Introducing myself and my bonsai pottery

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi everyone! My name is Ashley Keller and I'm a new member here in Bonsai Nut. I am a bonsai potter in Canada who has recently started an online business and would love your feedback on some of my work.

ashley-keller-bonsai-pot-4.jpg

ashley-keller-bonsai-pottery-75-min.jpg

ashley-keller-bonsai-pot-33.jpg

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
AaaaaAAaaaaaaaH!!!!! Website please! I will share with Toronto Bonsai Society! Yaaaay! I like what you're doing!

Seriously, very nice pots.

Oh thank you so much! Every share helps so much.

My website is www.ashleykeller.work

My last batch has almost all been purchased but I have a newsletter signup there as well for anyone that is interested in knowing about the next set that should be ready soon. I am currently specializing in shohin sized bonsai containers but working up to larger pieces.

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh thank you so much! Every share helps so much.

My website is www.ashleykeller.work

My last batch has almost all been purchased but I have a newsletter signup there as well for anyone that is interested in knowing about the next set that should be ready soon. I am currently specializing in shohin sized bonsai containers but working up to larger pieces.
Thank You! I may place an order.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

I don't know if you are familiar with bonsaipots.net, but it is an excellent bonsai pot resource with a ton of great info on design.

Here are my comments on your pots:

#1: I like the glaze. Hard to tell the scale of the pot, but the feet look a little too tall. Additionally, they are very ornate feet for a clean / formal pot design.
#2: Drum pots will always have flat feet, never cloud feet. You have your banding reversed - if you have banding on a drum pot the rivets will always be on the thicker band - it is supposed to look like the rivets holding the drum head on. Make sure your rivet spacing is as regular as possible. I don't really like the wash on this one - it looks like you are trying to create an artificial patina. Look, for example, at this antique drum pot and see how "natural" the patina looks:

pots-7.jpg
#3: I like the profile of this pot and the glaze. The feet are too tall and the bright orange clay clashes with the color of the blue glaze. I think this pot would look really nice if the feet were half as tall and you had glazed them.

A great start!! Certainly much better than anything I could ever make :)

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

I don't know if you are familiar with bonsaipots.net, but it is an excellent bonsai pot resource with a ton of great info on design.

Here are my comments on your pots:

#1: I like the glaze. Hard to tell the scale of the pot, but the feet look a little too tall. Additionally, they are very ornate feet for a clean / formal pot design.
#2: Drum pots will always have flat feet, never cloud feet. You have your banding reversed - if you have banding on a drum pot the rivets will always be on the thicker band - it is supposed to look like the rivets holding the drum head on. Make sure your rivet spacing is as regular as possible. I don't really like the wash on this one - it looks like you are trying to create an artificial patina. Look, for example, at this antique drum pot and see how "natural" the patina looks:

View attachment 150383
#3: I like the profile of this pot and the glaze. The feet are too tall and the bright orange clay clashes with the color of the blue glaze. I think this pot would look really nice if the feet were half as tall and you had glazed them.

A great start!! Certainly much better than anything I could ever make :)

I really appreciate your reply and the link to that resource. I have been using a variety of inspiration with my pots, some of which is the work of contemporary potters who may not be aware of the traditional aesthetics of bonsai pottery.

Your response is exactly why I was so glad to find this forum because I wanted to know if these pots were hitting the mark with actual bonsai artists and enthusiasts.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Proportion over everything and you will succeed!
Half the feet height...and I'm in!

Glad you ship here!

The accent pots are sweet!

Website is well organized.

Nice!

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Welcome. I agree with everything @Bonsai Nut said. Your glazes and clay bodies are very nice, but the first thing that caught my eye were the very tall feet. Take a look at lots of bonsai pots and you'll start to see some consistencies in proportions. Your blue one would look like a dead ringer to a Yozan without the feet. The orange clay over the blue glaze is immediately identifiable as his. Yours is very nice.
IMG_1251.jpg
And the green has a great Shuho feel.
IMG_1253.JPG
Both are very good potters.

