Houston cant have all the fun!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@defra and @StoneCloud

When I was a kid, we were always taught not to completely shut the house up like you're suggesting with silicone. We were told to crack the windows on the leeward side of the house. The reason being is if the eye of the hurricane is near you or passes over you, the pressure differences of it going over your house can actually blow out your windows.
Having the windows cracked allows any pressure difference to be alleviated.

Maybe thats a myth? I dont know.

In any case, you guys in the path of this thing have been on my mind every day. I hope everyone comes out of this Ok

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@defra and @StoneCloud

When I was a kid, we were always taught not to completely shut the house up like you're suggesting with silicone. We were told to crack the windows on the leeward side of the house. The reason being is if the eye of the hurricane is near you or passes over you, the pressure differences of it going over your house can actually blow out your windows.

In any case, you guys in the path of this thing have been on my mind every day. I hope everyone comes out of this Ok

Yes theyre on my mind too!
I think stoneclouds intention of the sealing was to only to seal the doors up to the level the water might reach so it doesnt go flood into the house

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I was on a totally different planet when I send a message to friends that included images of posters that I really like, but I thought about those in the French Antilles and Cuba, and Florida.

It was - as usual - rather tongue-in-chhek, but as one of my teachers used to say when I was in high school, "beyond each joke, there's a truth".

Well, I'm still looking for the truth, after abandonning religious beliefs and political certitudes.

I'm wondering whether the artists that made these beautiful posters were just mere servants of a totalitarian ideology, or talented artists just trying to survive.

For yes, I believe that it's very funny to see people (the whole of a people) marching on the water thanks to progress: Jesus! We are in the 21st century. And the earth is not flat. And global warming is the result of greedy capitalists and their slaves, half-wits that support their masters.

A very naive picture of how some define themselves. Maybe we should have a closer look at it...

Brave-the-wind-and-the-waves-everything-has-remarkable-abilities.jpg

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@defra and @StoneCloud

Thanks for your thoughts!! No this isn't a myth you are right. I wouldn't do the whole house but bottom few feet of doors and low windows. We do leave a window cracked as well....from the top though.

I've been through a few in NC as well as the one in NY and these things are so exhausting man....

Right now it doesn't look like we are getting directly hit although we will still get a pretty strong part of the hurricane.

The winds have picked up a decent amount already and are steady...it's pouring rain too. Makes me kinda miss NY LOL

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Here is a video I just took. Rain is sideways and there is a lot of it!

Not that bad so far apparently. I mean if where you live the draining system was designed to absorb that quantity of water: the pb is the risk of being flooded.

It happened not so far where I live last year, part of the highway was turned into a river for the first time in 30 years. I keep my fingers crossed

Last edited:

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Makes me kinda miss NY LOL

Been watching the storm coverage all day. Fox has had all day news coverage of the happenings down there. We have been glued to it like crack.

Yea these things are one of the things that makes me not want to move further south.
I know we get hurricanes up here to but not as often nor typically not as strong as Florida.
The other thing is the heat, I cant stand the heat and humidity down there.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Been watching the storm coverage all day. Fox has had all day news coverage of the happenings down there. We have been glued to it like crack.

Yea these things are one of the things that makes me not want to move further south.
I know we get hurricanes up here to but not as often nor typically not as strong as Florida.
You couldn't pay me to live anywhere in Florida. I've moved as far south as I can go. From here, if I ever move again, it'll either be back up north your way or west.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Been watching Fox News as well.

Up here, Sandy was indeed nuts. We live in the middle of Long Island, and were without power for only 1 day.
That was GREAT, because I was then able to go out and help people with their HVAC systems, and get them heat & hot water (as long as THEY had power)!
Worked 18-20 hours days, 7 days a week.

I hope everyone is OK, and continued Prayers sent.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Oh, how I understand you!

And having grown in low mountains when I was a kid, I can't imagine a place without seasons, hot sun in summer, beautiful colours in autumn, snow and frost in winter, and the renewal of nature in spring.

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since global warming came up, let me share an idea that I have. I think the orbit of the earth changing may cause some of the heating because I've heard about a 20,000 year cycle. Supposedly 10,000 years ago it was cold. Now it's moving towards the sun on the hot part of the cycle. I doubt we are helping the situation with pollution.
My brother and friends in Sarasota are fine. No lights for some, and two pool cages need new screen. But they seem to be well.
Naples and the keys are another story. If you go there, remember that the days after are just as dangerous and cleanup/repairs always hurt a lot of people. Be careful!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I doubt we are helping the situation with pollution.

I think you're wrong.

I've already posted this beacause I think that the National Geographic is not a society that would spread "fake news":

"Those who don't know the truth are dummies, but those who know the truth and call it a lie are criminals"
Bertold Brecht

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
an idea that I have. I think

It's OK for common people like us, but when someone has the power to make decisions, "an idea that I have. I think" is pitiful, and most of the time criminal.

"Fake news" has become a meme, thanks to a stupid moron only interested in money and power.

I much, much prefer "Fact checking".

Peoples have the rulers they deserve.

My deepest sympthy for the majority of North Koreans and USonians. All the same but different.

PS: the minorities, and unjustly prosecuted outlaws, undocumented immigrants, will always been welcome here, like they've been before. As long as they don't bear weapons: I hope my home is a very small civilized place in the world ;)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Our company sent 2 fuel trucks down to Florida to fuel the Ameren trucks, while they are working to restore power. Hope you all made it through safe!

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Well back on the grid. My plants were placed behind the house. I think they actually grew. Three days without ac can make you cranky in 85 deg weather with 60 percent humidity. Just some limbs down for me. We got lucky.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well back on the grid. My plants were placed behind the house. I think they actually grew. Three days without ac can make you cranky in 85 deg weather with 60 percent humidity. Just some limbs down for me. We got lucky.
There are still many neighborhoods around Atlanta without power, and we won't even talk about Florida. From what I see, you're way ahead of the curve! Glad you made it through.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
There are still many neighborhoods around Atlanta without power, and we won't even talk about Florida. From what I see, you're way ahead of the curve! Glad you made it through.
I know my sister lost power up there. I was thinking it was little more than a rainstorm by the time it made it to atlanta and people lost power? There were a good amount of people from atl freaking out too.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I know my sister lost power up there. I was thinking it was little more than a rainstorm by the time it made it to atlanta and people lost power? There were a good amount of people from atl freaking out too.
It was still a tropical storm when it passed near Atlanta. Lots of wind and rain plus lots of very large, old trees equals lots of power outages.

Top Bottom