Indoor Beginner

Fuzzy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I recently received a bonsai starter kit with 4 variety of seeds (royal poinciana, rocky mountain pine, norway spruce, blue jacaranda). A little research and find that they are primarily outdoor trees - can be grown indoors but not the easiest trees for beginners. I'm adding ficus and red maple seeds to my indoor "garden." I'm soaking seeds and will plant tonight. I live in Zone 8a but since I'm staying indoors, how much does the Zone matter? I have a indoor grow light, a home-made capillary watering system I found online, and a fan to move the air around the space. I recognize that since I'm starting with seeds, I'm a long way from bonsai but I am patient and ready to learn. I've started reading all the threads on here - a lot to take in. Any advice?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

Within the last 20 years or so, with the advent of high-intensity LED's, the idea of keeping trees indoors has become much more realistic. However, you need to be concerned with more than just lighting. I'm not certain if you will be successful with the two pines on your list if they don't have a cold period every year. Even the jacaranda is a deciduous that will drop leaves every fall, and may not bloom if you don't adjust photo periods to trigger seasonal growth patterns. Only the royal poinciana is a true tropical tree that might do well with consistent lighting and temp every day of the year (though I don't have experience with the species so I don't really know). So I would research indoor growing setups on the site, and see how people are successful, and what they are successful with.

Also, you might simply enjoy buying an older tree to play around with while you are waiting for your seedlings to grow up. A small Chinese elm (for example) might be enjoyable to watch, and they are pretty forgiving and do well in indoor setups.

Last edited:

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi welcome to Bnut. Hate to burst your bubble but none of those trees will survive indoors for very long if at all. Sellers say things like "can be grown indoors" to sell their products but in reality they have no chance of thriving.

You could start the seeds indoors but bonsai need to be outdoors.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll echo what others have said about growing tree's indoors: generally a bad idea. There are tropical species that will do alright if you can find them, but they can still be challenging.

What's your experience with growing anything at all?
House plants?
Gardening? Flowers or vegetables?
Landscape planting?

I ask because, "build on your strengths."

One place to start that might help you get your feet wet if you're relatively inexperienced is bonchi. Growing chili pepper bushes in bonsai style. The common species in the States is capsicum annuum and includes almost every variety of pepper you're familiar with. Bred for quick growth as an annual, but they can survive several years if never exposed to a freeze, and have the bonus of growing food. The brightest window in your home along with your grow light will be just enough to keep one going.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Jacaranda and Poinciana are both terrible candidates for bonsai indoors/anywhere in the north because they have big compound leaves and long internodes. Any smaller leaf fig will grow easily, and Bougainvillea, Arboricola Schefflera, Tamarind, Portulacaria, Cotoneaster, Boxwood, Elm, Chickasaw Crape Myrtle, and most Azalea & Gardenia that are sold in supermarkets around holidays work well always under lights. Junipers can be trained to never go outdoors, too, BUT that's the secret, always under and close to lights and watered regularly so they never are too wet too long or bone dry. That is very hard to do unless the owner is a very regular, regimented person who never skips part of the schedule. All these should be grown as mame and the same general size so that the lights are all about the same distance above the plants. Using a mirror like a door-mounted dressing mirror size as a table top also helps brighten the immediate zone. Movement of air needs to be continuous, but not so vigorous so as dry too quickly. Close to lights means heat that needs to be moved away. LEDs are much cooler and need to have the proper red/blue ratio, so only buy the more expensive banks designed as grow lights. Small is easier to obtain and to maintain and will give the owner something to do routinely, too, keeping them tidy.

Once they are bug free there is no source for new infestations, but it is necessary to put every new one through a cleaning routine that should include systemic drench like Bayer 3-in-1 Rose Care, hort oil spray & drench, dust with Sevin, and spray with 1 or 2% dish-washing soap like Dawn in water, then rinsed with clear water. Once the herd is pest-free, life is easy. Every new plant is like bringing a whore in, you have no idea what they have around.

Eventually, when you get better with not killing them there are several Cypress species for warm climates that work well, but not as a newbee.

