Hardiness in colder climates

Don't dig up that "unknown" at the expense of annoying your wife. That's kind of straight and uninteresting.

Maybe someone else can comment on the maple. It's probably grafted (not ideal), and I don't know much about their tendencies other than that.

Let's see the yew!

Yew (probably uninteresting too since it's also rather straight)
yew.jpg

Unknown 2
unknown2.jpg

And there's a bunch of lilac, prunus schubert and a hibiscus (which I suspect are probably uninteresting)

The thing with the yew is that it should grow new sprouts even out of the very old wood. So if you were to take your time shortening that, thinning branches and getting sunlight to the trunk, you would get new growth for branches pretty much wherever you'd want, and those straight trunks could be carved into new forms. Plus, if you dig down below the soil line, there could be some more interest there.

At a glance, it's nothing special, but maybe keep an open mind and play with it. Learn about it, see how it grows and reacts etc. Provided you don't annoy your wife.

The thing with the yew is that it should grow new sprouts even out of the very old wood. So if you were to take your time shortening that, thinning branches and getting sunlight to the trunk, you would get new growth for branches pretty much wherever you'd want, and those straight trunks could be carved into new forms. Plus, if you dig down below the soil line, there could be some more interest there.

At a glance, it's nothing special, but maybe keep an open mind and play with it. Learn about it, see how it grows and reacts etc. Provided you don't annoy your wife.

it's hard to tell the trunk size on the pic, but it's pretty big! I was wondering if perhaps air layering one of the 2 big branches(trunks?) on the left might be an option so as to not completely remove the tree and keep my wife happy :p

Haha sure enough, after some more googling, found it. It’s actually mentioned on a website that sells them as bonsais
This is the case with some information out there. There are very few trees that can survive inside and fewer still that can be inside year round. Tropicals can with the right conditions, but most folks have them outside summer and bring in for winter. There are no temperate trees that I am aware of that don't need dormancy.

“no light required during dormant period” apply to conifers too? Unlike deciduous, they still have foliage during winter!
yes if they are dormant they don't need light. Think about all the conifers that get buried completely in snowy areas in the winter.... Darkness will help keep them in dormancy if you get temperature swings too.

I kept 3 hinoki cypress here for a few year until they got ate. I kept them outside all year. I'm zone 4. Snow cover is a miraculous thing.

yes if they are dormant they don't need light. Think about all the conifers that get buried completely in snowy areas in the winter.... Darkness will help keep them in dormancy if you get temperature swings too.

Awesome! Thanks for answering the question! That actually makes a lot of sense... Sounds like the shed and a remote thermometer might be an promising option.

I kept 3 hinoki cypress here for a few year until they got ate. I kept them outside all year. I'm zone 4. Snow cover is a miraculous thing.

Good to hear! Mine might stand a chance in that case! Hoping we get a lot of snow this winter but, the last few years have been a bit weird in terms of both weather and snow fall!

Related question: I see junipers mentioned a lot as good "cold climate" trees, however, I'm finding conflicting info when trying to find out the Shimpaku's lowest hardiness zone... I've seen it listed as zone 4 at some places, and 6a on other places... anyone has any experience with them in a cold climate? Should I perhaps look for a different specie of junipers that are more cold-hardy? (and if so which ones? nursery close to my home has a ton of different species).

Related question: I see junipers mentioned a lot as good "cold climate" trees, however, I'm finding conflicting info when trying to find out the Shimpaku's lowest hardiness zone... I've seen it listed as zone 4 at some places, and 6a on other places... anyone has any experience with them in a cold climate? Should I perhaps look for a different specie of junipers that are more cold-hardy? (and if so which ones? nursery close to my home has a ton of different species).
I keep procumbens, sargents, and parsons on the ground, against the side of the house out of wind. i dont heel the pot in the ground or mulch or anything in zone 5. I have one shimpaku I kept in the unheated garage with a a plank floor not a concrete slab so its just as cold inside there as it is outside just no wind. No problems so far. I might even keep the shimp with the others tbis year and see how it does. But I'm 97% sure it will do just fine. Also, the areas just adjecent to the foundation of my house stay considerably warmer. You may notice all the snow melts there about 6-8 inches out no matter what the outside temp is... A little testing and I might even be able keep less cold hardy trees there. Say zone 6 trees in zone 5. I have a young quince I'm going to test it on this year

Also, the areas just adjecent to the foundation of my house stay considerably warmer. You may notice all the snow melts there about 6-8 inches out no matter what the outside temp is...

Oh good point, definitely seeing the same thing here! That's something I never considered.
Thanks a bunch for all the valuable info!

@silvertab ,

the idea is if in a pot drop, back at least a zone --------- so zone 5 in pot goes to zone 6 or even 7.

However you can always test taking sheets of styro tex and building a shape in your shed, see
if you can store and hold heat. Like a styro ice box.

In the zone 7, the idea is to lift the tree out of the pot, or enter into the soil and cover with
organic materials- leaves or straw for example.
The earth then acts as the heater and the leaves decaying may also add heat.

You can also winter in a fridge. I understand quite a few Canadians will winter maples in
fridges.

We winter in an old fridge to vegetable crisper temperature.For zone 9 trees [ Celtis /Gingko ]
From January 20th or so until April 1st. since around 1980,.
You may wish to attract the Canadians of the Bonsai societies.
They are here as well.
Good Luck
Good Day
Anthony

Back
Top Bottom