International Bonsai Imports into the US

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
To add a bit more information on the exportation of bonsai from Japan, take a look at this article.
My JWP came to me that way......

The article talks about export from Japan to the EU, and specifically the lifting of a ban from an area in Japan.
Pretty sure each country is probably different and the U.S. still has pretty strict regulations, there has not been a lifting of any regulations.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The article talks about export from Japan to the EU, and specifically the lifting of a ban from an area in Japan.
Pretty sure each country is probably different and the U.S. still has pretty strict regulations, there has not been a lifting of any regulations.
Funny but if you look deeper, under EU rules, white pine bonsai are subject to a two-year pause (a defacto quarantine) and six annual inspections of approved growing fields before being shipped to the EU. Full scale export of white pine was expected to begin in 2023

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some articles worth reading for the confused:

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
That site talks about 3 year quarantine period, inside Japan, not 2 years. And it doesn't mention a phytosanitary certificate at all.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That site talks about 3 year quarantine period, not 2 years. And it doesn't mention a phytosanitary certificate at all.
yes He talks about a three year quarantine. The U.S requires two. Other countries may require more. And yes, phyto certs are necessary. Every country has different requirements.

And yeah, he does mention phytosanitary certs, just not by name:

"The fall of 2019 will bring a new set of challenges for us here at Tree House Bonsai as at that time our first batch of trees, the ones that started the journey tucked away in a shady corner of my in-laws yard, will be certified for export, and I am very excited to be able to ship these out to waiting clients in Europe and back in the states."

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Ok, then we are almost there. Meaning that trees do not require a quarantine in the US (except for maples and some pines from S Korea). And that the trees you can import require a phytosanitary certificate. Which for bonsai usually means they are required to be inside an enclosed inspected greenhouse for at least 2 years. Which could be called a quarantine.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok, then we are almost there. Meaning that trees do not require a quarantine in the US (except for maples and some pines from S Korea). And that the trees you can import require a phytosanitary certificate. Which for bonsai usually means they are required to be inside an enclosed inspected greenhouse for at least 2 years. Which could be called a quarantine.
Bonsai imported into the U.S. from Asia and Europe have to undergo a two-year period of isolation in a facility that meets USDA/APHIS requirements. (Isolation is basically what a quarantine is). I think where you're getting hung up is that trees can undergo a quarantine period either IN JAPAN (or other country of origin) or in the U.S. either works as long as the two-year isolation period is met in a facility that meets the requirements.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Not really. I think you should go back and read your own post in this thread. The thing I got hung up on is you spreading misinfo on the actual process of importing trees from Japan into the west.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not really. I think you should go back and read your own post in this thread. The thing I got hung up on is you spreading misinfo on the actual process of importing trees from Japan into the west.

Tell me where I went wrong then...what's "misinfo" and how many U.S. importers have you actually spoken to?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Come on, man. I know from the years how stubborn you can be. And that you may not like me. But you explicitly said that it requires both a phytosanitary certificate AND a 2 year quarantine. Which is now the thing you told me I am hung up over not understanding that they are the same thing.

I was just trying to understand how some people here, who claim to have talked to US importers (you, SouthernMaple, Kievnstavick, Orion_metalhead), say completely different things from people who actually imported plants from Japan into the US (CanadaBonsai, Bob Hunter). Now, this OP guy cannot get his Italian olive into Cali. But it seems like you can absolutely buy bonsai from Japan, import them into the US quickly. And that it is relatively simple. You just need to work with USDA and buy from a Japanese grower set up for export to the US. Which just contradicts your 'is a complicated, time consuming process'-line.

I get that you got this info from someone you trust. And maybe it was true for what they were trying to do. But when speaking in general terms, it is misinfo.

Kievnstavick

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The reason why some of us have said the things that are different is simply due to the fact that we were talking about the specific situation OP found themselves in.

If you expand the process of how the other people were able to (relatively speaking) easily import plants, then we would be pretty much saying the same things.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Come on, man. I know from the years how stubborn you can be. And that you may not like me. But you explicitly said that it requires both a phytosanitary certificate AND a 2 year quarantine. Which is now the thing you told me I am hung up over not understanding that they are the same thing.

I was just trying to understand how some people here, who claim to have talked to US importers (you, SouthernMaple, Kievnstavick, Orion_metalhead), say completely different things from people who actually imported plants from Japan into the US (CanadaBonsai, Bob Hunter). Now, this OP guy cannot get his Italian olive into Cali. But it seems like you can absolutely buy bonsai from Japan, import them into the US quickly. And that it is relatively simple. You just need to work with USDA and buy from a Japanese grower set up for export to the US. Which just contradicts your 'is a complicated, time consuming process'-line.

I get that you got this info from someone you trust. And maybe it was true for what they were trying to do. But when speaking in general terms, it is misinfo.
Glad you solved that problem for us! Now we can expect a flood of easily available imported bonsai from Japan...right?

Oh, yeah, no, we can't because the process is complicated, time consuming and not easy for those unfamiliar with it as you continue to demonstrate with your crossed-up clueless posts. You can surely find someone who imports easily, but they're either sold out of stuff, or have relatively steep pricing (might be because of the investment they have plowed into their import stock, but that could be my imagination, who knows).

