Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Or should I ask if you can even WIRE licorice ropes? :D

Man this is a rubber plant.

And I meant ...Hinok-I

Hinoki's tend to take multiple wirings to set all but the smallest branches (under about 1/8 inch). If you're having trouble with the branches not staying in place after you wired them, then you didn't use big enough wire. I think we've all had that experience, especially when wiring something new to us. If that's the case, you can go back and double wire. If you're asking when to remove the wire, you'll just have to watch for it to bite. It will be different on every branch and vary depending on the vigor of the plant.

It's the trunk. 5mm wire is holding but like holding rubber.

Here's your answer:

I must be phrasing the question wrong.
So... I shall make another attempt.

ahem....

On a Hinoki Cypress (as compared to oh, say.... a JBP..;...or an oak.....or possibly even a...um.... how about a MAPLE....or even a dandelion but I don't care on that one.......

THOSE trees take a preliminary SET....quite quickly. The wire may be reapplied as it cuts or rots off or maybe even gets stolen by surreptitious miscreants who steal copper in the dead of night.

HOWEVER..... the Hinoki seems to be much limberer (is that a word?) No? Okay...more flippity floppity flexible.... than trees made of sterner stuff. Like wood.

Oh I know the Hinoki is wood as it smells like wood, looks like wood, grows like wood (or licorice) but mostly woody-like (and not at all "tinny" like the word, "recidivision" which can put good ladies into fits of fainting.

So.....that being said..... (and the Hinoki being wired)..... will it take appreciably LONGER than ...oh, say a LARCH to achieve some sort of rigidity and be a good fellow and rather stand upright and steady in a certain amount of time that will be LONGER than a more cooperative tree?

So, from this you may assume that I....DO.... know it will take a spell of time longer than a boxwood, but I am just curious to know if it will hold an APPROXIMATION of the shape it is wired into during OUR geologic period?

There. :confused:

I must be phrasing the question wrong.
So... I shall make another attempt.

ahem....

On a Hinoki Cypress (as compared to oh, say.... a JBP..;...or an oak.....or possibly even a...um.... how about a MAPLE....or even a dandelion but I don't care on that one.......

THOSE trees take a preliminary SET....quite quickly. The wire may be reapplied as it cuts or rots off or maybe even gets stolen by surreptitious miscreants who steal copper in the dead of night.

HOWEVER..... the Hinoki seems to be much limberer (is that a word?) No? Okay...more flippity floppity flexible.... than trees made of sterner stuff. Like wood.

Oh I know the Hinoki is wood as it smells like wood, looks like wood, grows like wood (or licorice) but mostly woody-like (and not at all "tinny" like the word, "recidivision" which can put good ladies into fits of fainting.

So.....that being said..... (and the Hinoki being wired)..... will it take appreciably LONGER than ...oh, say a LARCH to achieve some sort of rigidity and be a good fellow and rather stand upright and steady in a certain amount of time that will be LONGER than a more cooperative tree?

So, from this you may assume that I....DO.... know it will take a spell of time longer than a boxwood, but I am just curious to know if it will hold an APPROXIMATION of the shape it is wired into during OUR geologic period?

There. :confused:
It depends...

DSC_0384 copy.JPG
Aluminum?
I try to use copper with conifers for the extra holding power
It doesn't matter, Aluminum or Copper. If you use either one and the branch stays in place it does not matter what elemental wire you use. You could use a booger on a string. Just because Copper has better holding power does not guarantee it will cause the branch to hold its shape better than Aluminum. Sometimes Copper can cause you real problems by the fact that every time you bend it, it becomes more difficult to bend. Oftern this can create opportunities for bark damage. As to the time involved with Hindi: ? It depends. Most of the time you are forced by the thickening of the branch you cannot leave the wire on longer than a year and you may need to rewire. You leave the wire on as long as necessary.

This Hinoki has been wired and rewired over and over again since 1994 when its design began.

Last edited:
with lodgepole pines which tend to be very flexible, making a small cut at the bent area creates thicker callus as it heals which helps hold the bend. Should work with hinoki too.

Back
Top Bottom