I wonder why Thuja gets a bad rap....

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some great trees there! That workshop turned out some really nice afters. Canada definitely has some great yamadori Cedars. That last one is one of the beastliest Cedars I've ever seen.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Holy crap, that 40 dollar one is a steal! The weird thing is out here in the west, no other than Dan and his students really use Western Red or Alaska Yellow cedars as far as I know. I wish they were as abundant in bonsai form as the white cedars are.
@Ryan Huston
You need to travel north of the border in your description of "west" young man, as there are many of us that have them in our collection.....many of Dans trees came from Vancouver Island.

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Ryan Huston
You need to travel north of the border in your description of "west" young man, as there are many of us that have them in our collection.....many of Dans trees came from Vancouver Island.
You're right of course. I have never been to Canada yet despite living in Seattle for 3 years now, but Dan said that Vancouver Island was the most productive area for quality yamadori he ever found. I was hoping to take a collecting trip there at the end of the month, but it's up in the air right now.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This thuja is also a garden center tree
I use it as training material made a shari in spring and now im putting wire on to train my wireing skills :)

I must say the branches are quite flexible!
Only the green branches are knocked off prety fast!

20170912_194943.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just to mess with your minds... Thuja is a cypress, and isn't actually a cedar at all :)

It is somewhat related to Hinoki cypress, and Hinoki cypress branches can be grafted successfully onto Thuja!
Really?? Do they graft onto Calocedrus decurrens?

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I cut it down to roughly four feet in late May (Terrible timing, I know now but didn't then). did it in the wrong month,

When is the right time to cut back a Thuja? I would have thought late May to be a perfect time...

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just to mess with your minds... Thuja is a cypress, and isn't actually a cedar at all :)

It is somewhat related to Hinoki cypress, and Hinoki cypress branches can be grafted successfully onto Thuja!

Cool good to know i can try that on my training tree i like the base allot but i dislike the foliage and i have never grafted before

What would be the best time to graft in spring?

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I just picked this one up at my club auction this past weekend. I've never worked on one, but figured it was a good tree to practice wiring since I got a good deal on it.View attachment 162037

I use my thuja for wireing practice too be carefull with the green stuff tough it breaks off easily

Ry2Tree2

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How do you guys keep your thujas compact? Mine grows like bamboo in an empty pandabear zoo. Can't get the thing to go grow a little finer growth...
Prune harshly, and don't give them too much excess root space are my observations. Every tiny green scale has the potential to put out buds. Every tiny frond can become a new branch if we let them.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Here's a picture of Paul Weishaar's Thuja occidentalis, winner of the award for Best MABA-Indigenous Bonsai at this summer's MABA 2017 convention in Indianapolis. I think Paul did a good job of working with the species' strengths.

Attachments

• MABA 2017 Best MABA Native..JPG
    MABA 2017 Best MABA Native..JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 230

Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just purchased one a couple days ago for 49kr ($5?).. It was an absolute mess! A large portion of the branches were broken, very little soil (and most that was mud not topsoil), quite a bit of dead foliage, and I think it had not been watered in at least a week. I have cleaned it up a bit, and slip potted it since the pot was broken. I have not trimmed too much, as I do not want to stress it too much. Hoping for the best for it! I think it has quite a bit of potential.

IMG_0021.jpg

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Any updates?

I just purchased one a couple days ago for 49kr ($5?).. It was an absolute mess! A large portion of the branches were broken, very little soil (and most that was mud not topsoil), quite a bit of dead foliage, and I think it had not been watered in at least a week. I have cleaned it up a bit, and slip potted it since the pot was broken. I have not trimmed too much, as I do not want to stress it too

much. Hoping for the best for it! I think it has quite a bit of potential.

View attachment 165880

Josiana

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It unfortunately is pretty well dead.. It had quite a few problems, like spider mites, and they apparently sprayed it with insecticide to kill the spider mites, along with bad soil, a broken pot, et c.. I've not given up on it yet, but I think it is not going to live much longer.

Top Bottom