hello there fellow "bonsai nuts" I'm newish to bonsai located in Kitsap county any pointers

You'll probably need to come with more specific questions for any useful feedback, rather than looking for general pointers on how to do bonsai. It varies with everyone's climates, all the different tree / shrub species, and various stages of development, etc... One solid pointer is to get yourself over to Elandan Gardens, which is in your neck of the woods, and stroll through that marvelous place. If Dan is around, he's full of bonsai knowledge and fun to chat with.

Ive grown a couple from seeds including black pines,Judas,willows,two kinds of juniper
Great Job! Welcome aboard Bonsai Nut. A couple hints.

The best thing to do when starting a thread is to:

- completely describe the situation in which advice is needed and
- post decent images showing the material
Once you do this we can give you the best help possible.

Also please enter the approximate location and your USDA zone by double clicking your icon atop the page, then click on account details and scroll down and enter these data. These data will appear on your icon in threads in the future and all Nutters will immediately see these data. This will save time for you and give us immediate clarity whenever you post within a thread.

Finally, you might think about joining PSBA they do have a study group that started up in your area.

Looking forward to seeing your future posts!

cheers
DSD SENDS

Welcome aboard!

I am also in the Kitsap County area. I enjoy growing all sorts of things from seeds. Growing trees from seed isn't for everyone. If you find that it is part of the hobby you take great enjoyment from, know that you have someone you can converse with in the local area. This site also has a plethora of information for the seeking individual.

If you have not done so already, I'd highly encourage acquiring some books about bonsai.

Principles of Bonsai Design 2nd Ed by Dave DeGroot is a great book explaining the artistic concepts that we use in bonsai.

It is great to hear that a study group associated with the PSBA has started up over here. I was thinking about signing up this year and this adds another incentive :p

The Evergreen Bonsai Club meets every 3rd Friday of the month at 7:00 PM at the location below. Consider dropping in if you happen to be nearby. It's a pretty small club and you can make some connections to other practitioners in Kitsap County.

Sheridan Park Community Center
680 Lebo Blvd.
Bremerton, WA 98310

hello and welcome to the forum from right across the Sound!

I have little to add to the above besides advising you to visit both the public collections that are available in the region. Right in your neck of the woods is Elandan Gardens, the collection of American bonsai pioneer Dan Robinson. A bit further away but totally worth the trip is the Pacific Bonsai Museum. Seeing great bonsai is key to making great bonsai.

I second the recommendations above to get involved in clubs. Study groups are great!
Principles of Bonsai Design 2nd Ed by Dave DeGroot is a great book explaining the artistic concepts that we use in bonsai.
Also second this recommendation. Dave is now the VP of the PSBA, and I see him at most meetings; he even helped me restyle one of my trees at my first club meeting this fall.

Hi @thomas_bons , I'm glad you fond this amazing bonsai site! When I first joined, I spent many happy hours perusing the past posts for advice.. I still consult if I have a question, and I keep an eye on the new posts too. I wish you much happiness in your bonsai journey.

Welcome aboard. There are tons of threads on the species you have - check them out. As you have more specific questions, just give a shout out.

Back
Top Bottom