Itoigawa juniper Stock

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I think it looks much better without the jin.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ah. I kinda liked the Jin sticking up out of the canopy, then I went back and saw that it originated way down low, and pushes up through the whole tree to get there. So, yes, I agree with the decision to remove it. If it had just come from the apex, I'd have kept it.

What did you do with the lower part?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think it's just out of view as the camera shot is from a lower point.
Thumbless is correct; it's still there, just took a shot from low looking up. The Jin comes out at a pretty good angle from the back, going back and up, so it's just obscured by clouds, er, foliage.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Great to see the transformation over the 5 years, Lovely tree and great work Brian.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's what I am considering doing with the Drunk Dragon. I love the tree but the current pot just does not do the tree justice.
I saw you talking to the potter,going over some ideas.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Half the fun is looking for just the right pot! I'm leaning toward a bag-shape old Chinese.
Something like this pot; this one is too shallow, and I don't want the foot front & center; the tree needs more stability:
image.png
This one is close too, but the lip is slightly too heavy:
image.png
So I keep looking, it's fine by me!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Half the fun is looking for just the right pot! I'm leaning toward a bag-shape old Chinese.
Something like this pot; this one is too shallow, and I don't want the foot front & center; the tree needs more stability:
View attachment 113815
This one is close too, but the lip is slightly too heavy:
View attachment 113816
So I keep looking, it's fine by me!
It may wind up being something that you have looked at and over-looked several times. Sometimes something works only with just the right combinations.

Top Bottom