Last edited:

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You might check the library for helpful books -- I found Brooklyn Botanic Gardens Growing Bonsai Indoors, and liked it enough to buy a used copy online ($4-5). Helps me choose species for my climate, too!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If nothing else, the seed starter kits can "plant the seed" in the mind of the unsuspecting consumer......then.....before they know it.....every corner of available space is filled with little pots and trees ......and you're now coming to the realization that you must consider the financial burden of your newfound addiction.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Its almost genius actually....or sick and twisted.

You have someone who's sort of intrigued by bonsai....its risky, but maybe by setting them up for failure, it increases their determination....then the addiction takes over.

Fuzzy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for the quick and detailed advice. I'm still researching. I have an annual small garden and a yard of trees, shrubs and flowers (annuals and perennials) that have all done well. I wanted to try the bonsai but indoors where I can admire and love them. I figured the gift seeds wouldn't work inside but thought I could at least get them started inside and then move them out. I'm not even sure they'll all do well in Zone 8a. I'm still researching my outdoor setup.

The ficus and red maple were recommended as good beginner, from seed, and indoor varieties by a neighbor that has a few bonsai. He suggested the LED grow lights I have. He also suggested a few indoor varieties to get that have already been through a few seasons. Just haven't found the right one(s).

Fuzzy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Its almost genius actually....or sick and twisted.

You have someone who's sort of intrigued by bonsai....its risky, but maybe by setting them up for failure, it increases their determination....then the addiction takes over.
The box says lifetime guarantee. If they won't grow inside or out, I should be able to get more seeds for free and keep trying.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The box says lifetime guarantee. If they won't grow inside or out, I should be able to get more seeds for free and keep trying.
They often leave the need to cold stratify your seeds out of the instructions. This just occurred to me.

Requirements can vary by species, but the procedure is the same. Fold the seeds in a moist paper towel, place this in storage bag, and drop in the bottom of the fridge.

Thanks for the quick and detailed advice. I'm still researching. I have an annual small garden and a yard of trees, shrubs and flowers (annuals and perennials) that have all done well. I wanted to try the bonsai but indoors where I can admire and love them. I figured the gift seeds wouldn't work inside but thought I could at least get them started inside and then move them out. I'm not even sure they'll all do well in Zone 8a. I'm still researching my outdoor setup.

The ficus and red maple were recommended as good beginner, from seed, and indoor varieties by a neighbor that has a few bonsai. He suggested the LED grow lights I have. He also suggested a few indoor varieties to get that have already been through a few seasons. Just haven't found the right one(s).
Looks like you have the basic ground work then. Looking forward to seeing more of you around here.

We all share the sentiment; wanting to enjoy trees in the house. The best way to do that is to have a dozen or so trees, and bring one of them in at a time for a week or two. Again, tropical species can often do alright indoors, and will need to come in over the winter anyway.
The issue with non-tropicals even if you can grow then inside is they usually require a winter dormancy period in order to be healthy, so can't come in over the winter anyway.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You might check the library for helpful books -- I found Brooklyn Botanic Gardens Growing Bonsai Indoors, and liked it enough to buy a used copy online ($4-5). Helps me choose species for my climate, too!
That’s a great book!

Fuzzy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They often leave the need to cold stratify your seeds out of the instructions. This just occurred to me.

Requirements can vary by species, but the procedure is the same. Fold the seeds in a moist paper towel, place this in storage bag, and drop in the bottom of the fridge.

Looks like you have the basic ground work then. Looking forward to seeing more of you around here.

We all share the sentiment; wanting to enjoy trees in the house. The best way to do that is to have a dozen or so trees, and bring one of them in at a time for a week or two. Again, tropical species can often do alright indoors, and will need to come in over the winter anyway.
The issue with non-tropicals even if you can grow then inside is they usually require a winter dormancy period in order to be healthy, so can't come in over the winter anyway.
I just read about cold stratification. Should I do that with the varieties I have - royal poinciana, rocky mountain pine, norway spruce, blue jacaranda, ficus and red maple. I found "yes" for red maple and "no" for ficus. What about the others?

Fuzzy

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That’s a great book!
I have already already picked up a few indoor bonsai book. Just added Brooklyn Botanic Gardens Growing Bonsai Indoors. Thanks

Top Bottom