I found this inspiring

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sharing a link to Spanish bonsai artist Gabriel Romero. The link will bring you directly to a Japanese maple bonsai on his site that he has grown from seed and trained for 20 years in a pot ('89-'09). It is inspiring to see what someone with patience and determination can achieve from a mere tiny seedling to a beautiful mature maple specimen. I thought this would be interesting particularly for those starting out in bonsai.

He also has a fantastic Pinus Sylvestris that he has worked on for 26 years.

http://www.bonsaisantboi.com/particular/show/particular_id/3

Nice to see a well documented progression.
the nebari looks great!

Thanks for the post! It's confirmation that patience is key!

Nice to see a well documented progression.
the nebari looks great!

I agree. I think it is so important to keep documenting the progress of one's work. It can tell a great story of time, patience and determination.

Looks like it was all done in pots, no ground growing? Nice.

Let's see, I started a bunch of Japanese maple seedlings last year, so by 2034...

Looks like it was all done in pots, no ground growing? Nice.

Let's see, I started a bunch of Japanese maple seedlings last year, so by 2034...

Yes appears to be the case. I was surprised to learn that in Japan lots of maples (possibly many other trees) where completely container grown. Many for 40 + years. Bill V has also done the same with some of his maples. It takes tremendous dedication and patience. I am humbled by those that have done it and achieved such incredible results.

I always refer people to Bill's book when they say that trunks won't thicken in containers. It may take 20 or 40 years, but it can be done!

I probably don't have 40 years left, but 20 should be no problem!

Chris

Very cool I have a seedling that is + / - 12 years old that has never seen ground always in container, albeit large containers. I started it in a "tree pot" (they're pots made for forestry seedlings) then into large Terra cota pot. I've neglected it it still has a nice trunk. You can grow out trees in containers. I'll get some pics of mine

Awesome! I'm at 3 years with some of my zelkova broom,twenty years I be retired,That is the plan.I will have trees that are ridiculously documented.I have an album for each tree.
thanks for the inspiration

Back
Top Bottom