HELP! Leaves becoming yellow on privet; looking thinner everyday

JO-LMGMT

Seedling
Reaction score
I bought a bonsai about 2 months ago in the middle of July in Berlin and I moved it to Canada about a week later, it's a privet, and I'm keeping as an indoor tree. Everything was fine up until about 2 weeks ago where I noticed a lot of leafage yellowing and falling from the tree. I've been doing nothing different from when I'd just bought it and it was doing great up until then. Watering it once a day in the morning with a nice syringe pump I bought at the bonsai store, fertilizing it about every two weeks like the shop owners had said, with this organic fertilizer ''flux fertilizer''. Then last week I noticed some weird yellowish amberish brownish bubbly substance on the soil, after sending multiple pictures to the people at the store they said it was just algae, nothing serious or deadly to the tree. They asked me to take pictures of the tree from various angles assuring me that everything is fine and that the tree is probably just ''following nature and that it seems to them from the pictures that it might just be foliage being replaced by new growth. This morning though, I've noticed that in the pictures I sent them a while ago, the tree was a lot ''fuller'' and so I'm starting to get worried. No one is really helping out, they've asked me a few question which I pasted the responses to here:

''How do you water the root system, does it get dipped in water or normally watered? Normally watered; I use one of the green pear-shaped syringe pumps you sell in the shop.
How often does the plant need water? I water it in the morning, once a day usually, sometimes twice but usually the soil feels wet enough that I just mist the leaves.
how often do you fertilise? Once every two weeks. With the vita flux fertilizer.
how far is the plant from the first light source? The plant is at a windowsill facing north east - it gets good light in the morning but after it isn't so direct for the rest of the day.
are there brown spots on the leaves? Noticed a few spots.

I haven't heard anything since except other than they think the brown spots might be a small fungal infection, but they haven't recommended anything further. One thing I thought was ''oh maybe because Fall is coming'', but its been super hot here in Montreal, like 30degrees celcius. Yes days, are getting shorter, and also, it was cold for like a week (but nothing radical like never below 15celcius) but I doubt that would be a problem. Looking for help here, hope it doesn't die. Here are responses from the store owners.

''Thanks for your email,
Ive Seen the picture you shot from below and i could recognise that some of the leaves are yellowing.
There could be many reasons for that. Since the overall impression i had looking at the tree is quite healthy, it could be a minor issue

I have some questions:

How do you water the root system, does it get dipped in water or normally watered?
How often does the plant need water?
how often do you fertilise?
how far is the plant from the first light source?
are there brown spots on the leaves?
could you please send a picture of the whole tree from above?

it is for me difficult to suggest a product from outside the European market because there are substantial differences on the product range available. any wide spectrum insecticide or acaricide for indoor or decorative plants would do, just the only products i know refer to the European market unfortunately

thanks a lot''

''Dear jesse,
I looked very carefully at this tree.
It's a general rule that given constant conditions, the total leaves surface stays the same-

It's actually a good news, your tree is healthy-

Of course there could be hights and lows, especially in case of a bonsai- it takes usually a decade to learn the proper techniques-
What stays the same is the total amount of green, given the same amount of roots, light and nourishment-
It means when the plant gets new branches, old leaves ( or random preexistent leaves) will yellow and fall.
Its the old thing about perpetual growth, plants in a pot cannot. It comes to a point some parts die while others grow.
I think it's the case with your privet, it's following nature.
It could be repotted to grow a step bigger-
If you like, we offer workshops on this and other topics

Best regards ''

Attachments

• IMG_7915.jpg
    IMG_7915.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7917.jpg
    IMG_7917.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7919.jpg
    IMG_7919.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7920.jpg
    IMG_7920.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7921.jpg
    IMG_7921.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7923.jpg
    IMG_7923.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7924.jpg
    IMG_7924.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7925.jpg
    IMG_7925.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7926.jpg
    IMG_7926.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 40
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 38

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
green pear-shaped syringe pumps you sell in the shop.

Yeah....
Welcome to Crazy!

If A shop had me watering with something that sounds more like a sex toy than a watering can....
I wouldn't go back, or call, or email!

Privet is one of them trees that live long enough inside...
Like, until after you move away from the shop...
Before they die. So they keep selling em!

But I have yet to see good updates on any "indoor" ones.

They fo out do.

Sorce

JO-LMGMT

Seedling
Reaction score
Yeah....
Welcome to Crazy!

If A shop had me watering with something that sounds more like a sex toy than a watering can....
I wouldn't go back, or call, or email!

Privet is one of them trees that live long enough inside...
Like, until after you move away from the shop...
Before they die. So they keep selling em!

But I have yet to see good updates on any "indoor" ones.

They fo out do.

Sorce
Well, I've seen those pumps before, they are quite lovely, they act like rain. I've seen many videos of people using them for their trees. Place is also very lovely and reputed, they are one of the best bonsai nurseries in Europe, and one of the only ones who actually have japanese employees that know what they're doing, they just aren't that ''on'' with responding... Anyways, I'm not really looking to bash the place just looking for a solution and some tips on how to get this tree healthy.

