Hello! New here and new to bonsai.

Love that there is someone here named @HorseloverFat who's been liking all these posts. PKD is one of my all-time favorite writers and VALIS is one of my favorite books!
YES YES YES!!!! The empire never ended!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (My youngest son's middle name is Kindred!!)

PLEASURE to make your acquaintance Libbie!!!

My greetings for newcomers are normally poetic and done in a minstrel-style, using native American mythos/tradition as "filler"….. but you being a PKD fan changes the rules.. 🤣🤣🤣

There has only been ONE other person to "recognize" my name.

A very big WELCOME from my "shanty" on lake Michigan to you, friend.

YES YES YES!!!! The empire never ended!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣 (My youngest son's middle name is Kindred!!)

PLEASURE to make your acquaintance Libbie!!!

My greetings for newcomers are normally poetic and done in a minstrel-style, using native American mythos/tradition as "filler"….. but you being a PKD fan changes the rules.. 🤣🤣🤣

There has only been ONE other person to "recognize" my name.

A very big WELCOME from my "shanty" on lake Michigan to you, friend.
Yay!!! I've found my people.

Welcome! Enjoy the hobby! Advice...
1. Be prepared to kill stuff.
2. Get more trees than you can take care of but less trees that you cant water daily.
3. Watch your sun. Get trees that are ideal for your lighting.

I have to add Valis to my reading list now. Ive read a handful pkd novels but not Valis.

2. Get more trees than you can take care of but less trees that you cant water daily.

I have to add Valis to my reading list now. Ive read a handful pkd novels but not Valis.
Thank you for the advice!

VALIS is a really wild ride. Brace yourself.

Get more trees than you can take care of but less trees that you cant water daily.
this is a good tip. If, like most of us here, you become quickly and deeply obsessed, you’ll want to get quite a few trees! I went from 3 this time last year to uhhh…20, or so? The extra trees give me more opportunities to apply technique, more options later down the line, and eventually, different phases of material to work.

My favorite species from nursery stock is Juniperus procumbens, or Japanese garden juniper, because it’s SO responsive to technique. I also really love our native mountain hemlocks, which I’ve heard also react really well.

@River's Edge is on Vancouver Island and his bonsai nursery would be a great resource.

Valis really good.. 'The Divine Invasion' is basically "Valis 2".. and "The transmigration of Timothy Archer" is like Valis 3... But it was finished by his son, as Phil died before it:s completion.

...I just reread "The Clans of the Alphane moon" and have just started "Flow my Tears, the Policeman said"...

I have almost an entire 'tier' of PKD

🤓

Thank you for the advice!
Also... If you plan on having a tropical/sub-tropicals/arid room for more tender genus plants (basically if you plan on wintering non-dormancy-requiring trees/shrubs/succs)... Embrace ficus. Most newcomers hear "Ficus ficus ficus"... But it takes a while to 'get it'. Trust me... Embrace Ficus and Punica.

🤓

Also for you, and others who live in this area... How active is the Quinalt community?

I currently live in an apartment with two balconies for my bonsai to live outdoors

It will be important to think about where your bonsai will go during winter. If you don't already have a plan, I would try connecting with a local club (list at link below) to find out where other members are keeping their trees. You can reach out to Tom Ulecki or Gerald Rainville to see if they rent out space in their cold frames over winter.

Some species might tolerate winter on your balcony in a pot, but others won't. Keep in mind that the goal isn't merely survival, but is also the preservation of delicate branches and our hard work.

If you happen to have an AC/heating compressor/pump/unit (whatever they're called) on your balcony as many apartments do here in Montreal, that's something to be mindful of as well.

Welcome! If you only have balcony space maybe start with ficus. You can admire them all winter and then try to sort out some space for overwintering temperate trees next year. I like to spend winter reading bonsai books and sketching plans for trees

It will be important to think about where your bonsai will go during winter. If you don't already have a plan, I would try connecting with a local club (list at link below) to find out where other members are keeping their trees. You can reach out to Tom Ulecki or Gerald Rainville to see if they rent out space in their cold frames over winter.

Some species might tolerate winter on your balcony in a pot, but others won't. Keep in mind that the goal isn't merely survival, but is also the preservation of delicate branches and our hard work.

If you happen to have an AC/heating compressor/pump/unit (whatever they're called) on your balcony as many apartments do here in Montreal, that's something to be mindful of as well.

That's great info--thank you. I am familiar with cold frames (having been a big vegetable gardener at my previous place) and I have room in the common area of this apartment to put up a cold frame for the winter, so I should be able to do it here.

Hi there, fellow Vancouver Islander : )

One other invaluable resource in our area is Frank Corrigan ( @River's Edge ). He has a small bonsai nursery in Qualicum, gives workshops and individual classes, and speaks at both the Victoria club and Arrowsmith Club in Nanoose. He has done a lot for me, bonsai-wise, here on Bonsainut and in person, and I consider him my mentor.

Welcome to Bonsai! It's an exciting and frustrating hobby... Mostly good though! It also good to have more women in the hobby which still has many more men involved at all levels.

I now live on the Olympic Peninsula, same climate zone as you (although I think the USDA is modifying that). I wholeheartedly endorse getting involved in the local bonsai club, including volunteering to help with shows/sales, joining the board, etc. You meet people & learn new stuff better that way.

Also, I had a big balcony in a condo in Seattle and never killed a tree until I moved to the peninsula, so you CAN do bonsai on a balcony, but maybe not get your trees to the next level of development. Getting great sun and a "whole sky" onto your trees seems to be the biggest drawback to an apartment deck.

If you go out Seattle way, come to a Puget Sound Bonsai Assn meeting. We have great demos and It's a very nice crowd. And PM me if you get out to Port Townsend at any point.

Best wishes! CalNicky

Hi there, fellow Vancouver Islander : )

One other invaluable resource in our area is Frank Corrigan ( @River's Edge ). He has a small bonsai nursery in Qualicum, gives workshops and individual classes, and speaks at both the Victoria club and Arrowsmith Club in Nanoose. He has done a lot for me, bonsai-wise, here on Bonsainut and in person, and I consider him my mentor.
Wonderful! Thank you. I'll get to know Frank and hopefully learn from him, too. :)

Welcome to Bonsai! It's an exciting and frustrating hobby... Mostly good though! It also good to have more women in the hobby which still has many more men involved at all levels.

I now live on the Olympic Peninsula, same climate zone as you (although I think the USDA is modifying that). I wholeheartedly endorse getting involved in the local bonsai club, including volunteering to help with shows/sales, joining the board, etc. You meet people & learn new stuff better that way.

Also, I had a big balcony in a condo in Seattle and never killed a tree until I moved to the peninsula, so you CAN do bonsai on a balcony, but maybe not get your trees to the next level of development. Getting great sun and a "whole sky" onto your trees seems to be the biggest drawback to an apartment deck.

If you go out Seattle way, come to a Puget Sound Bonsai Assn meeting. We have great demos and It's a very nice crowd. And PM me if you get out to Port Townsend at any point.

Best wishes! CalNicky
I have a good friend in PT so I get out there often (and I love that town... almost bought the Ann Starrett mansion the last time it was up for sale, ha ha.) And I get to Seattle often, as well. I'll be sure to drop in!

I'm very lucky in having a nice, big communal garden/yard space at my apartment and great neighbors in the building who are ok with my using it, as long as I don't leave any tripping hazards lying around. So I'll be able to get whole sky on my trees, happily. Thanks for tall the great advice!

Back
Top Bottom