Im stuck away from my trees!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My family and I have decided to stay in Puerto Rico until things relax a bit. I am not sure I want to fly my 4 month old or 4 year old right now. We had a flight booked until it was canceled and things changed quickly.

My father in law is actually living at my house right now, and will care for my trees until we can fly back.

It makes me sick to be away from my trees this time of year and potentially missing collection, repotting, and larch wiring. Keeping the family safe is a priority though.

He will be watering my trees at a minimum. My trees are winterized outdoors inside of large hardware cloth boxes. Any tips on how to ensure my trees survive under my father in laws care while I am gone? He thankfully is a very smart and detailed person. I am thinking facetime might come in handy.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Toothpicks or chopsticks in the soil to check if they need water, and having him send pictures every threw days should help a lot.
My parents pampered my trees thanks to that basically fool proof system.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And don't you stress brother!

Everything will be fine!

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Can he set up a yard sprinkler to turn on and shut off to reach them? I find that is quite helpful...than watering individually for care takers. And leave it run 15 minutes on them.

Family is ones first priority. Stay safe...trees at the end of the day can be replaced.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I lived overseas for 3 years and my wife tended many many trees. Just watering is easy, checking when to water is the skill you must impart. Easy.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My family and I have decided to stay in Puerto Rico until things relax a bit. I am not sure I want to fly my 4 month old or 4 year old right now. We had a flight booked until it was canceled and things changed quickly.

My father in law is actually living at my house right now, and will care for my trees until we can fly back.

It makes me sick to be away from my trees this time of year and potentially missing collection, repotting, and larch wiring. Keeping the family safe is a priority though.

He will be watering my trees at a minimum. My trees are winterized outdoors inside of large hardware cloth boxes. Any tips on how to ensure my trees survive under my father in laws care while I am gone? He thankfully is a very smart and detailed person. I am thinking facetime might come in handy.
I understand where you are coming from. It is happening to me in a different way. Recovering from major back surgery I am unable to get out to my workshop or Bonsai Nursery. Will likely miss another three weeks of busy time this year! Have been tied up since March 9th. My helper is watering carefully, All other activities on hold for the season. Patience is such a necessity for this hobby. Experience tells me the trees will be fine and I should stop fussing;)
Keep Healthy and enjoy the family time.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Its probably still pretty cold in Michigan so I wouldnt worry about the trees.
Are they still buried under snow?
Your and your family's health is more important.
The trees will be fine

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. It actually does make me feel better. I agree they will be fine once I get back. I hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
For watering I like the toothpick idea, im trying to keep it simple. Some of my trees have "wicks" out the bottom, which also help in telling if something needs water.

Top Bottom