International Bonsai Imports into the US

kollman

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I just won a bonsai auction on Catawiki, a European marketplace, and failed to look into US import laws and regulations beforehand. The seller is wondering if I've done it before and if I have the necessary paperwork and permissions for the tree to be safely (and legally) sent to me from Italy to Los Angeles. It's an old olive tree around 18" tall including the pot.

Does anybody have experience with international shipping/imports of bonsai that could provide any insights? Thanks!

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do yourself a favor... don't send the seller any money and find an olive locally in CA.

From the little i know, there are super strict laws/regulations in place that pretty much make importing impossible. I believe there are licenses needed, tree quarantining requirements etc...

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don’t know the specifics, but I believe importing bonsai trees into the US has numerous logistical challenges. For example, I’m pretty sure the tree has to be quarantined for a period of time.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can weigh in and help. To be totally candid, I think it would have to be a really awesome tree to make it worth the hassle and expense.

Good luck!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mine came from California. You are opening a can of worms. A private individual can't ship a tree into the USA. It's also expensive...and the few who do. [Nurseries] won't work with private individuals and take a risk of bringing something in. They have their own sources.

Mine came from California...truly...look to the easier path traveled.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's not just you that needs to have the paperwork, it's the seller too that needs an official quarantine and a phytosanitary check before it's even allowed to be shipped.
Phytosanitary checks and passports can only be done by official parties but I know the south of the EU is so "particularly managed" that anyone with a bit of money can arrange the paperwork. That's a risk, because of the US officials find something, it will be burned and everyone involved will get fined.

Official quarantines in Europe are short, I think 4-12 weeks. In the US it can be 8 months or longer in some cases. So don't do it with a party that you wouldn't trust caring for your plant.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's not just you that needs to have the paperwork, it's the seller too that needs an official quarantine and a phytosanitary check before it's even allowed to be shipped.
Phytosanitary checks and passports can only be done by official parties but I know the south of the EU is so "particularly managed" that anyone with a bit of money can arrange the paperwork. That's a risk, because of the US officials find something, it will be burned and everyone involved will get fined.

Official quarantines in Europe are short, I think 4-12 weeks. In the US it can be 8 months or longer in some cases. So don't do it with a party that you wouldn't trust caring for your plant.
I heard one mentioned years back...from the USA...got caught and they destroyed his entire collection. As the tree had made it to him. Now is this true? Gossip and what not. But clearly...not worth the headache when you can source them so readily here.

kollman

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I don’t know the specifics, but I believe importing bonsai trees into the US has numerous logistical challenges. For example, I’m pretty sure the tree has to be quarantined for a period of time.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can weigh in and help. To be totally candid, I think it would have to be a really awesome tree to make it worth the hassle and expense.

Good luck!
Here is the tree- I ended up paying almost more for the shipping than the tree itself. (Payment was automatic when the bid was won)
It's a legit site that I'll be able to get my money back if we can't figure it out, but I was seeing bids come in from Spain, the UK, and Germany so I didn't think twice about shipping concerns unfortunately
1701459118575.jpg

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I heard one mentioned years back...from the USA...got caught and they destroyed his entire collection. As the tree had made it to him. Now is this true? Gossip and what not. But clearly...not worth the headache when you can source them so readily here.
Not sure how they would find out about it at a later date. Sounds a bit urban legend-y.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the tree- I ended up paying almost more for the shipping than the tree itself. (Payment was automatic when the bid was won)
It's a legit site that I'll be able to get my money back if we can't figure it out, but I was seeing bids come in from Spain, the UK, and Germany so I didn't think twice about shipping concerns unfortunately
View attachment 519422
My advice would be to get your money back and contact Sam Adina in Modesto, California if still interested in an Olive. Regardless of what you paid for the tree the paperwork and uncertainty involved is a clear deciding factor from my experience. Plus I have total confidence in the referral, including a range and quality of material.
A simple google search will verify Sam's reputation and his training! My very first intensive with Boon, Sam took some time to assist me and help me feel comfortable with the task in front of us. Quieter approach but very accomplished and respected. I am certain many of the fellow Bonsai Nuts who studied with Boon at the same time as Sam will have had similar experiences and fond memories.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Not sure how they would find out about it at a later date. Sounds a bit urban legend-y.
Right...it was so long ago. Memory serves...something showed it wasn't his first incoming tree. So they let it get into his hands..this was something that happened years back. I imaging I'm missing a detail. But it wasn't his first illegal shipment... they caught him with more than one tree that was not legally shipped.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would like to point out...when it comes to protecting our horticultural growers. They take great lengths/measures.

There was a nursery down in Florida who didn't have the proper documentation for kumquat a few years back. And they destroyed their trees. That is factual.

I do believe the one who was bringing trees in illegally he caused a blimp and they seen his name appear in recent transactions. My take...and they do burn material. Shoot they burnt the material in Florida that wasn't even shipped illegally. Our horticultural aspects need protection. There are reasons why strict laws are in place.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right...it was so long ago. Memory serves...something showed it wasn't his first incoming tree. So they let it get into his hands..this was something that happened years back. I imaging I'm missing a detail. But it wasn't his first illegal shipment... they caught him with more than one tree that was not legally shipped.
I heard this story at a show - pretty sure it was Chase Rosade (one of the pioneers of US bonsai). I can't remember if it was him or a dealer he knew, but once he had blown quarantine with these trees he'd had shipped in directly, yeah - they destroyed everything else he had. Chase was telling this story, was a guest judge that year -amazing guy.

B

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I heard this story at a show - pretty sure it was Chase Rosade (one of the pioneers of US bonsai). I can't remember if it was him or a dealer he knew, but once he had blown quarantine with these trees he'd had shipped in directly, yeah - they destroyed everything else he had. Chase was telling this story, was a guest judge that year -amazing guy.

B
I appreciate the rest of the story. Kind of like Paul Harvey...😉 yes...that sounds familiar. I knew I was forgetting the details. Thanks for adding additional information.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If the seller doesn't have a phytosanitary certificate for the plant, you will not be able to import it. Plus the paper work on your end.

Even so it has to come in bare rooted and requires a 2 year quarantine at a certified facility. Your back yard won't qualify.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If the seller doesn't have a phytosanitary certificate for the plant, you will not be able to import it. Plus the paper work on your end.

Even so it has to come in bare rooted and requires a 2 year quarantine at a certified facility. Your back yard won't qualify.
Right...and those nurseries aren't dealing with individuals not on their source list. It's to risky for their own business. My friend tried to get one sent to a nursery that imports. They wouldn't do it. Don't blame them.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 519422
Shipping on the continent, especially within EU member states, is fairly easy because there are few if any pathogens or pests that haven't spread across the entirety of it, so little worry of introducing anything invasive. EU to UK is only slightly more difficult. Even between Europe and Asia, or pretty much anything along the Mediterranean, isn't that challenging outside of a given nation's bureaucracy.

Anything going between the Americas and the rest of the world, though, has a whole stack of hoops to jump through. All sorts of things that neither hemisphere wants shared, so allot more complicated.

Top Bottom