Removing Roots Question

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I noticed that at least two of my trees have a root growing right above the nebari and the root is growing over another larger root. At the next repot, can I simply lop off these roots (cut back flush to the trunk)? What if it fused to the lower root?

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might need a pic, but generally fine? Heals like any wound would but depends on age, location in relation to front, and species as to whether that is an issue. In my experience it takes some time to be fully fused, if really ugly worth the risk anyway 😃 my experience is mostly maples and elms. I feel like craggy conifers can get away with a messier nebari.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do that often on American Elm trees. Often I pick the root I want to keep. It sounds like in your case the upper root has to go. I have had a few partially fused, but easily broken away, roots that I’ve removed. Sometimes on the fused roots I find it better to let the fusion continue….the roots seem to flow and “melt” together as one root over time.

Photos from you would be helpful really. Post a couple angles of photos.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Generally no problem removing one root from a tree any time of year provided it is not the major supplier for the tree. No problem if it is fused to another root though it might be a bit harder to remove cleanly if they are fused close to the trunk.
Pictures are always good so we can all work from the same page.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was a little slow on the pics - but here ya go. One is the root I was originally referring to on a dwarf maple. It's just too high up and loops over the nebari. The other is a smaller root on a bloodgood. I wasn't going to remove them now, but rather at the next repot. Seems like I can just clip them off when I'm ready?

Attachments

• root1.jpg
    root1.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 51
  • root2.jpg
    root2.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 50

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was a little slow on the pics - but here ya go. One is the root I was originally referring to on a dwarf maple. It's just too high up and loops over the nebari. The other is a smaller root on a bloodgood. I wasn't going to remove them now, but rather at the next repot. Seems like I can just clip them off when I'm ready?
I'd remove them now. Cut at the trunk and at the soil surface (don't need to remove cut roots below soil right now). The tree won't skip a beat.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd remove them now. Cut at the trunk and at the soil surface (don't need to remove cut roots below soil right now). The tree won't skip a beat.
Thanks. Your answer also give me the opportunity to ask another newbie question - rotting roots and root rot aren't one and the same? i.e., just because I leave roots to rot in the soil this doesn't cause "root rot". Rather, "root rot" is a condition caused by too much water?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks. Your answer also give me the opportunity to ask another newbie question - rotting roots and root rot aren't one and the same? i.e., just because I leave roots to rot in the soil this doesn't cause "root rot". Rather, "root rot" is a condition caused by too much water?
Nope, not the same. Pathogenic root rot develops when oxygen levels are too low for too long... lots of causes but too much water is potentially one of them. Fwiw, that little bit of devitalized root is no different then having a bit of organic material- bark or sphagnum moss- in your soil

JackHammer

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Roots like that are a little more forgiving on ficus trees. That is not growing straight so I would remove it. It would fuse but it would take a lot of time and then be higher than the rest of the nebari - So probably not what you are looking for.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Definitely no problem removing one of many roots on any tree. Just need to make sure the tree has plenty of other roots to keep it going. In both cases here that's obvious.
The first picture shows a large root to be removed but there's also plenty of other similar large roots that will remain. Chances of that one root having most of the feeders and the others none is remote at best.
2nd tree shows a tiny root which the tree won't even miss.

Minor root reduction can be done any time. If you are not sure what proportion of roots the chop will remove it is safer to wait for repot season when you can explore more fully and make an informed decision.

Top Bottom