Removing dead bark on my bald cypress when I found this...

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
This is on the side of a large bald cypress I collected in September of 2022. A large dead area developed beneath the bark. When I removed the bark, I found a gray mass. Anyone know what it is?

IMG_8740.png

Bald cypress, especially larger ones, will develop significant dead zones on their trunk. Once we've topped a tree down to a stump, we've created unemployed areas that die off. At least that's my theory. It's not unlike pouring a large quantity of water down your driveway. Reduce the flow to a trickle and the stream narrows. The wide area of wet concrete will dry and narrow in on the trickle of water (if it's hot enough and you wait long enough). The area beneath the bark of a bald cypress stump is doing the same thing. The flow of nutrients and water slows and narrows to a trickle. That's when you start finding areas where the bark is flaking away to expose deadwood.

I've heard another theory that this can be caused by strong sunlight striking the bark. I say it's the same thing. The sun is dictating the areas where the sap flow will dry out. I have two areas where I keep collected bald cypress. One is south-facing with no shade. The other is north-facing beneath a large pecan tree. It is happenstance that my trees develop deadwood in the front where I would most like to see it.

I wonder how many of us are sun-drying our collected bald cypress on the wrong sides of our trees. An argument could be made to position the fronts our trees where they will receive the most light. After a few years, when sap flow has stabilized, we can position these trees as we like.

But, I digress. That gray mass. What is it and why is it in the middle of so much deadwood?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
This is on the side of a large bald cypress I collected in September of 2022. A large dead area developed beneath the bark. When I removed the bark, I found a gray mass. Anyone know what it is?

View attachment 538211

Bald cypress, especially larger ones, will develop significant dead zones on their trunk. Once we've topped a tree down to a stump, we've created unemployed areas that die off. At least that's my theory. It's not unlike pouring a large quantity of water down your driveway. Reduce the flow to a trickle and the stream narrows. The wide area of wet concrete will dry and narrow in on the trickle of water (if it's hot enough and you wait long enough). The area beneath the bark of a bald cypress stump is doing the same thing. The flow of nutrients and water slows and narrows to a trickle. That's when you start finding areas where the bark is flaking away to expose deadwood.

I've heard another theory that this can be caused by strong sunlight striking the bark. I say it's the same thing. The sun is dictating the areas where the sap flow will dry out. I have two areas where I keep collected bald cypress. One is south-facing with no shade. The other is north-facing beneath a large pecan tree. It is happenstance that my trees develop deadwood in the front where I would most like to see it.

I wonder how many of us are sun-drying our collected bald cypress on the wrong sides of our trees. An argument could be made to position the fronts our trees where they will receive the most light. After a few years, when sap flow has stabilized, we can position these trees as we like.

But, I digress. That gray mass. What is it and why is it in the middle of so much deadwood?
I don't know what that gray mass could be.
I have a few recently collected BCs in full sun. They don't do as well as other I set in part shade.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think you are onto something here.
Oh oh oh...
I know what it is. I recalled reading @BillsBayou post about shaping BCs with his 45.
Close. I only had a Glock 17 9mm in 2022. I didn't get my Sig Sauer 1911 .45 until last year.

And the tree was placed in full sun facing south. Because I shot the tree in the back, the eruptions are in the front. So the front got baked in the sun, creating the deadwood.

In an unrelated/related subject, what do you think about the new law, unlicensed conceal carry, coming into effect in July? I'm going to get a lot of carving done this summer.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Close. I only had a Glock 17 9mm in 2022. I didn't get my Sig Sauer 1911 .45 until last year.

And the tree was placed in full sun facing south. Because I shot the tree in the back, the eruptions are in the front. So the front got baked in the sun, creating the deadwood.

In an unrelated/related subject, what do you think about the new law, unlicensed conceal carry, coming into effect in July? I'm going to get a lot of carving done this summer.
I welcome the new law. Save me from having to re-up my license.
In the swamp I just carry as needed if I go to a new area and I don't know the critters situation there.
In New Orleans, I open carry.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I welcome the new law. Save me from having to re-up my license.
In the swamp I just carry as needed if I go to a new area and I don't know the critters situation there.
In New Orleans, I open carry.

Seems to me this would make interactions with police a bit dicey....

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Police in New Orleans welcome me every time I am there. They recognize right away I am a law abiding citizen and I am not hiding a thing from them.
Police nowadays approaches everyone as potential carrier anyway, so there is no difference in their approach.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That's a California response. In Louisiana, I told a state trooper that I had a weapon in my glovebox. He said "As long as it stays there, we'll be fine."
My police officer once stopped at my house and helped me sweep hurricane debris before telling me that there was a burn ban and I should hold off the trash burn. I like this kind of police force.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

They recently approved constitutional carry in Florida, I’d been carrying concealed for years (9mm Sig P365) so it didn’t change much for me personally but think overall it’s a good decision.

Interesting points about which way to face the BC’s.
I asked my younger bother to come over this evening and help move mine out of the chicken tractor shade house to a much sunnier place on my porch. Hoping they don’t get fried but will point the front at the sun.

BillsBayou

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They recently approved constitutional carry in Florida, I’d been carrying concealed for years (9mm Sig P365) so it didn’t change much for me personally but think overall it’s a good decision.

Interesting points about which way to face the BC’s.
I asked my younger bother to come over this evening and help move mine out of the chicken tractor shade house to a much sunnier place on my porch. Hoping they don’t get fried but will point the front at the sun.
I have no proof of which way to face BCs. It is currently a theory with anecdotal evidence.

The Barber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had my concealed carry for 15 years or so, and live in a constitutional carry state. I have a lot of police officers as customers at the barbershop, and they are all pro concealed carry.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
All this talk about guns makes me sad, I lost every single one to the swamp when collecting BCs...
All mine were lost to hurricane Laura except for my carry pistol.

Top Bottom