Grapes, what would you pay for these?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
IMG_20220810_175728.jpg
I found these. Wondering if I should just buy more and sell them. But I want to know if it's worth the effort.
What kind of money would you lay down for one of these?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Those are pretty nice stumps, I would be interested if I were on your side if the pond.

Personally I’d probably pay between 100-200. However, this is just a wild guess. Maybe others would pay more or less, I don’t know.

hope this helps with your “market study” :)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would say a lot of the price has to deal with who is selling them.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Does the owner have any near finished grapes…could make the descision based on if the leaves reduce? If not, maybe buy only 1.
Looks like a fun subject.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've been playing with a grapevines for 15 years. Never killed one, but never used them as bonsai either.
Leaves hardly reduce.
I'd be the one selling them.

Origin: Italy.
Age: compared to my own grapevine I'd say 20-40 years old.

Think of these as starter plants. What's the price range you guys would go for?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 450830
I found these. Wondering if I should just buy more and sell them. But I want to know if it's worth the effort.
What kind of money would you lay down for one of these?
A novice would pay more than a seasoned veteran. I played around with a couple of them for about 10 years and never could get the leaves to reduce. Some are okay with that and some are not. I have no idea what someone would be willing to pay for these in Netherlands. In my area, as they sit maybe $50 or so.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A novice would pay more than a seasoned veteran. I played around with a couple of them for about 10 years and never could get the leaves to reduce. Some are okay with that and some are not. I have no idea what someone would be willing to pay for these in Netherlands. In my area, as they sit maybe $50 or so.
I would love to know where to purchase a similar stump for 50 bucks!

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would have thought people would pay more for those. After all, they are around 20-40 years old, according to OP's estimates. The first one has an interesting trunk, in my opinion. I think that in the right hands, something great could come out of them. I have a very old grapevine too and wouldn't sell it for $50-$100, even if it's raw material

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would have thought people would pay more for those. After all, they are around 20-40 years old, according to OP's estimates. The first one has an interesting trunk, in my opinion. I think that in the right hands, something great could come out of them. I have a very old grapevine too and wouldn't sell it for $50-$100, even if it's raw material
Grape.jpg

If we were talking about a grape like this then it would be a totally different story. I'm not trying to insult anyone but realistically there's not much there and you still have to deal with the lack of leaf reduction. Been there, done that.

Ruddigger

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
The thing with grapes is that the leaves dont reduce, so they look best as a large tree, in my opinion. I’d pay a few hundred for a nice big trunk. One that size, I’d pay 50-75

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Grape stumps sell well here in the states, but I think mostly people keep them as container plants with a espalier or trellis setup. I don't recall seeing them as bonsai. However there is definitely a market and I see stumps like that regularly going for $100+... just not for bonsai.

Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Grape stumps sell well here in the states, but I think mostly people keep them as container plants with a espalier or trellis setup. I don't recall seeing them as bonsai. However there is definitely a market and I see stumps like that regularly going for $100+... just not for bonsai.
Charlotte is full of rich people. :p

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Been seeing them in the past in nursery trade here for about 50 bucks.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Wires_Guy_wires stick a price on them that makes you a decent or reasonable profit. See if they sell. If they don't move by winter relist them at a lower price the next year. Don't discount a plant to a price that it is a loss for you. Either get "full price" or give it away as a gift. I was given that advice and it improved my orchid business greatly. I quit the "discounts sales", got full price for more plants, gave away a few more plants than I had previously, and composted more inferior plants. This improved my "rep" and my sales. Get your full mark up.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Walter has a thread on one
2019-07-tsb_0626ofw-jpg.252450

I see them in the nurseries sometimes with thick trunks, just not my cup of tea.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Charlotte is full of rich people. :p
LOL mainly California. Go tour Marin county and the wineries and you will see a lot of them for sale... but they ain't cheap. What a lot of people don't know is that most wine grapes today are grown on US grape rootstock. Sometimes the graft of the expensive grape scion fails, and they are left with a chunky rootstock too old to be reused. So they sell them. If they aren't labelled with the grape variety, it is probably just rootstock. But I have also seen some that are labelled with the type of grape that is grafted on top.

They also sell tons of dead vine skeletons to the pet trade, where they are used in aquariums and reptile enclosures.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom