Hackberry #2

Please take a look at post #31, @milehigh_7 beat you to it...
Unless you are talking about actual positioning in the pot, and I'll take a look at that as well.
Yes, the actual positioning. It appears to be smack in the middle of the pot. Given the design of the tree, I'm not sure I see why positioning in the center would be advantageous over the more traditional offset position. Usually with an oval or rectangular pot, an informal upright tree is offset based on where the trunk line terminates. This would work very well if you end up not tilting the tree back on its heel.

I will keep this in my notes for spring, it gets repotted every year, so I'll move and tilt and show the results. Thanks ever so much guys!

Thanks for this thread! And the other one. Both hackberries are inspiring.

I just got a celtis sinensis from Don Blackmond in June, and I really like it. It really needs pruning and repotting, and I might be asking for advice from you when the time comes.

Thanks for this thread! And the other one. Both hackberries are inspiring.

I just got a celtis sinensis from Don Blackmond in June, and I really like it. It really needs pruning and repotting, and I might be asking for advice from you when the time comes.
Let's see it! That is where my larger one came from, he has great material, and has had some really cool hackberries.

Let's see it! That is where my larger one came from, he has great material, and has had some really cool hackberries.
Here 'tis. I'd love to have your suggestions you have for pruning, by the way. It's 7 1/2" from the top of the pot.

Last edited:
Judy,

Very nice tree! Something about it felt "off" but I couldn't put my finger on it. I think it's the lean and adjusting the potting angle makes it feel more realistic to me. In any case, still an enjoyable image.

Hey @CamdenJim that is a very nice little tree. How are you storing it in your climate over the winter? I would be doing cutback to this in a warm climate now, and getting some wire on it.

Hey @CamdenJim that is a very nice little tree. How are you storing it in your climate over the winter? I would be doing cutback to this in a warm climate now, and getting some wire on it.
Judy, January and February can have a few bitter days, so I won't do much until late January at the earliest. I'll start with basic cleanup, cut-backs, and wiring in mid to late January. If I do it now, I could have a few weeks of warm weather that would stimulate growth too early.
It's like trying to grow tulips here. Buy the bulbs, plant them and get lovely blossoms for one year, but don't count on a repeat the next.
I don't want that to happen to this tree.
It will go "under cover" around Christmas, along with my maples, until late January. Even then, I'll treat it very carefully until March.

Judy, January and February can have a few bitter days, so I won't do much until late January at the earliest. I'll start with basic cleanup, cut-backs, and wiring in mid to late January. If I do it now, I could have a few weeks of warm weather that would stimulate growth too early.
It's like trying to grow tulips here. Buy the bulbs, plant them and get lovely blossoms for one year, but don't count on a repeat the next.
I don't want that to happen to this tree.
It will go "under cover" around Christmas, along with my maples, until late January. Even then, I'll treat it very carefully until March.
Sounds like a decent plan. One thing that I've found about these, is that after you prune back to a bud during the growing season, they don't always put out more than just more tip growth. But if you let the branch run a little longer, they'll start to pop side buds, and then you can prune back.

Sounds like a decent plan. One thing that I've found about these, is that after you prune back to a bud during the growing season, they don't always put out more than just more tip growth. But if you let the branch run a little longer, they'll start to pop side buds, and then you can prune back.
Thanks, Judy. That's good to know.

Got a new pot for this tree from Owen Reich at our study group yesterday. It's a Max Braverman, such a great glaze and shape.
This one has been growing strong, so I did a fall repot on it, the pot was only a tiny bit shallower than my current pot. It's a far better color, planting off center is better, and spread apart the daughter from the mother.... study groups w/Owen are the best.
Too shaggy right now, but that will have to wait for late winter pruning.
P1030210.jpgP1030211.jpgP1030212.jpg

Thought I'd post a photo of this tree from the Natl. exhibition this year to this thread. I wish I had put the early pics of this tree here, but I don't think I started this thread till I'd had the tree for a while. It has been an enjoyable journey.tree.jpg

Back
Top Bottom