Often, potters who enter the bonsai pots world tend to make a few common mistakes:
1. They fail to understand the understated role a pot must play in the overall composition. Their pots tend to want to steal the show. I do not see that problem with your pots.
2. They tend to use too much clay, and the pots seem heavy and clunky. I also do not see that here. But be sure to handle a few high-quality bonsai pots to get a sense for the density.
3. They don't understand drainage and tie-down, and either go too much or too little. I can't see what's going on under these pots, but definitely work to get that right. Notice in this example how the tie-down holes are concealed behind the feet? This means thei tie-down wires won't be visible to the viewer if this pot is elevated. The fact that they're out to the corners offers the user plenty of options to secure the tree, and it never hurts to have a little extra drainage out in the corners.
IMG_1252.JPG
Best of luck to you.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice work you have going on there. Welcome to the forum as well.
I would agree with what has already been said, but would offer what I see as well. The second one for some reason almost appears to be plastic or mica, the glaze just makes it appear that way, I couldn't tell you why. The green one is very nice, really like the glaze. I like the last one, but the orange feet are a bit too harsh for me. Would work as an accent pot, but not with a tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice work Ashley! Proportion is the name of the game in bonsai containers. After that, it's your playpen. There will never be a shortage of rules, parameters and opinions in bonsai (or any art form, for that matter), so take what serves you from critics and other artists and leave the rest behind, make pots that make you happy!

I can say, first hand, that growing trees and re-potting them into my own containers has been arguably my best teacher for making pots (and I feel lucky to have had some pretty good ones!). Drainage, tie-down holes, form and glaze have all been better informed by using my own pots for my trees.

Keep up the good work!

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
Nice work Ashley! Proportion is the name of the game in bonsai containers. After that, it's your playpen. There will never be a shortage of rules, parameters and opinions in bonsai (or any art form, for that matter), so take what serves you from critics and other artists and leave the rest behind, make pots that make you happy!

I can say, first hand, that growing trees and re-potting them into my own containers has been arguably my best teacher for making pots (and I feel lucky to have had some pretty good ones!). Drainage, tie-down holes, form and glaze have all been better informed by using my own pots for my trees.

Keep up the good work!

I absolutely agree and thank you for your comments. I started out in the bonsai hobby about 11 years ago because of my love for gardening and plants. From the very beginning I have been obsessed with the pottery aspect of the hobby. I currently have a shohin sized pomegranate, kingsville and Chinese Elm.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I love the drum pot and the glaze on the green and the blue one.

I dont like the orange contrast on the blue one and would recommend you do something with less contrast to the main glaze (blue)
I also agree on the too tall feet

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
Better! A lot of people would buy this pot :)

View attachment 150408
Welcome. I agree with everything @Bonsai Nut said. Your glazes and clay bodies are very nice, but the first thing that caught my eye were the very tall feet. Take a look at lots of bonsai pots and you'll start to see some consistencies in proportions. Your blue one would look like a dead ringer to a Yozan without the feet. The orange clay over the blue glaze is immediately identifiable as his. Yours is very nice.
View attachment 150402
And the green has a great Shuho feel.
View attachment 150404
Both are very good potters.

Often, potters who enter the bonsai pots world tend to make a few common mistakes:
1. They fail to understand the understated role a pot must play in the overall composition. Their pots tend to want to steal the show. I do not see that problem with your pots.
2. They tend to use too much clay, and the pots seem heavy and clunky. I also do not see that here. But be sure to handle a few high-quality bonsai pots to get a sense for the density.
3. They don't understand drainage and tie-down, and either go too much or too little. I can't see what's going on under these pots, but definitely work to get that right. Notice in this example how the tie-down holes are concealed behind the feet? This means thei tie-down wires won't be visible to the viewer if this pot is elevated. The fact that they're out to the corners offers the user plenty of options to secure the tree, and it never hurts to have a little extra drainage out in the corners.
View attachment 150403
Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate the notes on common mistakes. I have actually been obsessed with studying the bottoms of pots and have been working to pay particular attention to this. One of my favourite potters is Peter Krebs and, in my opinion, does incredibly thoughtful and detailed work.

Ashley Keller

Sapling
Reaction score
The comments on cloud feet and proportions are very interesting. I don't disagree but thought I would share a few examples from other potters that I was drawing inspiration from. I look forward to trying some different styles based on everyone's feedback and sharing them with you soon.

Thomas Gramming
DSC_0112.JPG

Peter Krebs
068a.jpg

Greg Ceramics
ce5f0c4443ee2ea7b9144e3b0fd27803--ceramic-art-bonsai.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These examples have a quirk which allows for taller more decorative feet.
They seem more narrow as well, also allowing for taller feet.

I love these glazes..

Especially the Orange clay showing.

The drum is probly perfect.

I think if you want to do decorative feet, follow that narrow feeling...

But don't go to far into the quirk.

Cuz the simplicity of these glazed ones is ABSOLUTELY

Top Bottom