Help identify tree

Jrmcmich

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wondering if any insight on this tree? Collected this after marking in fall and not sure species. Old bark is course with suckers bark much more smooth. Leafs are still coming out so probably not full shape or size yet. Leafs are opposite which is hard to see in pictures but can see them around various stems.

Attachments

• IMG_8814.jpeg
    IMG_8814.jpeg
    249.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8815.jpeg
    IMG_8815.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_8815.jpeg
    IMG_8815.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 39
possibly? Looking that up appears has 3 leafs which I dont think this has but am wondering if it is some type of maple.
thanks for tip to look up and pic below shows online picture
1713669925064.jpeg

Viburnum Trilobum - high bush cranberry?

Always hard to ID part open leaves as they don't really look typical at that stage. Give them a few weeks and post pics of fully mature leaves. Pics of bark, growth habit (opposite or alternate buds) can be helpful. Location of the collection can also give valuable hints. Wet, dry, creek side, mountain top, rocky, lowland, etc can all rule out or rule in certain species.

So looking more online wondering if might be a black maple? Found this online which bark appears to be what mine looks like

The bark of a young Black Maple tree is dark grey in color, smooth, and firm. As the tree gets older, the bark becomes furrowed. The bark is similar to the Sugar Maple, but it is a bit darker with deeper grooves

1713725030834.jpeg

Acer Negundo
I believe you are correct. I went Out into woods today and saw tons of these. I saw Your progression thread as well. Very nice job. I’m a bit disappointed in leaf type but will sr if this tree survives as not many roots when collected n

Back
Top Bottom