

But as far as yellow black pines go... have you used Miracid or an acid fertilizer?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Let's try again....

Attachments

• IMG_1086.JPG
    IMG_1086.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 55

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Better? From the oxymorons listed I'm guessing most people, like me, expect JBP to be green. Despite my best efforts I've not been able to green this one up. Iron supplements, Mg, general micronutrients, weekly fertilizing all to no avail.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey I can see the picture now! From what I can tell, the older bottom needles are still dark green. Just the newer growth is yellow the higher you go up the tree. Does there appear to be a graft? There's a variety of jpp called Shirome janome- this pic from Broken Arrow Nursey looks like the way yours is growing. Yellow on top with green older needles.

https://www.brokenarrownursery.com/..._-_boulder_farm_-_august_26_2015_426x640_.jpgpinus_thunbergii_shirome_janome_lvs_-_boulder_farm_-_august_26_2015_426x640_.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, that looks alot like what I see. OK, so it's a feature, not a problem. Guess that makes my little guy "special".

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh you mean like this? (from my back yard)

jbp-water.jpg

Not 100% sure what caused it. I believe it was related to very alkaline soil. Once I started using acid fertilizer it reverted back to dark green.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll try some muracid and see what happens.

Top Bottom