Importers are relatively easy to find if you have the time to chase them down. There used to be an importer of nice bonsai up in Annapolis, MD near me, but he was apparently kind of shady and went dark a decade ago. Of course you can work through one of the growing contacts in Japan, like Bjorn, Adam Jones at Treehouse Bonsai, or Seiji Morimae at S-cube bonsai. Reputable folks in the US also help import. I've already listed a few of those for azalea, Dave Kruetz and Rick Garcia . I believe Bill Valavanis has also helped people import trees . Sure you can get a imported tree fast, but hope you like azaleas, cause that's what it will be. If you want an Ezo spruce, black pine, Japanese maple or other species you will have to wait. No "fast lane" for much of that at the moment.

I say all this because this has always been the case. Even though I've been called (depending on the backhand verbiage used--a liar at worst, a "misleader" at best), the fact remains, for the normal beginner, intermediate or even expert bonsaiist in the U.S., importing is not an easy process. To get a particular tree selected outside of the pre-approved and marketed trees already through the certification process, takes time and patience. The OP ran into this problem in trying to get a tree from Europe, which started this discussion.

You can't just choose a tree at random at a Japanese nursery and expect it to be here within a year, or even two. Ask anyone who has imported an actual pine or ume into the US. I've outlined repeatedly how the process works in the U.S. There are always exceptions, but two-year quarantine, phyto certificates and bare rooting upon entry into the U.S. is, by far, the most common path for imported trees from Asia (Japan, China, Korea and Southeast Asia). I've spoken with numerous importers, bought imported trees from them, seen-- first hand--what some vendors have lost after that importation process. I'm not talking about what I've read and misinterpreted, but about first-hand experience with the process and its requirements and impact.

FWIW, In his post above Glaucus makes some significant wrong assumptions and winds up comparing apples to oranges or apples to space aliens. For instance,
Constitutionally, federal USDA rules supersede state rules. In other words, Federal rules have to be met first, but states, like Cal. and Fla. have their own additional rules to protect their significant agriculture infrastructure. It's unclear if Canadabonsai is in Canada, but FWIW, the U.S. and Canada have different importing rules (as that count is a US trading partner, as is Mexico) for some plants. Glaucus also appears to remain confused about quarantine and phyto certs. I have never said they are the same. What I have said is that importers can quarantine plants in the country they're sending the plants FROM ---OR a facility in the DESTINATION country. Either will work, as long as the facilities the trees are stored in meets USDA/APHIS requirements. This is all inside baseball though. It's not an easy set of rules to navigate, evidence the last three pages...

Bottom line, importing a tree from Japan for the average bonsaiist is costly and challenges the health of the plant. There are paths opening up that may change that, but I don't see a rush to open up more. The demand isn't yet high enough to support a wider market.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Get over yourself already! You were wrong. Now own it.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't know how I'm "wrong." I own what I've said, over and over and over and over an over again. :rolleyes: 😵‍💫

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Come on, you can yank my chain, refer to me in third person, or or name drop all you want. You know what you did. What was the point? Honestly?

I won't even go into the EU & white pine thing you said. Please, next time let those people you name dropped talk instead of you. I'd be annoyed if you included me in this way.
Just don't talk about something you know nothing about, then attack others on the exact topic, and and then hide behind other people's names.

So for satsuki, there are definitely two or three nurseries in Japan that can export to the US right away. You just have to do a few things with USDA and they can just ship to the US right away and you can pick it up at the USDA port of entry.
The bare rooting during winter dormancy is not an issue for them at all. And while it may be pricey, it is nothing like what you describe.

If others that know more about pines, elms, maples can chime in, fine. But that's not you.

Last edited:

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh yeah i forgot to mention, you also have to get invited to the importers nursery. You can't just fly to japan and walk into his nursery. My buddy that did this this past year was getting azaleas from one of the OG importers over there, i think it was Kobiyashi or something like that.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

My buddy that did it said in no way that the whole process was easy or inexpensive. If you plan to do this get a group of friends together and all go in on stuff, because these importers won't invite you if you are just doing one tree. They want to make money.

I called the USDA and asked them if I could do this where I am from and they said they have never heard of such a request and have forwarded my request for info to the Raleigh office. It has been a week and I have still not heard back ..this might also be the reason my friend had to go to St Louis with a uhaul.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
See, this is the thing I suspect. If you have the wrong match between Japanese exporter and USDA contact, it seems it goes badly. But if you have the ideal Japanese exporter and the ideal USDA agent, it can go very smoothly, it seems. And it may just be something that depends on states. And yes it may be that there are some Japanese sellers that have better deals for people from the west they know and that trained in Japan. And that this gives them a potential edge for competitive prices.
And besides the grower themselves, you likely also need someone at/near Narita to get your plants on a plane or ship container.

This could explain why export of satsuki to the US is much much slower than to Europe. So these irregularities I am noticing are definitely there and could theoretically be fixed and smoothened out. Because it does seem that the rules aren't fundamentally different form the EU ones, except for the bare rooting. Which would require some more manual labor. You'd import them in winter anyway. So the reason it is done less often in the US vs Europe is not because it is not allowed or that it requires a 2 year quarantine.

I guess for pines, the bare rooting is much more of an issue.

Top Bottom