Hello everyone ' new member here.

Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay. You're gonna love this place!
You have a nice start there!

BigBen
Thanks glad to hear that and thanks just.wing.it for the foot note on potting also for the warm welcome.

Are the needles very sharp to the touch? JBP will have a sharp prickle.
It's possible they are mugo pine, after seeing the close up. Getting a positive ID is really important before you start any work. It determines what kind of work should/could be done

Also, not sure if you're familiar with a technique called ground layering but it's not as intimidating as it seems and would greatly improve these trees, in my opinion. You're the artist, and it's your call/personal taste but the nebari on these trees aren't conventionally pleasing

Also, not sure if you're familiar with a technique called ground layering but it's not as intimidating as it seems and would greatly improve these trees, in my opinion. You're the artist, and it's your call/personal taste but the nebari on these trees aren't conventionally pleasing
I haven't personally tried it but from what I gather it's almost impossible to layer most pines.

@M. Frary I've heard it won't work on scots pine, but I read (for whatever that's worth) that most pines will respond to tourniquet. I really hope you're wrong or I'm going to have a lot of F***ed up pines in the near future haha. Can't say I'm currently filled with confidence

Welcome
I agree, most likely Japanese Black Pines. (JBP for short). I would make plans based on them being JBP. If I had to guess, they are probably older than 5 years. Probably younger than 15 years. Call them 7.5 years old, the median of the range. In person it is possible to get a better estimate. They do not need to be repotted immediately, spring 2018 or spring 2019 will be fine. I've seen many a tree like this.

East of SF, if you are near Sacramento, or Eureka, there is a bonsai artist who trained in Japan and has recently set up a bonsai nursery. Peter Tea is his name. His blog is informative and contains his email contact info. Tell him you would like to visit the nursery, bring a few of these trees along and get his advice. He probably won't ask, but if you spend more than 15 minutes picking his brain, consider offering payment for his time, bonsai is his sole source of income. Likely he'll refuse, but he will encourage you to sign up for one of the classes offered at the nursery.
https://peterteabonsai.wordpress.com/contact-me/

In San Francisco there is another bonsai nursery, Boon is the owner. Google him or someone can post a link to his nursery.

Are the needles very sharp to the touch? JBP will have a sharp prickle.
It's possible they are mugo pine, after seeing the close up. Getting a positive ID is really important before you start any work. It determines what kind of work should/could be done
Hi everyone, just wanted to share with you. I was able to tend my first bonsai show, put on by the Madori bonsai club in sanjose,ca. What a treat visually, spiritualy and educationally. I brought the little pines above and members there were able to tell me they are " mugo pine" . They also shared the good promise they have aside from a couple needing soil/mix to be brought up over some exposed roots. Is this what you mean by layering ? Well I seen some beautiful trees I was in "Awe" also a couple of vendors were there and had pre-bonsai plus stock ,I hope I got that right. I couldn't restrain myself from making a purchase in a couple of the stock that was there :) they are 1 a shimpacu & 2 a Holbert . I shared with the vendor i was new to bonsai but able to "keep plants green"I spent a bit of time with the gentleman that sold them to me, he then proceeded in assuring me i will do just fine in this world of bonsai. The people there were very nice and helpful.
Well thank you guys for allowing me to share my experiences with you and look forward to any help and suggestions along the way

Reactions: GGB
I immediately thought they were mugo pine upon seeing them, but then again, I don't have any JBP, so I'm not familiar enough to make a comparison. Welcome!

I immediately thought they were mugo pine upon seeing them, but then again, I don't have any JBP, so I'm not familiar enough to make a comparison. Welcome!

Thank you, while at the show they had JBP and set it next to my mugo and shared their two differences up until then I couldn't tell. I came away from this show with a good bit of knowledge. Trying not to get overwhelmed and end up forgetting what I had learned lol.

Welcome
I agree, most likely Japanese Black Pines. (JBP for short). I would make plans based on them being JBP. If I had to guess, they are probably older than 5 years. Probably younger than 15 years. Call them 7.5 years old, the median of the range. In person it is possible to get a better estimate. They do not need to be repotted immediately, spring 2018 or spring 2019 will be fine. I've seen many a tree like this.

East of SF, if you are near Sacramento, or Eureka, there is a bonsai artist who trained in Japan and has recently set up a bonsai nursery. Peter Tea is his name. His blog is informative and contains his email contact info. Tell him you would like to visit the nursery, bring a few of these trees along and get his advice. He probably won't ask, but if you spend more than 15 minutes picking his brain, consider offering payment for his time, bonsai is his sole source of income. Likely he'll refuse, but he will encourage you to sign up for one of the classes offered at the nursery.
https://peterteabonsai.wordpress.com/contact-me/

In San Francisco there is another bonsai nursery, Boon is the owner. Google him or someone can post a link to his nursery.
Thank you Leo , I see Peter Tea will be at a East Bay Club this weekend sharing a demonstration. Hope can make it. :)

Welcome, and I would say you have a few things that are very beneficial to bonsai. First, you are an opportunist and second, you have a good eye. All good scores it looks like you are off to the races. Now you just have to prep for spring by studying.

Back
Top Bottom