Help getting started

I am in my 5th year of growing cottonwood. I've definitively verified two things
  • That it can reduce
  • That dieback can be overcome and completely avoided if you do the right things
The first point (reduction) is just a matter of learning deciduous broadleaf techniques, ramification methods, bonsai potting (don't expect reduction until you get OUT of that pond basket or anderson flat), and defoliation.

The second point is all about erasing sucker/waterspout buds as they happen. During spring, erase buds that are at junctions and along the trunk near the base. That's it.

@Lebiuqse , if you decide to grow cottonwood, then please print the second point out on a sheet of paper in your workshop and return to that point a year or two from now if you are scratching your head about how to figure this species out. It's suitable for bonsai.

Also, if you want cottonwood from the wild, perhaps take cuttings in early June instead of digging a tree up. Cuttings root in mere days in the summer (they root fast in winter too if you have a heat bed).

You don't need to and maybe shouldn't dig cottonwood up out of the ground, especially if it is protected in your area. But even relatively small cuttings develop fast. If you're wanting to be especially respectful of the species, then go look around during the winter after a wind storm and look for cuttings that have snapped off of cottonwoods and are now lying on the ground -- I have rooted winter-windstorm-snapped cottonwood cuttings collected off the ground which were as large as 47 inches long -- this species roots VERY VERY EASILY even for GIGANTIC cuttings and cuttings develop outrageously fast. Remember that when on you're on a hike.

Final tip, get used to hearing that it's a bad species for bonsai and remember point #2 above.
Useful information, thank you!

The local club would be your best first step. As others have recommended, find a local native nursery and look for species commonly found in your area that make pretty decent bonsai.
The Chinese elm is pretty indestructible but many local plants are probably just as good to start with. In my opinion, deciduous species are an easier beginner trees than conifers.

The local club would be your best first step. As others have recommended, find a local native nursery and look for species commonly found in your area that make pretty decent bonsai.
The Chinese elm is pretty indestructible but many local plants are probably just as good to start with. In my opinion, deciduous species are an easier beginner trees than conifers.

I’m not so sure I agree with that. The first tree I managed not to kill was a pine.

It’s true that deciduous trees can tolerate more aggressive pruning, but conifers are generally more tolerant of drought. Plus, conifers don’t need to be repotted as often, and they’re faster to develop. I would say they’re about even in terms of overall difficulty.

I’m not so sure I agree with that. The first tree I managed not to kill was a pine.

It’s true that deciduous trees can tolerate more aggressive pruning, but conifers are generally more tolerant of drought. Plus, conifers don’t need to be repotted as often, and they’re faster to develop. I would say they’re about even in terms of overall difficulty.
You have much more experience than me but pines confuse me. Deciduous you can plant in the ground and chop to a stump in a couple years and have a nice trunk right away. With pines you have to needle pluck, candle prune, do this at one time of year and something else another time a year. In New Mexico pines may make for an easier beginner tree, droughts aren't much of an issue in South FL where I am. Too much moisture is more of a problem for me.

As I said it was my opinion. Our opinions can differ.;)

Our opinions can differ.

That’s actually why I posted my reply to your comment. I think it’s important for someone “getting started” to see there’s not a single right way to do things. It’s all about tradeoffs.

That’s also what the quote in my signature block is about. The value of forums is in the conflicting information. You can glean more nuance from a debate than a speech.

Back
Top Bottom