Hello Bonsai Nut!

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello dear Bonsaianer,

my name is Jonas. I have been made aware of this forum via a recommendation from @Jelle.

I have been "doing" bonsai for a few years now, but have only started to systematically expand my knowledge in the field in the last few months. By the way, this also includes my English bonsai vocabulary. Therefore, please forgive me the one or other translation or stupid questions.

My actual trees are a mixed collection from these what is more or less possible on my balcony

1x azalea - estimated 25 years old
1x rhododendron - nursery material prepared alone
4x 2 year old cuttings of a maple from my neighbour
2x chinese elm
5x japanese larch as 2-4 years
1x sophora japonica seedings
1x red maple seedlings
1x fucientee
1x spruce from the DIY store and my oldest plant, including all the beginner's mistakes you can make
1x young yamadori oak

The azalea was a givet and I had the first Time to Think about a good winter preparation for one of my trees.

Really got hooked on bonsai I was after enchanted by the blossom of a larch in spring at Werner Busch`s Bonsai Werkstatt.
Mr Busch said: "Only bonsai maniacs really see something like that!”

Shortly afterwards, I took a course with his son. In addition to learning about the care of my trees, I was able to learn so much about the trees that the other course participants had brought with them. Such great trees that you usually only see in YouTube reports. Each one unique. I was thrilled and since then I have been thinking more carefully about which tree I would like to design next time. Chinese juniper is one absolutely exciting tree because of its flexibility and the excellent deadwood possibilities. However, I would prefer one in Chokkan with very little deadwood details along the trunk.

Here in the forum I registered because I simply wanted to dive much deeper into the subject Bonsai and got a recommendation from @leatherback.

I would like to ask you for advice on my latest design at the rhododendron.
I have tried to reduce the new branches to 2 and in the long term the tree should be placed in the pot at a slight angle. I want to give the impression that it is growing on the slope of a mountain. The wirework is still not so good as it could be and I used wound paste on the tree for the first time. But all in all what do you think?

Mittel (IMG_8163).jpegMittel (IMG_8164).jpegMittel (IMG_8165).jpeg

I'm exited look ahead to the discussions here in the forum and am excited to meet you, your trees and the great exchange!
For me, bonsai is part of a great wabisabi lifestyle.

Bests, Jonas

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum, I hope you find a lot of the info useful! I know I have.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
welcome to our little study group! you'll find that the people here are helpful and often give great advice.

I recommend digging into old progression threads, as well as some of the top thread on each of the various subfora.

I don't have any particular advice on your rhody, besides that you seem to have done a great job applying the wire, but now you need to add some bends!
By the way, this also includes my English bonsai vocabulary. Therefore, please forgive me the one or other translation or stupid questions.
It must be a rule of the internet that anyone who disclaims their skills of English has no need to. I swear that central Europeans speak better English than either the Brits or Americans.

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey! Welcome! Don't sweat the English at all, bc (I hope) the folks at Bonsainut are classier than that!

Looking forward to seeing more of you around here

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
welcome to our little study group! you'll find that the people here are helpful and often give great advice.

I recommend digging into old progression threads, as well as some of the top thread on each of the various subfora.

I don't have any particular advice on your rhody, besides that you seem to have done a great job applying the wire, but now you need to add some bends!

It must be a rule of the internet that anyone who disclaims their skills of English has no need to. I swear that central Europeans speak better English than either the Brits or Americans.
😂 I’ve been “hit.”

TreeJey

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the kind welcome. I've been rummaging through the forums for days and nights and keep finding new interesting approaches that I would like to try out at some point. I am curious where the journey will take me.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Welcome! Well…..it’s about time you joined.
Along the forum journey don’t get frustrated or disappointed with criticism. We all get plenty of it. And…you started out great….photos. The photos you provide are incredibly helpful. Before long I fully expect you to post a message reply to someone else that says…can you post some photos? And another post asking someone to post their location in their profile. Welcome aboard!

Top Bottom