Going to freeze tonight - how worried about weird weather?!

music~maker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yeah, the next week is going to be annoying. Plants starting to leaf out like light, and I can't easily give them light because it's too cold. Luckily they're just starting, so should be OK for a bit longer in my basement.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I am looking at a potential to go as low as +13 F tonight (-10 C), this is after 3 weeks of above freezing weather daily. My trees stored outdoors, under the bonsai benches have had buds swell, but none have opened, so I figure they will be fine. My trees in the well house, many have started to push leaves, but I left them there because I knew we would have a killing freeze. So today I had to move nothing, no aching back for me. I usually leave my trees in the well house until the maples in the landscape have not only flowers open, but have started to open leaves. I figure if the trees in the ground think its time to wake up, it probably is. Maple flowers often come before the last killing frost, but they rarely open leaves before the last frost. So if you can, wait until you see leaves beginning to unfurl, before putting more than you can carry in one or two trips outside.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My trees stored outdoors, under the bonsai benches have had buds swell, but none have opened, so I figure they will be fine. My trees in the well house, many have started to push leaves, but I left them there because I knew we would have a killing freeze. So today I had to move nothing, no aching back for me.
Difference between 30yrs and 3 yrs Leo... And why I come to this site everyday. Thanks
What I left alone on the north foundation is still dormant. What I had to mess with cuz I saw buds swell have been repotted because I was excited about the spring like weather we have been getting. I carried many today. My back aches... LOL
Better storage plan on the north side next year with them being left alone as long as possible. Live and learn, Well I hope they live:)

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Except for a few that are always outside, all my stuff is still in my garage... there is windows that provide sunlight in afternoon....many of mine are leafing out too and flowering, but they are all OK.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm in Maryland n it's in the twenties now,we are predicting a foot of snow this time next week I'm at a lose,daffodils blooming,tulips,trees this is the craziest I've ever seen mother nature

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah, us NE people gonna fight winter a little longer.

Luckily I only have to move a few. The collected privets and hibiscus syriacus will be chilling in ice, which they don't mind at all!
Group1_zpszuexf2w0.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I am in Maryland having fun with the dopey weather. I have a couple of young maples I keep outside...they have new buds...if it gets too cold....below 30° I move 'em into the garage. Sounds like some folk move their trees into the house....but does moving from a semi cold temp, i.e., outside to a warm house a bit of a shock to the tree?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Looking at possibly +13 F at the SW Michigan family owned blueberry farm. I have not been there in 2 weeks, but flower buds were ready to separate from the winter bud, things were moving. In tight bud, blueberries are good to -18 F. but once buds start expanding, cold hardiness drops off quick. Where they are now I think +18F is going to kill most of the flowers. Probably not much of a crop this year. Good news, I can put time into other activities on the farm. Fortunately, I don't have pay the mortgage with proceeds from the farm. So no panic here.

I feel bad for the cherry, peach, & apricot growers, they will likely be wiped out entirely in Michigan. These fruit trees tend to bloom before the blueberries. The apples flower shortly after blueberries, so they might not loose all their flowers.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
We had very strong winds and pouring rain last week, on the atlantic coast (about 200 miles from where I live), trees fell on roads or in the yard of a high school, several people injured and a few dead.

Today, 8°C (46,4 F) at night, no wind, very sunny and 18°C (64,4 F) in the afternoon! Crazy weather, aye...

They forecast a slight drop in temperatures (3-5 and 11-15) for the coming two weeks, but there can still be some occasional frost until the beginning of May, but it's becoming very exceptional.

I sometimes wonder if man doesn't have a responsability in that... o_O

I think that even Mike Pence agrees with the first 7 seconds in this video from the Nat Geo:

Sorry, just couldn't help it :oops:

Last edited:

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Going to get down to at least -2F. tonight here.

That's cold for this time of year!

We had that here a couple nights ago. The long term forcast shows daytime temps above freezing for the next two weeks. I still have a solid 5 feet of snow atop my trees. The snow is still dry down low but probably will be getting wet by the end of the week. The trees will have a long soggy period this year while it all melts off.

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I feel bad for the cherry, peach, & apricot growers, they will likely be wiped out entirely in Michigan. These fruit trees tend to bloom before the blueberries. The apples flower shortly after blueberries, so they might not loose all their flowers.
My peach has swelling but unopened buds and hope they may make it. Teens in the 10 day forecast as well here.
What is a good sealer to put on large cuts? Like 4-5 inch ones. My dad used roofing patch for our old apple. LOL I have waterproof wood glue but...
Off topic I know. sorry Kinda just a thread for us to rant about crazy weather anyway:)

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Return to full-blown cold winter conditions here, and a major snow storm on the way. Most trees are in a heated shed.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It was warm here and froze again a few days back. I had posted some pictures of the freezing and defrosting plants I keep in water outside. It snowed yesterday and will remain cold but here it is unusual, very unusual what they forecast for Tuesday -

Might be snow.JPG

Average temperature here is usually 44F - 45F for comparison.

Grimmy

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We're forecast similar lows but no 12 inch of snow! yuk

Alberello

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Looking at possibly +13 F at the SW Michigan family owned blueberry farm. I have not been there in 2 weeks, but flower buds were ready to separate from the winter bud, things were moving. In tight bud, blueberries are good to -18 F. but once buds start expanding, cold hardiness drops off quick. Where they are now I think +18F is going to kill most of the flowers. Probably not much of a crop this year. Good news, I can put time into other activities on the farm. Fortunately, I don't have pay the mortgage with proceeds from the farm. So no panic here.

Yeah we lost all our native peaches here in Connecticut last year. Hopefully Those poor guys don't have back to back seasons wiped out.

Top Bottom