Attachments

• unnamed (10).jpg
    unnamed (10).jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 38

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I moved it to Canada about a week later, it's a privet, and I'm keeping as an indoor tree.

Best regards ''

It's an outdoor tree though.

If you keep it indoors, you will get more yellow leaves. And then no leaves.

Welcome to the forum and Canada!

JO-LMGMT

Seedling
Reaction score
Right, but it's been outside for 2 weeks now, and leaves are still d
It's an outdoor tree though.

If you keep it indoors, you will get more yellow leaves. And then no leaves.

Welcome to the forum and Canada!

Right, but it's been kept outside for like 2 weeks now, and leaves are still falling, also... Everywhere I've gotten info from including the store, and multiple online sources and a japanese forum, people seem to say ''They may be grown inside, as well as outdoors.'' There's also no reason not too, as the temperatures and conditions right now inside are pretty much the same as outside. Also, I've another tree and it's doing fine.

JO-LMGMT

Seedling
Reaction score
Aye get it outside. Sounds like a pout. Privets are very hard to kill apparently. Get it out side and ride it out.
what's a pout? It's been outside for a bit now.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Right, but it's been outside for 2 weeks now, and leaves are still d

Right, but it's been kept outside for like 2 weeks now, and leaves are still falling, also... Everywhere I've gotten info from including the store, and multiple online sources and a japanese forum, people seem to say ''They may be grown inside, as well as outdoors.'' There's also no reason not too, as the temperatures and conditions right now inside are pretty much the same as outside. Also, I've another tree and it's doing fine.

Ok, do what the books say.

Your leaves arn't going to turn green all of a sudden. The yellow ones will eventually fall off. New leaves should show themselves. These things take time.

My privets are still putting out new growth. Mind you we're having freak weather right now. It's fall, but the weather is pretending to be summer.

But put it outside. Leave it outside. Let it get snowed on. Give it some rest over the winter.

Or do what the books say.

Where in Canada are you?

Also remember... if you should for whatever reason keep a privet inside, at least ensure it's getting enough light.

My money is on give it dormancy.

JO-LMGMT

Seedling
Reaction score
Ok, do what the books say.

Your leaves arn't going to turn green all of a sudden. The yellow ones will eventually fall off. New leaves should show themselves. These things take time.

My privets are still putting out new growth. Mind you we're having freak weather right now. It's fall, but the weather is pretending to be summer.

But put it outside. Leave it outside. Let it get snowed on. Give it some rest over the winter.

Or do what the books say.

Where in Canada are you?

Also remember... if you should for whatever reason keep a privet inside, at least ensure it's getting enough light.

My money is on give it dormancy.

What about when it gets REAAAAAL cold, I'm in Montreal, basically same weather as you guys in Toronto, thanks for helping me out btw.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
They can definitely be grown indoors... until they start to decline. Then, you have a choice... let it continue to decline and eventually die... or... move it outside where it has a decent chance. Fwiw, you've only got a short window to get it outside to ready itself for the coming winter. Let us know what you choose to do.

JO-LMGMT

Seedling
Reaction score
They can definitely be grown indoors... until they start to decline. Then, you have a choice... let it continue to decline and eventually die... or... move it outside where it has a decent chance. Fwiw, you've only got a short window to get it outside to ready itself for the coming winter. Let us know what you choose to do.
So I guess it is staying outside then. What do I do when it gets real cold... I mean eventually like other deciduous trees the leaves will fall right? ...it gets pretttttty cold here in the winter like, -25celcius, seems to me that's gonna kill it if it even survives til then.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
So I guess it is staying outside then. What do I do when it gets real cold... I mean eventually like other deciduous trees the leaves will fall right? ...it gets pretttttty cold here in the winter like, -25celcius, seems to me that's gonna kill it if it even survives til then.
Do privets grow in Montreal? How cold hardy is your particular privet species?

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Snow is your friend. ;)

Kind of like cats falling out of buildings. Casualty rates rise as you get up to about the 8th floor and and then no casualties.. they reach terminal velocity and kind of parachute.

Now I've wrote it it's not the same, but I've done it now..

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wondering, if you could recommend somewhere between Toronto and Montreal where I could find a proper indoor bonsai, and what species to look for judging by our standard winters.

Thanks again!

Well. There are a couple of nurseries in Quebec. Google them. There is also a club in Montreal that would be able to help you out.

In Ontario we have a few nurseries as well. Come to our fall show in Toronto over Thanksgiving (Canadian Thanksgiving) weekend and there will be vendors as well as members selling trees, and starter material some of which will be tropicals. I will be selling a bunch of tropicals. Ficuses and Portulacarias.

Kims Nature and The Bonsai Guy both sell tropicals in and around Toronto (GTA)

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do privets grow in Montreal? How cold hardy is your particular privet species?

I'm sure they do. They used to be used a lot as hedging material in Toronto, same with Siberian Elms. For some reason the fad has changed over to boxwoods now. Privets are being replaced.

Do they grow in the wild here? I've personally never seen one.

My privet. I bury with all my other trees for the winter. Leaves drop. New ones grow in the spring.

Top Bottom