Hibiscus Syriacus (Common Hibiscus) #27

Im saying, syriacus is not a quality bonsai species... The wood is soft, the branching tends to be upright, the wounds dont close well.. Its not something I would propagate a bunch of cuttings of like I would maples, junipers, elms, etc.
I'm really not expecting to create a show stopping bonsai my first time around. :)

I understand that, just saying that you can spend the effort of making cuttings of syriacus or instead make cuttings of something readily available that will be more conducive to bonsai techniques and will give you more enjoyment. Juniper, maple, elm, privet, thuja, linden all are easily grown from cuttings and will be more enjoyable for your effort. I'm not saying dont try cuttings of syriacus... but add some variety now.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the process! Trust me, I am not the one around here who will tell you not to take your time or not to spend time with material which is not known to be good for the craft, but I will tell you that you don't want to load up on material which will take up space for more enjoyable and resilient species.

Last edited:
I understand that, just saying that you can spend the effort of making cuttings of syriacus or instead make cuttings of something readily available that will be more conducive to bonsai techniques and will give you more enjoyment. Juniper, maple, elm, privet, thuja, linden all are easily grown from cuttings and will be more enjoyable for your effort. I'm not saying dont try cuttings of syriacus... but add some variety now.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the process! Trust me, I am not the one around here who will tell you not to take your time or not to spend time with material which is not known to be good for the craft, but I will tell you that you don't want to load up on material which will take up space for more enjoyable and resilient species.
Cool. And Thank you. :)

You're right, and as another member told me, "It's entirely possible to learn all stages at once. Get more trees, lots more trees", or something very similar.

There is a Japanese Maple in my complex, and a couple cherry trees, a magnolia tree, a kousa dogwood, swamp white oak, silver maple, and what I think is eastern cottonwood. Also Yew.

So... I think I'm gonna do some Rose of Sharon cuttings, maybe not as many as I had planned... then probly take a few cutting from a few of the other trees.

It sounds like, while there ways to improve success rate.... taking cuttings is kind of hit or miss and everyone looses a few...

The Kousa Dogwood and Magnolia trees are what I'm working towards. No idea if either make good bonsai but I love them.

Apologies for being difficult. lol

Last edited:
The Kousa Dogwood and Magnolia trees are what I'm working towards. No idea if either make good bonsai but I love them.

Apologies for being difficult. lol

Dogwood is a good tree for bonsai. Magnolia can be depending on species and cultivar. I have not tried cuttings from either.

Im saying, syriacus is not a quality bonsai species... The wood is soft, the branching tends to be upright, the wounds dont close well.. Its not something I would propagate a bunch of cuttings of like I would maples, junipers, elms, etc.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy the process! Trust me, I am not the one around here who will tell you not to take your time or not to spend time with material which is not known to be good for the craft, but I will tell you that you don't want to load up on material which will take up space for more enjoyable and

Dogwood is a good tree for bonsai. Magnolia can be depending on species and cultivar. I have not tried cuttings from either.
Sweet! I'm excited.

Back
Top Bottom