Help me identify this tree

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I received this tree in June of last year from a club member who didn't know the species. It has grown super fast and I am thinking of chopping it, but have no clue the species or really if I am wasting my time with it. Here are some current pictures:

1706639265960.png
1706639287845.png
1706639306861.png

Here it is when I received it:
1706640295954.png

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hmmmm. Serrated oval leaves made me think elm, but the buds don't seem right. Maybe Chinese chestnut?

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I stink at this game. My guess would be something like flowering cherry or apricot due to the bark, buds and leaves.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My PictureThis! app says it's European Plum. I have no idea if it's correct, but it might be a good place to start looking.

ZombieNick

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
No clue. Nice taper. How deep is the base? Chop chop? 🪓 🪓🤔
Haven't gone in there and checked, I kind of just remembered I had it 😅.

Prunus seems like a good bet, thanks for the responses. I did not notice any fruit/flowers last year, do they have to reach a certain age before they produce fruit?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Haven't gone in there and checked, I kind of just remembered I had it 😅.

Prunus seems like a good bet, thanks for the responses. I did not notice any fruit/flowers last year, do they have to reach a certain age before they produce fruit?
I think at 3-6 years of age for Plum

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree with prunus of some sort. Plum is likely but bud clusters also look a bit like cherry.
Prunus are precocious and can flower after 1 year but conditions play a big part in maturity. In a pot with less than optimal care it may take longer. The clusters of buds and the short spurs are typical of flower buds in most Prunus. Chances are it will flower in spring IMHO.

Top Bottom