Help identify a tree and suggest a course of action for a rookie

Captain_Electron

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Hi all

Sorry I posted this in what did you to today thread but need some more help

So I’m a rookie other then barley keeping a juniper alive the last two years.

I have jumped in hard here. I have 7 trees now which is probably nothing compared to you all

I found this neglected guy on Craigslist yesterday for $40 including the stand. Couldn’t help myself due to his size

Probably 15 inches tall and the pot is probably a 14 inch pot so fairly big tree

It’s obviously a mess. Trying to figure out how to bring him back to life now.

First need to identify it? Best guess seems to be privet so far?

He appears to be in a dense black dirt not a rocky bonsai soil. Debating on repotting him.

He is also clearly in desperate need of a pruning. I am new to pruning since I have not had a tree grow enough to warrant it.

I think I’m just going to get rid of the dry dead shoots for starters and then let it settle in.

I have this soil pictured below. Any thoughts on repotting him with this?

Here are some more detailed pics to help
Also looks like someone tried to fertilize him I guess

He has to be inside due to my climate but I have giant 30 foot ceilings with 15 foot tall cathedral windows.

I also have grow lights for him. Can anyone suggest some care instructions as I’m new to doing much else but watering and have done one or two repotting

45D9E449-9BDD-4EC0-9A68-D7D6562E7381.jpeg
69B4C1CC-95DC-4829-A362-ADF25143062D.jpeg
04F5FCD1-2040-47E3-89F3-F5ED3A7D4AC9.jpeg

0FCEC2D0-DDBD-4EF8-9606-34B06E0538D5.jpeg

CF716379-9E42-4F2D-BECF-4B0148253992.jpeg

Captain_Electron

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Got him cleaned up today and trimmed a good bit to at least get rid of the dead shoots and let some others get some light.

Still debating on reporting

7229F5C9-9745-4158-AF31-19FD69A5F867.jpeg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Privet looks right... a very good guess. It could also be a Jasmine. Has it flowered? If its a privet, it should be outside dormant, not inside. It might be smart to try to transition it to dormancy somehow. Did the person selling it tell you what it was, where they kept it?

Soil looks pretty bad. A repot is probably warranted.

Will you be putting it outside when temps allow? I think I would try to just watch watering and wait til closer to spring for repot as if it were any other tree.

The stand and tree for $40 is a good deal!.

Captain_Electron

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Privet looks right... a very good guess. It could also be a Jasmine. Has it flowered? If its a privet, it should be outside dormant, not inside. It might be smart to try to transition it to dormancy somehow. Did the person selling it tell you what it was, where they kept it?

Soil looks pretty bad. A repot is probably warranted.

Will you be putting it outside when temps allow? I think I would try to just watch watering and wait til closer to spring for repot as if it were any other tree.

The stand and tree for $40 is a good deal!.
Hi

They told me it had been indoors it’s whole life. It’s 29 f at my house so not much I can do right now with it.

I am thinking about repotting. There is no way it’s getting enough drainage. I’m worried about root rot.

It seems to be pretty healthy all things considered. It had lots if long new shoots I just trimmed off.

I figured for $40 what the heck why not.
Can’t even by the pot for $40 around me

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just because it has been indoors its whole life, doesnt mean it SHOULD be.

Need to know what specific species it is.
Try a plant identification app or look for other markers. Either way, Id get it outside in spring once temps have stabalized above 50deg.

Is it actively growing right now? Maybe see how it responds to the pruning. Look for new buds, growth.

Captain_Electron

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Fair enough
Just because it has been indoors its whole life, doesnt mean it SHOULD be.

Need to know what specific species it is.
Try a plant identification app or look for other markers. Either way, Id get it outside in spring once temps have stabalized above 50deg.

Is it actively growing right now? Maybe see how it responds to the pruning. Look for new buds, growth.

Fair enough
I don’t really have a place for anything outside sadly that gets enough sun. It seems strange to put grow lights outside lol

I have a townhouse with a covered balcony but it gets exactly zero sun. It’s plausible I could put it outside at some point but seems unlikely.

It was growing like a weed inside when I got it from the owner. I am curious to see what it does after I just trimmed it all back

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Remember, what a tree needs is what they naturally get in optimal environment. If the species you're working with is meant to have a dormant winter period, trying to push it through inside will be detrimental.

Hope it lives and flourishes for you. If it doesnt, then ask what went wrong and if you could have done anything to prevent it. Its part of the learning process.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Privet won't care if it doesn't have a dormant time.
The new pics with the hand look even more like privet.
Hard to kill so I'd even be tempted to repot if you really think it needs it, especially when kept indoors. Otherwise take care with watering for a few months and get it through winter then repot in spring.

Top Bottom