Grewia progression

It's loving the summer heat and humidity. The previous days flowers are removed in the morning......within 1-1/2 hours it looks like this again and again. By the end of day the bumbles bees have beat the crap out of the flowers and so begins the cycle. This tree just keeps on giving.

View attachment 391191
I love seeing this tree! I have just never had much luck with them. :(

Just getting ready to cut all those flower buds off for the spring cutback. So I decided on a new look this year in terms of pot color. Previously I was trying to do the complimentary colors of the lavender/yellow. I'm not really a "blue pot" person but I think I'm likin' it this year with pink/blue. I've finally got a matte blue that I like. I'm offering the old pot on the 2022 spring pots thread.

IMG_4442.JPGIMG_0152.jpeg

Just getting ready to cut all those flower buds off for the spring cutback. So I decided on a new look this year in terms of pot color. Previously I was trying to do the complimentary colors of the lavender/yellow. I'm not really a "blue pot" person but I think I'm likin' it this year with pink/blue. I've finally got a matte blue that I like. I'm offering the old pot on the 2022 spring pots thread.

View attachment 422191View attachment 422192
The new pot is da' bomb and as I say every time I see this tree, I love it. It always makes me want to try a Grewia again, but I just can't keeep them.

The new pot is da' bomb and as I say every time I see this tree, I love it. It always makes me want to try a Grewia again, but I just can't keeep them.
Thanks! I know how that is. I can’t keep BRTs. My pals all have one, same conditions, same soil as me but………. Might make a good thread “Trees that don’t like me”.

After the yearly haircut. This is the only time of year you can actually see the structure of the tree. Notice the end of the lower left branch. It open up after I was done. This tree just keeps on giving. Even though it doesn't have a traditional nebari, I think it work well to give a more anthropomorphic posture. Very feminine.

IMG_4450.JPG

Excellent tree! Love those little flowers! It’s structure reminds me so much of a ficus of mine. Alas no flowers for me though. 😩

Here we go again with new shoes! Although I really like the blue with pink flowers, the hard corners of the old pot really didn't compliment the very feminine tree. This new pot is 2 inches wider than the previous one which I think can accommadate the larger canopy that has developed. The footprint is actually smaller than the previous pot given the extreme rake of the sides. So the soil volume is probably equal to the old one. The simpler lines don't detract from its flower.

You may notice I recycled the moss that was already growing on the surface. Once repotted I use chopped, wet sphagnum (cut up with scissors) to cover the surface. I then place the old moss on top sporadically. Once placed, it's important to put more sphagnum in between the patches of green. This keeps the edges of the living moss patches moist. During the growing season these patches will spread to cover the entire surface.
I will prune to shape the tree mid-March.

The old pot is available.

IMG_4578.JPG

Here we go again with new shoes! Although I really like the blue with pink flowers, the hard corners of the old pot really didn't compliment the very feminine tree. This new pot is 2 inches wider than the previous one which I think can accommadate the larger canopy that has developed. The footprint is actually smaller than the previous pot given the extreme rake of the sides. So the soil volume is probably equal to the old one. The simpler lines don't detract from its flower.

You may notice I recycled the moss that was already growing on the surface. Once repotted I use chopped, wet sphagnum (cut up with scissors) to cover the surface. I then place the old moss on top sporadically. Once placed, it's important to put more sphagnum in between the patches of green. This keeps the edges of the living moss patches moist. During the growing season these patches will spread to cover the entire surface.

View attachment 473811
I always enjoy seeing updates on this tree and I love the new pot. Because of you, I'm giving Grewia a try again. So far, so good, it's been blooming sporadically all winter.

Just read this whole thread and what a wonderful progression thread. The fact that you can design & create whatever pot you want blows my mind. Awesome work. :)

@Michigan Tree Murderer Forget to mention this in your thread but mine gets the drops and some gooey stuff on the leaves over winter. All cut off mid-March.

This year I put it in a mix of akadama, kanuma and pumice with a dash of charcoal. They are an acid loving plant. My guess is about 40%A, 30%-K, 30%-P. I didn't use more kanuma just not to shock the tree and to see if there is any difference in vigor/health. Not sure I'll be able to notice. Just an experiment.

We had a string of above normal temps and sun this spring so it was put out early to get leaves acclimated early. Some places it was cut back to one or two leaves and others, no leaves. You can see how it buds back profusely. Some of these buds will peter-out after the tree fills in. Many of the old leaves have yellowed and fallen/cut off and the rest not far behind. I think one thing that's noticeably different in this older tree is how the flower buds start forming close to the newly emerging leaves. Typically they form at the end of a fairly leggy twig. I'm not sure if this can be accomplished with a creative pruning regime or it's just being in a pot for 30 years.

IMG_1642.jpegIMG_1641.jpegIMG_1640.jpeg

@Michigan Tree Murderer Forget to mention this in your thread but mine gets the drops and some gooey stuff on the leaves over winter. All cut off mid-March.

This year I put it in a mix of akadama, kanuma and pumice with a dash of charcoal. They are an acid loving plant. My guess is about 40%A, 30%-K, 30%-P. I didn't use more kanuma just not to shock the tree and to see if there is any difference in vigor/health. Not sure I'll be able to notice. Just an experiment.

We had a string of above normal temps and sun this spring so it was put out early to get leaves acclimated early. Some places it was cut back to one or two leaves and others, no leaves. You can see how it buds back profusely. Some of these buds will peter-out after the tree fills in. Many of the old leaves have yellowed and fallen/cut off and the rest not far behind. I think one thing that's noticeably different in this older tree is how the flower buds start forming close to the newly emerging leaves. Typically they form at the end of a fairly leggy twig. I'm not sure if this can be accomplished with a creative pruning regime or it's just being in a pot for 30 years.
Good to know. I was looking for some when I was looking at the pics. :) I appreciate all the advice and wisdom.

What a great tree! Thank you for sharing the progress!
Any tips on over wintering? I am in Atlanta GA and I think I may need to keep it indoors during the winter months?

Back
Top Bottom