Grewia progression

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So here's a Grewia post.
History- Started from a cutting 1991. Nurtured as a flowering ornamental by my mother until 2012. I would give periodic haircuts once or twice a year on my visits. These haircuts implied bonsai. The grow was always long and leggy because of how the flowers form. First pic was after putting it into an available bonsai pot and a severe pruning Dec 2, 2012.

Letting it grow out - July 29, 2013

Attachments

• _MG_0723.jpg
    _MG_0723.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 373
  • _MG_1201.JPG
    _MG_1201.JPG
    258.1 KB · Views: 354
May 22 2014. An even more severe pruning and root reduction into a much smaller pot. Hmmmm? My thought was to try to slow it down to get flowers on shorter branching. Kinda of successful...but still pretty wild looking July 1, 2014. The smaller pot really doesn't complement any aspect of the tree.

Attachments

• _MG_1513.jpg
    _MG_1513.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 295
June 3 2015. Moderate spring pruning and some wiring to try to give direction and take out some wildness. June 6 - Seeing that wiring/bending the branch would put the flowers in closer proximity to the rest of the foliage I began wiring all the branches into S-curves and pulling them down. The tails of the wires were left on so as it grew (quite vigorous) the branch could be continuously wired and shape. July 7 - Many of the branches have out-grown the wire and have been cut off and replaced. Put in a new pot color to complement the purple flowers and the corners altered to collaborate the shape of the flower.

Attachments

• IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_2152.JPG
    IMG_2152.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 285
The tree seems to be just a green triangle with posies. No place for the birds to fly through. So....what do you think? Is this just the growth habit and be happy with where it is? Try to build some negative space into a kinda boring triangle? Does the pot fit the tree? Up for discussion?

Thanks....any thoughts on the other questions.

Sure. I would like to see into the canopy a little more, yes. I think I would also prefer if the apex was rounded a little.

I'd like to see the foliage brought in just a little...but then you wouldn't have flowers...

Sure. I would like to see into the canopy a little more, yes. I think I would also prefer if the apex was rounded a little.

I'd like to see the foliage brought in just a little...but then you wouldn't have flowers...
The material doesn't seem to be one that will become tightly ramified...at least so far. Anyone have experience with this material?

Grewia has been difficult for me. No matter what I do, I can't seem to tighten up the internodes.

I'm personally not a fan of the 2015 pot. The bright orange and sharp corners create too stark of a contrast for me. I also agree with zachkent that it's too sharp of a triangle at the top. Maybe round it out and try to define some pads like for something like this...?

grewia+bonsai.JPG

First...Wow that is a chubby grewia!! I guess I never saw one grown in it natural environment. I'm with you on the pointy top....I'm or it's working (growing) on that point. My nodes seem to be close enough but I don't get tight terciary branching. I think this is what makes it difficult to create pads. Your flowers are on short branches....how do you do that? Maybe your zone? I'm zone 5b. Thanks for the crit on the pot. Any info you can ad is appreciated.

First...Wow that is a chubby grewia!! I guess I never saw one grown in it natural environment. I'm with you on the pointy top....I'm or it's working (growing) on that point. My nodes seem to be close enough but I don't get tight terciary branching. I think this is what makes it difficult to create pads. Your flowers are on short branches....how do you do that? Maybe your zone? I'm zone 5b. Thanks for the crit on the pot. Any info you can ad is appreciated.

The picture I attached isn't mine. I'm a long ways away from that. It's one I just have saved as inspiration for my Grewia.

Mine is here: http://www.bonsainut.com/index.php?threads/lavender-star-flower-grewia.19209/

It recovered from its fungus issue and is throwing out long leggy growth (likely due to the fact that my tiny balcony isn't getting as much sun as it should).

Thanks for the links....very helpful!! One linked said "only use aluminum wire". I haven't found copper wire to be a problem at all. I use a very inorganic soil mix (a little peat) but the tree can get wilty pretty quick on a hot day. It is a bit of a water suck. One thing with using all the S-curves is that growing out will hopefully put on some wood, and give it some health, without it looking too rank and wild. It'll be interesting to see what under there when I cut it back.
About your yellow leaf drop.....Mine drops almost every leaf in early spring as it gets ready to start pushing. It also drops leaves regularly through the growing season. It definitely like sun. It flowers more prolifically on the side that faces afternoon sun.

Very nice tree. I agree with the comment about the pointy top. A little more rounded would be nice. I also think adding some negative space would enhance the aesthetic. Oh, and I also like the pot. My first thought was that it was a good change. Looking more critically though, it does stand out a bit much. The bonsai pot is supposed to compliment the tree without drawing the eye away. I guess I could go either way with that one.

Looking more critically though, it does stand out a bit much. The bonsai pot is supposed to compliment the tree without drawing the eye away. I guess I could go either way with that one.
I guess that's what happens in using an unconventional pot. It's bit more yellow in person. My thoughts on it change from day to day, but I haven't seen anything I like better.....yet.

In the wild they sometimes forms rounded little trees, but they like to also form scrambling bushes that uses other scrubs to support them. They are half bush/tree and half almost climber :)
They are profusing flowerists. Beautiful site all summer long in the wild...

In the wild they sometimes forms rounded little trees, but they like to also form scrambling bushes that uses other scrubs to support them. They are half bush/tree and half almost climber :)
They are profusing flowerists. Beautiful site all summer long in the wild...
Nice to hear about their natural growth habit. From my experience it does seem to be viney. Mine doesn't seem to totally stop flowering. Even when cut back it's not long till buds show up. Might be nice to use one in a landscape planting and let it interact with the other trees as you described.

Observation
To see if cutting off old flowers would increase flowering, as an experiment, I chose to cut all the open flowers off at the end of the day....about 7 PM. The next morning - 9 AM, voila, a whole new crop - more prolific and evenly distributed. The second time I did this I wanted to see how early they come out and went out early- 6:30 AM- to see. What I found were these little guys prying open the ripe flower buds. The bud pictured is being double-teamed. Not sure if they actually open it or just expedite the process, but they sure do like 'em. By the end of day the flowers have the crap beat out of them and need to be cut off.

Attachments

• IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    308.1 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0414.JPG
    IMG_0414.JPG
    491.3 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    235.5 KB · Views: 306
Back
Top Bottom