Is this a good deal?

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I know bonsai price is subjective for each person but what do you all think of this?

Then there is this one.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
For me they are expensive but if you are looking for instant bonsai and can afford then that is fine. At the end of the day, it is you to decide.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ignoring the price.

I'd say they look typical of a regional "bonsai club" tree.
Both are lop-sided, poorly balanced.
I would not buy these, personally.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
I am always surprised by how high Brussels prices are. But clearly someone's buying. 🤷‍♂️

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I kinda figured they were high priced but they are all I can find. All the websites I've been on either have little twigs or expensive specimen trees.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You need to contact Matt Smith or Mark Comstock on FB (Matt you can contact direct thru the ebay site 4017Smith) and see if there is a better tree either of them can show you for your budget. Mark is more prebonsai, but he has some well shaped and certainly good nebari maples in his stock. Matt has so much stock, I'm sure he can show you things in your range, and usually better pricing than on the ebay site.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I personally wouldn't spend so much on a J. maple until you have a @JudyB level winter setup.

When You are ALWAYS PURCHASING NEBARI....

NEBARI SHOULD ALWAYS BE PICTURED.

or...pics or no pics...exact tree or not...

You don't know what you're getting...

Let suckers buy those!

Sorce

jkg777

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I second the suggestion to contact Matt Smith. I bought some pre-bonsai elm and shimpaku off of him at the Knoxville Bonsai show earlier this year and it is first rate pre-bonsai material. The price was very reasonable for the quality of the trees.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
Thanks everyone, I'll contact matt

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
FYI that first tree posted is of Matt Smith (3017smith on Ebay)

If that price gets you that tree, I can only imagine what a lower priced tree gets you. Sharpes Pigmy is not your regular J. Maple though... If that's what you're looking for.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am always surprised by how high Brussels prices are. But clearly someone's buying. 🤷‍♂️
I bought a very nice Sharp's pygmy from Brussel's for $92 in December. I would not spend $600 on the one linked.

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I bought a very nice Sharp's pygmy from Brussel's for $92 in December. I would not spend $600 on the one linked.

I checked brussles, all their sharps are over 800 and not very interesting.

The one big thing holding me back from the first sharps is the size. I really didn't want something that big. I know the canopy isn't shaped well but that can be corrected and I do really like that upright style.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
3 suggestions,

Take your time, I found if I am in a hurry, then I end up paying more than I need to. Give yourself all summer to find just the right tree, even longer if the "right one" does not turn up. After you search a while, you will become more clear on what appeals to you and what does not, and you will be able to recognize the "good deal" when you see it, so you can buy without hesitation.

Contact the Ebay sellers. With known reputable sellers like Matt Smith and some others, you can safely arrange a sale separate from eBay, and the seller will not have to charge you the 15% or what ever level they are paying as a commission to eBay.

Be open to other varieties. If only a 'Sharp's Pygmy' will do, availability may dictate you need to pay top dollar. If you are open to a wider array of cultivars, and or other species, something really nice may come your way.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I know bonsai price is subjective for each person but what do you all think of this?

Then there is this one.
Personally I think both are way overpriced. Not much of a nebari on either and neither really appeals esthetically to me anyways

GailC

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4-5
I would be perfectly happy with a standard green Japanese maple.
I've messaged matt and brussles, waiting to hear back.

Top Bottom