Japanese maple #5 progression

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It this the same one Sergio? 18.75" manzan that Matt is selling?

My guess is yes, because that looks like Matt's yellow/gold octagon koyo in the back of it (which looks much darker than it is).

big difference in the color depending on the lighting/focus!

Derek yes that is the pot. But looks much more cream/yellow in that photo than the ones he just sent me. I asked him and he says is a white pot but reads more greyish white because of the patina. It has a ton of age which is what I love about it. Who doesn't! But I am a bit weary of white.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Derek yes that is the pot. But looks much more cream/yellow in that photo than the ones he just sent me. I asked him and he says is a white pot but reads more greyish white because of the patina. It has a ton of age which is what I love about it. Who doesn't! But I am a bit weary of white.
I can see the hesitation, white and cream can have very different effects. Surprising how different this looks in the two sets of photos. Maybe with soil and moss, it won’t seem quite so white; so much less will be visible. Is the size perfect?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I can see the hesitation, white and cream can have very different effects. Surprising how different this looks in the two sets of photos. Maybe with soil and moss, it won’t seem quite so white; so much less will be visible. Is the size perfect?

Size is perfect or as close to it as I have found after months of searching. White worries me, but because it's so "dirty" I expect it to look quite muted. I also love the lip. That was another detail I wanted.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Size is perfect or as close to it as I have found after months of searching. White worries me, but because it's so "dirty" I expect it to look quite muted. I also love the lip. That was another detail I wanted.
Maybe it checks enough of the boxes to work...you can always sell it if the perfect one comes along. I traded the pot my hawthorn showed in Nationals when a better pot came along...and I’m still looking.???

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe it checks enough of the boxes to work...you can always sell it if the perfect one comes along. I traded the pot my hawthorn showed in Nationals when a better pot came along...and I’m still looking.???

Thanks Bri I figured as much. Pot was purchased and will do a slip potting when I get a chance. It takes a long time to find the right pot. Too many details that all need to coalesce together.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio, can you clarify what are the white blemishes used on your Japanese maple. I'm very curious for the reason of this technique.

The tree has lime sulphur applied. It is a common practice in Japan in order to even out the color throughout the tree. Otherwise you have older white-ish bark, newer green bark and more red towards the tips. Sometimes it can be too much and distracting when you look at a tree in its winter silhouette. Of course this depends on who you ask.

On very, very old maples, this is not needed since most of the tree has matured into the light gray bark that is typical in these trees.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looks so nice! Seeing your garden makes me want to tear down mine and rebuild it from scratch!?

Thanks Bri. I just painted the back fence in dark grey. I think it looks really nice and much better than the natural wood. I knew eventually I would want to paint it but had to let the wood dry completely.

BUT... you have to be kidding me! Tear yours down?? Your set up is gorgeous dude!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Bri. I just painted the back fence in dark grey. I think it looks really nice and much better than the natural wood. I knew eventually I would want to paint it but had to let the wood dry completely.

BUT... you have to be kidding me! Tear yours down?? Your set up is gorgeous dude!
I love the grey fence. My garden is good, but it’s time to rework it a little I think, for ease of accessibility and photography, but a thread for another day perhaps! Your maple is looking outstanding.

D

Deleted member 21616

@Brian Van Fleet that pool would make an awesome koi pond, with dissectums draped over it, i can already see it!

...and they love company in the water! :p

Reaction score
I've been looking at this tree for some time now. It is spectacular and on such a high level I can only dream of. However... I am still not digging that lower right branch. Yes, without this branch, it is one more 'ordinary' (extraordinary) tree. Yet, it feels out of place. It goes against the flow. Is this just me? Maybe it's just my noobiness?

Sergio: I hope you take my comment lightly. I am still learning here, but I would like to hear what your thoughts are about this branch and how you see it developing in the future. If you care to share, that is.

Keep up with your inspirational posts.

D

Deleted member 21616

I am still learning here, but I would like to hear what your thoughts are about this branch and how you see it developing in the future

i'm also very curious about the future of these! say, 50 years from now.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've been looking at this tree for some time now. It is spectacular and on such a high level I can only dream of. However... I am still not digging that lower right branch. Yes, without this branch, it is one more 'ordinary' (extraordinary) tree. Yet, it feels out of place. It goes against the flow. Is this just me? Maybe it's just my noobiness?

Sergio: I hope you take my comment lightly. I am still learning here, but I would like to hear what your thoughts are about this branch and how you see it developing in the future. If you care to share, that is.

i'm also very curious about the future of these! say, 50 years from now.
That's honestly one of my favorite things about this tree. I'll let Sergio answer for himself, but that lower branch is what I call a "conversation branch"... one that sets the tree apart from other similar trees and gets people talking about it.

D

Deleted member 21616

That's honestly one of my favorite things about this tree. I'll let Sergio answer for himself, but that lower branch is what I call a "conversation branch"... one that sets the tree apart from other similar trees and gets people talking about it.

one of my favorite parts about this tree and the arakawa as well!

Reaction score

Definitely. And it may never gather a consensus. But to me, it breaks the harmony or flow of the tree and makes me feel unease about it. It feels like it's not part of tree... a bush growing under the canopy... Maybe this felling will go away as the branch matures, hence my questioning about its future development.

D1raq

Sapling
Reaction score
I think I may have finally found a pot for maple #5. The current one is nice but looks a bit too new and not best quality (Chinese). This one is by Terahata Mazan and very old. Debating whether I like the white although is full of patina and crackled.

View attachment 238969
I think it will lend itself well contrasting the foliage

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Thanks Gustavo. The lower part has not been resolved yet since it was only about seven years ago that it was grafted. It needs to mature and eventually the main leader which is still thickening will be the visual anchor point for that area. I have provided in the sketch the main intended movement beats for this design.

Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 3.39.30 PM.png

Top Bottom