Japanese zelkova (Zelkova serrata)

bugnurd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m starting individual threads for each of my trees to track their growth, development, and work. Here is my Japanese zelkova (Zelkova serrata).

This was a commercial nursery tree that was planted in the ground in 2020 for an experimental nursery plot. It grew undisturbed for 3 years until the experiment ended. In April 2023 I dug it up, pruned a few roots, put it in a small nursery pot and filled it with NAPA oil dry for soil.

IMG_4084.jpeg
IMG_4089.jpeg

bugnurd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In April, 2024 I chopped the long trunk back to the first branch. I hope that wasn’t a mistake. Just waiting now to see if it leafs out this spring. Fingers crossed.
IMG_9042.jpeg

Jrmcmich

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I noticed My zelkova is much later to leaf out. Only one Im still waiting on

bugnurd

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I noticed My zelkova is much later to leaf out. Only one Im still waiting on
Pretty much nothing has leafed out yet here. I think you are actually in zone 6b, USDA recently updated the map and most places got bumped up.

Jrmcmich

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pretty much nothing has leafed out yet here. I think you are actually in zone 6b, USDA recently updated the map and most places got bumped up.
I think You are right. Can’t remember if my zone filled in automatically when I pit city or if I entered zone manually.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Zelkova is among the last to leaf out down here, often well aftermost other species are in full leaf. Most years I'm wondering if they are still alive and then the buds start.

Jrmcmich

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Zelkova is among the last to leaf out down here, often well aftermost other species are in full leaf. Most years I'm wondering if they are still alive and then the buds start.
That’s exactly what I thought of mine. I’m still hopeful it’s alive as it hasn’t leafed out but can see small buds when taking a pic and zooming in on it. Away for a week now so won’t know if it has leafed out until back home.

INDIGO-STEVE

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm in Kannapolis N.C (Z 7b) My Zelkovas, European Hornbeams and European Beech are always the last to start pushing. Every year same order.

Top Bottom