Hobbit Jade - Would I need to transplant this to call it a "Bonsai"?

GuyDudeman

Seedling
Reaction score
Here is a Hobbit Jade plant I've been growing for about 10 years or so... Am I entitled to call this a Bonsai? It's rather large, and would take a LOT of work to transplant into something else.

IMG_6247.JPEGIMG_6248.JPEGIMG_6249.JPEG

I also have a couple others I've been working on, from the same original clipping, but I haven't provided these with as much growing space or water (or love) as the big one...

IMG_7320.JPEG
IMG_7322.JPEG

Last edited:

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome to the site!

Incredible jade tree. I think some folks on here get a bit weird about deciding what is and is not a bonsai. I prefer to keep it simple and say that a cool tree in a pot is a bonsai (I forget who's signature that is...).

I wouldn't transfer it just to feel more like you could call it a bonsai, especially because you could already call it a niwaki, which is really cool too!

GuyDudeman

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

Incredible jade tree. I think some folks on here get a bit weird about deciding what is and is not a bonsai. I prefer to keep it simple and say that a cool tree in a pot is a bonsai (I forget who's signature that is...).

I wouldn't transfer it just to feel more like you could call it a bonsai, especially because you could already call it a niwaki, which is really cool too!
Awesome! Thanks so much! I'm going to just keep it where it is. if it ever fills up that planter or starts to look like it's suffering in any way, I'll transplant it into something else. But for now, it's staying right where it is!

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you want to make bonsai, I'd focus on the cuttings, and take a bunch more of them! I don't know anything about this species, but I really do love the big one. The way the three trunks fan out has some really great 3D depth.

GuyDudeman

Seedling
Reaction score
If you want to make bonsai, I'd focus on the cuttings, and take a bunch more of them! I don't know anything about this species, but I really do love the big one. The way the three trunks fan out has some really great 3D depth.
Yeah, I love it! That makes sense.

What about the other two in the smaller pots? Should I work on those and try to make them more "bonsai"?

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Make them as bonsai as you want them to be. I think the one in the rectangle pot is already lovely, and I'd keep at it.

I really don't have much to offer in terms of horticulture for these guys, but I do like them. My teacher has a number of elephant jade that are nice specimens, but I have no idea how to work them.

While I have you, it might be a good idea to add your location to your profile, in account details. It can be as precise it approximate as you wish. See my screenshot below for help finding it.

I hope you stay awhile! If you're interested in learning more about bonsai, I think getting several different trees in different species is a great first move.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230907_160042_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230907_160042_Chrome.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 11

queenofsheba52

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suppose, if you wanted to risk one of the small ones (or experiment on one of the branches of the samll ones) you could take cuttings all the way down to a thick part of the trunk, then see if you get any back budding. My normal jade may or may not back bud if I do a drastic prune like that, which is why I say "risk it".

Glad you found this awesome bonsai site! I really love your big tree.

GuyDudeman

Seedling
Reaction score
Make them as bonsai as you want them to be. I think the one in the rectangle pot is already lovely, and I'd keep at it.

I really don't have much to offer in terms of horticulture for these guys, but I do like them. My teacher has a number of elephant jade that are nice specimens, but I have no idea how to work them.

While I have you, it might be a good idea to add your location to your profile, in account details. It can be as precise it approximate as you wish. See my screenshot below for help finding it.

I hope you stay awhile! If you're interested in learning more about bonsai, I think getting several different trees in different species is a great first move.
Thanks! That all makes sense. I'll add my location to my profile, too. I'm in Long Beach, CA.

GuyDudeman

Seedling
Reaction score
I suppose, if you wanted to risk one of the small ones (or experiment on one of the branches of the samll ones) you could take cuttings all the way down to a thick part of the trunk, then see if you get any back budding. My normal jade may or may not back bud if I do a drastic prune like that, which is why I say "risk it".

Glad you found this awesome bonsai site! I really love your big tree.
Thanks! Yeah, I think I'm going to just leave them as-is and see how long they live in their little pots. I only water them every couple months or when they start turning red. Other than that, I don't do anything. I just let them sit there.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum! The two large ones are really nice jades. And it’s cool you grew them out personally. But you are hiding one of the best parts of a bonsai with them and that is the nebari. Nevertheless they are nice!

GuyDudeman

Seedling
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! The two large ones are really nice jades. And it’s cool you grew them out personally. But you are hiding one of the best parts of a bonsai with them and that is the nebari. Nevertheless they are nice!
Thanks! Yeah, that's kinda what I was wondering about... I guess transplanting them would expose those roots, but with the big one it would be a major hassle.

Top Bottom