Introducing Myself

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hello everyone. I am a first year bonsai enthusiast and have already fallen in love with the art. I currently live in Beaufort, SC but am due to leave next year. Unfortunately, I have to move every 3 years so it can be a pain trying to grow my trees in the ground.

I have long wanted to try bonsai, but had a very full schedule. I finally decided to get one tree, which turned into another, and another, and so the familiar story goes. I currently have a few trees but nothing spectacular. I have only one small boxwood that I purchased from a bonsai nursery. The rest of my collection has been landscaping nurseries and I am many years from anything presentable. Nontheless, I really enjoy the time spent with my trees and look forward to what I can learn and do in the years to come!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the forum. Other than the boxwood, what kind of (nursery) trees are you working on? And people always like photos, regardless of how advanced (or not) the material is.

Enjoy the journey!

Chris

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi and Welcome,
Sounds like quite a challenge having to move and get used to a new climate every 3 years! But your collection could be quite varied because of that as well.

nice avatar...

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hai2U
Welcome to Bnut and the addiction

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Welcome to the forum. Other than the boxwood, what kind of (nursery) trees are you working on? And people always like photos, regardless of how advanced (or not) the material is.

Enjoy the journey!

Chris

I most definitely will post some when I can get to them. I am at work (shhh) and don't have access to my pictures right now.

Hi and Welcome,
Sounds like quite a challenge having to move and get used to a new climate every 3 years! But your collection could be quite varied because of that as well.

nice avatar...

Yeah it is kind of a blessing and a curse. I will be able to find a wide variety of stuff to collect from the wild depending on where I go. Here is SC there is an Eastern Cedar that I haven't seen anywhere else so I plan on collecting one of them before I leave.

And yeah, it was a tug of war between Homey and Fire Marshall Bill

Hey there handsome

Hello to you my precious!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And yeah, it was a tug of war between Homey and Fire Marshall Bill
The early seasons of "In Living Color" contained some of the funniest skits I've ever seen on TV. Homey, Fire Marshall Bill, Wanda, Mr and Mrs Brooks...good stuff!

Chris

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Welcome

I agree with others that the constant climate changes must be a little challenging, but at any rate welcome (from another pretty new person).

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey sikadelic ! I actually move twice each year, I take my plants with me north and south so it can be done. I have had some issues with plants such as Birds nest spruce, Mugho Pine and maples as the lack of a winter cool period and the Florida sun in the winter just kills them. I have found that trees like most elm varieties, most Juniper Varieties, all Ficus varieties and for that matter all tropical varieties take the move without a hitch and don't miss the winter weather.

Nice to see you, there are some really talented artists here who are more than willing to share their knowledge with you. Have fun and kill some trees ! :p

ed

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome. I think I will like this forum a little more than the other one I am active on. I like to read a lot of information and I can see there is a ton of activity here.

The early seasons of "In Living Color" contained some of the funniest skits I've ever seen on TV. Homey, Fire Marshall Bill, Wanda, Mr and Mrs Brooks...good stuff!

Chris

Hey guys, this man knows his stuff!

welcome...another noob here from Conway Sc!

Hope the lowcountry has been kind to you! The intense heat mixed with my inexperience cost me several young seedlings and cuttings this year. I hope to have a better run next spring with the Red Maples here. I would like to make my first forest planting from them.

Hey sikadelic ! I actually move twice each year, I take my plants with me north and south so it can be done. I have had some issues with plants such as Birds nest spruce, Mugho Pine and maples as the lack of a winter cool period and the Florida sun in the winter just kills them. I have found that trees like most elm varieties, most Juniper Varieties, all Ficus varieties and for that matter all tropical varieties take the move without a hitch and don't miss the winter weather.

Nice to see you, there are some really talented artists here who are more than willing to share their knowledge with you. Have fun and kill some trees ! :p

ed

Well at least I know it can be done! I am trying to avoid going any further South as I am quite fond of deciduous trees, especially Maples. And I started learning bonsai to kill trees and chew bubble gum....I'm almost out of bubble gum.

Top Bottom